Nook Color - rainbow screen - stuck - PLEASE HELP

motkaf

Jun 9, 2011
Hello world, please help me.

I've been messing around with my 1-day-old nook color in order to make it into an adroid tablet. First i'll state my problem, then i'll give the details of everything i've done to the nook with as much detail as possible.

problem: upon boot up i get a cursive nook color screen which then proceeds to an "n" above that is grey, then a rainbow color flowing "color" below.

1. I used an autoroot on my SD card with the Cyanogenmod7 this morning. EVertything worked great, but the Cyanogenmod would only run with the SD card in the nook. if taken out the nook would revert back to barnes and noble normal mode. I decided i want to fully root because i couldn't get netflix to work.

2. i proceeded with the manual nooter 4.5.25 ... installed it through the 2gbClowork Recover 3.0.0.5. Then installed the Cyanogenmod7 through that. Upon reboot the nook color screen with the rainbow stayed up for a long time.

3. I used the factory restore instructions nook-complete-restore-1.0.1 using this dude's video
. I was getting an error when trying to format the data - ERROR FORMATTING DATA. upon restart it went to the barnes and noble screen first, then to the nook color rainbow screen and stuck.

4. since then i've tried doing all sorts of formatting through the Clockwork recovery, clearing caches, delvik cashes, system, boot, etc. the restoring again. tryed butting cyanogen on again. and tried using AUTOROOTER2.25.

same result every time.

Please help - i need a way to zap the stupid rainbow nook color thing out of the memory of the nook so that i can proceed to load other ROM's or go to the original Barnes and Noble mode.

Thank you

Matvey

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hello world, please help me.

2. i proceeded with the manual nooter 4.5.25 ... installed it through the 2gbClowork Recover 3.0.0.5. Then installed the Cyanogenmod7 through that. Upon reboot the nook color screen with the rainbow stayed up for a long time.

Clockwork Recovery (CWR) 3.0.0.5 is outdated and is probably leading to your problems. First thing you need to do is find a copy of CWR 3.0.2.8 or higher, 3.2.0 is the newest.

3. I used the factory restore instructions nook-complete-restore-1.0.1 using this dude's video. I was getting an error when trying to format the data - ERROR FORMATTING DATA. upon restart it went to the barnes and noble screen first, then to the nook color rainbow screen and stuck.

Errors might be due to the CWR version you are using. Follow this link for instructions how to restore on this site http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

4. since then i've tried doing all sorts of formatting through the Clockwork recovery, clearing caches, delvik cashes, system, boot, etc. the restoring again. tryed butting cyanogen on again. and tried using AUTOROOTER2.25.

This could be a problem the more things you do without knowing what you are doing the harder it is to get out of the muck.

Please help - i need a way to zap the stupid rainbow nook color thing out of the memory of the nook so that i can proceed to load other ROM's or go to the original Barnes and Noble mode.

Take a look at the restore thread I posted above and let us know if you have any qustions. Then we will see if we can get you going again. :D

JP

motkaf

Jun 9, 2011
Hi JP thank you for helping me out.

Unfortuantely i am having trouble finding a link for ahigher verwion of CWR anywhere.

I just downloaded recover-clockwork-3.2.0.1-bravo.img which would not image onto my card. i'm going to try other cards next. I also downloaded the .zip by the same name. It has several folders in it, but no img.

The instructions you link to call for a 1GB SD card, but i have 2 x 2gb and one 256 mb.

I guess the bottom line is - do you have a good linnk for which Clockwork i should use?

Thanks for your help!

Matvey

motkaf

Jun 9, 2011
update:

I successfully got CWR 3.0.2.8 onto the SD card along with a zip of nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip
I follow the instructions to get the following output:

Formatting /system...
Done.
Formatting /data...
Error formatting /data!

I continue to the next step where I install a zip from sd card - and isntalle the nook recovery.
After completion, the unit rebooted and I still have the same problem.
1st screen - future of reading
2nd screen - grey N
3rd screen - cursive "nook color" animation followed by grey n with colorful "color" below - and it remains stuck on this screen.

I'm pretty sure that the problem i have is that i can't clear the /data
any ideas?

Thank you

Matvey

motkaf

Jun 9, 2011
Also, if i do format data/restore
it seems to format the user /cache and /cache/ and then says:

No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext.
Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure...
Data Wipe Complete

but if i got to the mounts and storage menu and do format /data - i still get the error.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
update:

I successfully got CWR 3.0.2.8 onto the SD card along with a zip of nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip
I follow the instructions to get the following output:

Formatting /system...
Done.
Formatting /data...
Error formatting /data!

I continue to the next step where I install a zip from sd card - and isntalle the nook recovery.
After completion, the unit rebooted and I still have the same problem.
1st screen - future of reading
2nd screen - grey N
3rd screen - cursive "nook color" animation followed by grey n with colorful "color" below - and it remains stuck on this screen.

I'm pretty sure that the problem i have is that i can't clear the /data
any ideas?

Thank you

Matvey

If I remember correctly, I removed CWR using CWR-removal.zip, then did the 8 re-boot to get past this.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If I remember correctly, I removed CWR using CWR-removal.zip, then did the 8 re-boot to get past this.

Bingo. I'm not sure that you need to use the CWR removal tool since you have bootable CWR but it couldn't hurt. The 8 boots will wipe the data. Once you do the 8 boots make sure you also do the power + n. At that point you should be booting to factory fresh.

Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

motkaf

Jun 9, 2011
Thank you gentlemen, I will try the 8 reboots. I did try it once before and this is what happened:

1. press power for 2 seconds to power on
2. as soon as i see the "future of reading" screen i press and hold power button.
3. unit does not shut off through that screen, then goes to the N-screen, then goes to the CURSIVE NOOK COLOR animation screen and shuts off at that point.

since it makes it to the animation screen, does that mean my boot count is NOT adding up?

I'm currently charging up the device and will attempt this again afterwards.

Thanks again and I will reply soon.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Thank you gentlemen, I will try the 8 reboots. I did try it once before and this is what happened:

1. press power for 2 seconds to power on
2. as soon as i see the "future of reading" screen i press and hold power button.
3. unit does not shut off through that screen, then goes to the N-screen, then goes to the CURSIVE NOOK COLOR animation screen and shuts off at that point.

since it makes it to the animation screen, does that mean my boot count is NOT adding up?

I'm currently charging up the device and will attempt this again afterwards.

Thanks again and I will reply soon.

It should be adding up, just keep at it.

motkaf

Jun 9, 2011
OK!!! awesome gentlemen,

seems like my device is back in action.

I did the 8 reboots, followed by a power+n shutdown. then started the unit up. it goes to "read forever" folowed by the grey n, followed by nook color in cursive but after a minute or so proceeds to load up.

questions:
when i unlock it at the nook color screen i get prompted to:
"complete action using:
a) HOME
b) softkeys
c) Zeam Launcher

So far i've only done "home" and that takes me to the normal b+n nook screen.
Why do i still have these other boot options? How do i get rid of them too?

Question 2:
so i started this whole mess because i'd like to be able to run Netflix and Hulu on my nook as an android. I don't really care much for the original b+n nook interface, so i'm totally chill with just rooting it again and running cyanogenmod or something. Do you have advice on what is the best course of action?

originally when i got cyanogen up and running it was going off the SD card only, and wouldn't let me install netflix.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Matvey

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Matvey, the choice of home launcher indicates that you are rooted. This is stange considering you just followed the steps to restore to factory (unless you flashed a rooted back up from CWR at some point). If you choose Zeam launcher you should see an Android style home layout.

The Cyogen Netflix problem is a seperate issue. Netfilx does work on CM7 so something else needs to be looked at. At this point the question becomes what you want to do with your Nook. You can root (unlock B&N sotck software), install a custom ROM or create a bootable SD that will allow you to run a custom ROM from the card while running stock or stock rooted from the internal memory.

Let us know what you think you want to do and we can send you to the correct procedure.

JP

motkaf

Jun 9, 2011
Hi JP,

ok, since my last post i went to Device Info - Erase and Deregister Device...and now it seems that all traces of any rooting and screwing around are gone.

I'm getting dazed and confused with all the different rooting options (manual vs. auto, etc.) Perhaps you can offer some advice, here is what i want out of my nook:

1. i still want to read stuff on it (can use android apps from BN or kindle right?)
2. email and internet (can do now, but can also do in android)
3. stream netflix and hulu (not sure what is the best avenue for this).

I don't MIND the generic B+N interface, so maybe i should do a bootable android interface for netflix and hulu?

thanks in advance!

matvey