Nook Color Running Android Froyo 2.2 from bootable SD card

pcsurgeons

Mar 11, 2011
I am not sure what I am doing wrong if anything. I followed the instructions to the letter. My Nook Color boots to the SD card fine. My problem comes in with getting apps from the market. There are a few apps that i have on the Nook but I would like to try and secure others but I have no access to the market anywhere on the Nook. I tried to access them from the google app but I get a message that I do not have a android device registered to an account. Is there a program I must install to gain access to the market? if there is how would I go about installing it to the sd card in my nook?
Thanks
Duane

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
What instructions did you follow? If I can look at them I might be able to point you in the right direction. I am pretty sure that gapps isn't included with the base card image, so market won't work. Does gmail or google talk work?

pcsurgeons

Mar 11, 2011
Here are the instructions I had:

-Nook Color
-Micro SD card at least 2gb or larger
-USB SD card reader
- Win 32 disk Imager
- Latest version Virtual Image of Nookie Froyo for Nook color device http://edencomputing.com/nookcolor/nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.7.img.gz
Now follow the instructions:
Step 1: Download Win 32 disk Imager and unzip its contents into a folder.
Step 2: Download the compatible Latest version Virtual Image of Nookie Froyo for Nook color device and unzip its contents (contains image file) preferably using winrar.
Step 3: Hook up USB card reader into computer and plug in Micro SD card into the reader.
Step 4: Run Win 32 Disk Imager and click on the folder button and locate the image file which you extracted in step 2.
Step 5: Choose the drive letter of your SD card (If you don’t know the drive letter of your SD card you can locate it in My Computer) and click on write button.
Step 6: Once progress is 100% complete, you can exit win 32 disk imager.
Step 7: Safely remove the SD card from the computer. Now, Power off your Nook Color and slide the SD card into the Nook. Turn on your Nook Color and it should load Nookie Froyo.
Now you are ready to use Android Froyo 2.2 on your Nook Color without rooting the nook color and voiding the warranty. Don’t forget to try running Android Honeycomb 3.0 on your Nook Color. For how to make bootable SD card for Nook Color running Honeycomb guide click here. If you are planning to root your Nook color device all versions please click here.
If you are new here you may want to subscribe to our RSS feed , follow us on Twitter or join our Facebook fan page to never miss an article or news!
Thank You for any help you can provide
Duane

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Wow ok... I personally don't like the site you got those instructions from. They start off claiming things that are not exactly substantiated, and finish with a link to Froyo and Honeycomb builds that you don't know what's in them.

Unfortunately, I am not sure where that Froyo build came from so I don't know what is included in the package and what isn't. It's likely that the basic gapps (Google Apps - Mail, Talk, Market) were not built in completely and/or you just haven't associated your account completely yet.

Do you have a gmail account?
Does gmail or google talk work?

pcsurgeons

Mar 11, 2011
Yes I have a gmail account and I can read the messages in my account. I have not fiquired out how to send messages yet. Is there a better place to get the data I need to make a Micro SD card to boot my nook from? I really do not want to Root the nook if at all possible.
Duane

pcsurgeons

Mar 11, 2011
Faceman Thank You it finally works I followed your thread to XDA-developers And loaded the img file and it now works. Went to the market and checked out some apps. It is great. I feel like a fool but I have one problem. I logged in to my gmail account to look at my mail. But I could not find a way to log out nor could I find a way to send a email. Once again what am I missing. You guys are great and I keep asking these dumb questions. I also logged in to my msn account and could not find a way to log out.
Help!!!!!
Duane Gromis

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Faceman Thank You it finally works I followed your thread to XDA-developers And loaded the img file and it now works. Went to the market and checked out some apps. It is great. I feel like a fool but I have one problem. I logged in to my gmail account to look at my mail. But I could not find a way to log out nor could I find a way to send a email. Once again what am I missing. You guys are great and I keep asking these dumb questions. I also logged in to my msn account and could not find a way to log out.
Help!!!!!
Duane Gromis
To send mail in Gmail after you have composed your message tap the menu key and hit send.

Not sure what you mean about "Logging Out" do you mean the Gmail app or the browser based email?

pcsurgeons

Mar 11, 2011
When I leave my email on my pc I log out I do not leave my mail open and log back in when I come back to my computer to read my email again. That is what I was trying to say. I have fiquired out how to send mail it really works great. I am not sure why the first attemped did not work but your img file is working perfectly. Thank you again for all of your help and sorry for the dumb questions. I just have to keep working with it and trying different things and I am sure it will all fall into place.
Thanks again you have been a great help
Duane

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I get it, I think that the assumption with mobile devices is that once you are logged-in and synced it is going to stay that way as you wouldn't want to log in every time you get emailed. Also the assumption is that the device is never really going to be that far away from you. I know that the web-browser will log you out of Google if you exit the app. It will, however, remember your password if instructed to do so, The best solution I can think of is a lock pattern on your lock screen like a physical password. That way if you walk away from your desk/nook etc you can turn off the screen and no one will be able to access your NC without the proper unlock pattern.

I'm thinking that even though you want to be able to log-out of your email etc for security reasons(I assume)you would find it more of a hassle than anything else. If I am not mistaken if you are not logged in/synced you wouldn't receive any messages anyway.

pcsurgeons

Mar 11, 2011
I now have an other issue that I am not sure what happened. After I followed Faceman recommendations everything was working fine now I can no longer access the browser. when I go to it it gives me an error message. "Sorry The application Browser(process com.android.browser) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. The only option is to force closed. Any ideas????

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Try "fix permissions" in Rom Manager. When prompted to reboot click "ok" then hard reboot. Hold down the power button for 8-10 seconds. Usually helps with force close issues. If not try an alternate browser. DolphinHD is my personal favorite but there are other choices. The built-in browser is nice but some of the 3rd party ones have amazing features.

Hope this helps...

pcsurgeons

Mar 11, 2011
I tried the Rom Manager with the fix permissions and it did not change. I also found that I can get to the market and view the apps but I can no longer download any free apps. I keep get messages downloading app and then download failed. Not sure if I should format SD card and reload or if there is an easier fix?