Nook Overheated and shut down (Not on charger)

dbvirago

Sep 11, 2012
I have found many threads here and elsewhere re the Nook overheating but they are all charger related. Mine has been off the charger for almost 20 hours. I was using the nook with about 45% battery left and it suddenly shut down. I figured out how to do a hard restart and got it back on. It was off for about half an hour. At that point, my battery app said it was at 20% and battery temp was 91'F.

It is not rooted. Could this be a rogue app causing it to overheat and drain battery that fast? As I was trying to figure out the issue, I note that the cooling vent is on the back. I have a B&N case that it stays in. There is a small depression in the case where the cooling vent is, but if it needs air circulation to keep cool, that wouldn't help.

Had the Nook about 3 weeks and first issue. I don notice some days the battery drain is much higher than others, but my usage is fairly consistent.

Any thoughts or ideas?

TIA

Darryl

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Darryl, welcome to the forum. You speculation about the rouge app is the most likely. What probably happened is an app got stuck running the processor full blast for an extended period of time. This would explain the heat and the battery drain. If you added any apps recently just before experiencing the problem start there. Uninstall the suspect apps and see if you still experience the issue. If it goes away add the apps back one at a time and see if you can identify the culprit.

As far as the "cooling vent" that is actually the speaker grill. Nooks don't have cooling vents and the only thing you are doing by blocking it is muffling the volume, so don't worry about that.

JP

dbvirago

Sep 11, 2012
Thanks for the quick answer. I'll keep an eye on the apps - already removed a couple. I've downloaded a couple of task apps, but haven't found anything that gives me the level of detail I am used to. At some point, I may give up and root, but I keep hoping B&N will up the game on the app store.

LOL on the cooling vent. When I saw it, I thought it was a dumb location.

My battery seems to run at about 85-95' F. Is that about right?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, that sounds about right for the temps. As far as B&N upping their game, good luck with that. I don't have anything against B&N but they are facing a severe uphill battle to compete with the ecosystems of Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft. They should really just stick to books and even then they are having a hard time with Amazon.