Nook Performance Increases & Settings

arus

Feb 23, 2011
RavenJ, what do you mean "I'm flashed differently right now,"? are you using something different from CWR? or doing something different in CWR?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Sort of.. I'm having a marathon-o-ROMs, trying to find which one I like the best. So far I've flashed/evaluated Phiremod v4.1, Phiremod v5.0, Phiremod v5.1, UD 3.1.2, Phiremod beta2 (wouldn't boot), Nookie Froyo (also wouldn't boot).. Of all of them, I've liked 5.1 the best. I think my beta2 and nookie problems come from the fact that my CWR card is running 3.0.0.6, and they want 3.0.0.5..

I'm about to flash 5.1 back on there and call it a day.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Don't put too much faith into Quadrant. It seems it's a nice tool but doesn't necessary give the best overall scoring. Apparently a lot of smarter people seem to think linpack is the best evaluating app for now. I haven't had time to test and compare though.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Now that I'm back to Phiremod 5.1, I re-ran Quadrant.. The best I could get this time was 1193 and that was when I forced it to run @ 1.1ghz with a minimum of 1.1ghz. The difference between now and earlier is that I'm running the 1.1ghz kernel, where earlier I just had the 925mhz kernel... Interesting. I also forced it to run @ 800mhz and I got an 1108, so I'm thinking that overclocking this thing isn't really doing that much..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You're right, that doesn't sound like much differnce. Maybe it is an optimization issue with 5.1 and Quadrant. Those results seem quite low though considering.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
So is it possible to re-flash just the kernel that came with 5.1? I'll rebuild it, again (sigh), if I have to, but I'd prefer to just redo the kernel if possible..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think you can. Did you see faceman's response in the phiremod 5 thread? In any case you can get the latest kernels here Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire. Then just flash the kernel from CWR (I would wipe the cache and dalvik just to be sure).

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Now that I'm back to Phiremod 5.1, I re-ran Quadrant.. The best I could get this time was 1193 and that was when I forced it to run @ 1.1ghz with a minimum of 1.1ghz. The difference between now and earlier is that I'm running the 1.1ghz kernel, where earlier I just had the 925mhz kernel... Interesting. I also forced it to run @ 800mhz and I got an 1108, so I'm thinking that overclocking this thing isn't really doing that much..

Asked and answered in the other thread... forget which one now.. lol

faceman, I'll check that out. The nice thing about quadrant is that it seems to work on almost all the ROMs out there right now and at least offers a consistent test even it notthe most acurate. There is also a Smartbench thread going in the Apps & Games section if anybody is interested.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum.../10559-post-your-smartbench-2011-results.html

I'll check out the Smartbench maybe tonight. Thanks.

That's what I used, actually..

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

I think I'll just rebuild it tomorrow morning instead of patching it together. It's hard to argue with such a substantial performance difference as that benchmark showed.

You can just flash the stock kernel over the OC one, but I can't seem to find that link now, anyone else got a link to the stock kernel?

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
Hey Guys, I just installed Phiremod v5.3, CM7, and I was wondering what Performance tweaks to put, besides OC to 1.1ghz in the Cyanogen Mod settings? Also, did you guys put a new kernel on top of the one that comes with that rom? Thanks!

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Hey Guys, I just installed Phiremod v5.3, CM7, and I was wondering what Performance tweaks to put, besides OC to 1.1ghz in the Cyanogen Mod settings? Also, did you guys put a new kernel on top of the one that comes with that rom? Thanks!
Faster kernel for me is the Madcat version from here.
Also, about getting good scores to benchs:The less installed program the better.Also it is good to have more free memory when U run benchs.Also dont use any Live Wallpaper.