Nook TV via DISH Network

Ifireclay

Jan 19, 2011
In case you missed it, forum member Crenita can watch DISH network DVRd material courtesy of the DISH Remote Access App (free in the market), and a DISH 722 DVR with Sling Adapter ($99 from DISH for DISH only) connected to broadband.

I ordered my DISH 722 wifi adapter ($25 from DISH) since my router is in a diferent location from my DVR. When I get it, I'll test the DISH Remote Access app to make sure my ADSL signal is strong enough (supposedly you need 3Mbs for HD content), and if that's a winner, I'll order my Sling Adapter and follow Crenita's lead.

I'll update as soon as I get my equipment up and going - hopefully with good news! :cool:

Zman

Dec 14, 2010
I would like to do that with my huawei ideos s7.

Sent from my cold ass s7 android tablet

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
In case you missed it, forum member Crenita can watch DISH network DVRd material courtesy of the DISH Remote Access App (free in the market), and a DISH 722 DVR with Sling Adapter ($99 from DISH for DISH only) connected to broadband.

I ordered my DISH 722 wifi adapter ($25 from DISH) since my router is in a diferent location from my DVR. When I get it, I'll test the DISH Remote Access app to make sure my ADSL signal is strong enough (supposedly you need 3Mbs for HD content), and if that's a winner, I'll order my Sling Adapter and follow Crenita's lead.

I'll update as soon as I get my equipment up and going - hopefully with good news! :cool:
Not just DVR but apparently live TV as well. I think it's time I join the club! ;)

Since you mentioned ADSL, I assume you mean 3Mpbs (up) to a remote location outside the LAN. I think I'm capped at 1Mbps up which probably means no HD streaming for me. :(

-Matt

Ifireclay

Jan 19, 2011
I'm not sure what the upload requirement is - neither was the DISH guy I talked to (shocker!). If anyone is doing this via ADSL/wifi, please chime in. I'll probably bite the bullet and get the Sling Adapter, so if it doesn't work out, I may be selling it cheap. First come, first serve.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
From Dish Network

At least 1.5 Mbps downstream bandwidth (WAN or LAN)

For DISH Remote Access Mobile App: At least 150 Kbps upstream bandwidth

For DISH Remote Access Computer Browser: At least 600 Kbps upstream bandwidth

Additional requirement for HD viewing:

LAN bandwidth of at least 3.0 Mbps

Note: The faster your Broadband Internet connection, the higher quality your video will be.

They also have a connectivity test on the link I provided at the top

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Fortunately in my case the Dish receiver has a wired connection to the router, so the 3Mbps LAN prereq isn't really an issue. I know that the adapter modulates bitrate as a function of bandwidth, so 600Kbps up is probably a minimum for "watchable." Of course a stream from the Dish that heads toward an Android device is all but certainly being downscaled, not only because of bandwidth but also (probably) because of assumptions built into the Android app (e.g., screen resolution). However, I think there is a "tablet-optimized" version of the app now...?

Here is another way of looking at it: I really can't use my Droid or Nook to watch video via Tversity or Orb while on 3G...for me anyway, it falls just below the "watchable" threshold. And that's with 1Mbps upstream and adaptive transcoding on the server PC. I'm really curious how the Sling adapter will perform.

-Matt

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Matt I think you will be truely surprised at how well it all works.. I ended up getting sling adapter as my wired line is 5 rooms away from my Dish 722.... the first go was a bite shakey but about 2 weeks ago they updated the app and viola... like magic.. it works so well... .. I had a long wait in traffiic the other day.. so just popped the dish app up on my Droid and spent the nx 25 minutes watching TV while waiting in line... keeps the Blood pressure down in those situations.. but I really am pleased as I can go to the a park enjoy the pleasant outdoors but still be able to catch what I want when I want it if I get bored watching the kids soccer games... .. repeat I love my Sling...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You know, I get so happy every time you describe it. I think my last comment was really a veiled attempt to get you to "tell us the story again, please?!?!?!" LOL

-Matt

techieblgrl

Jan 21, 2011
Ifireclay & gadgetrants, you are both correct. I work for DISH Network so I know all about the Sling Adapter and TV Everywhere. With the DISH Remote Access app you can not only view live TV and your DVR recordings but you also have access to thousands of TV shows and movies through DISHOnline.com! I'm glad to hear you all are enjoying DISH on the go. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, here is a helpful video for more information:www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qsDhbSz3pg.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ifireclay & gadgetrants, you are both correct. I work for DISH Network so I know all about the Sling Adapter and TV Everywhere. With the DISH Remote Access app you can not only view live TV and your DVR recordings but you also have access to thousands of TV shows and movies through DISHOnline.com! I'm glad to hear you all are enjoying DISH on the go. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, here is a helpful video for more information:YouTube - TV Everywhere by DISH Network.
We have a Dish INSIDER!!!!! Awesome.

My first question--sorry, it's 100% self-interested: my 2-year contract is up, and I'm hoping to renew. Any advice? In particular, we have a 722, which I'm happy to keep rather than upgrade. The ideal customer service phone call for me is one in which I get a decent offer (I think they call people like us "promo-hoppers") on a new 2-year, plus a discount on Sling adapter--assuming I don't pick up a slightly used one soon. (Yes, everyone, I realize how greedy that sounds...but no worries, I suck at negotiating.)

-Matt

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
well Matt you never get anything if you don't ask and believe me they NEVER tell you ..... go for it !!