NOOKcolor Owners thread

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Got the Nook today! I am seriously impressed. Really not a Nook owner though since I am giving it to my granddaughter, so forget I was here.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Before you do, I have a question, if/when I am able to switch it over to an Android, will the Nook apps not work?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Before you do, I have a question, if/when I am able to switch it over to an Android, will the Nook apps not work?

Depends on what you mean by the "Nook apps." Really the Nook only has some "features" that you will lose. I think really that is only one feature at this point the "Read to Me" feature which does what it says and for certain children's books reads the book out loud. It is a nice feature but not worth losing out on full Android for and limited in the titles it works with. If you really need to have read to me you can use the bootable card and then boot to an internal stock Nook anytime you want to use the feature.

Short answer stock Nook only has the read to me feature, otherwise you gain way more apps and features from standard Android than the stock Nook is capable of.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks JP. I was wondering if I install some Nook games and learning apps, if those will be lost.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks JP. I was wondering if I install some Nook games and learning apps, if those will be lost.

Well generally speaking (I haven't really looked in the B&N app store) apps in the B&N app store are just apps you can get from Google or Amazon but at an increased price. What I have seen of the B&N app store is that it is a subset of the standard markets with higher prices since stock B&N users are trapped into the store and have no alternative choice. It is possible B&N has commissioned specific apps that you are talking about/interested in but I would venture to guess there are equivalent or better apps available via Amazon or Google.

I am not aware of a single thing other than the read to me that the stock Nook has that you can't get for regular Android devices.

Example:

$2.99 - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ang...ntertainment-ltd/1109652796?ean=2940043890443

$0.99 - https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tLnJvdmlvLmFuZ3J5YmlyZHNzcGFjZS5wcmVtaXVtIl0.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JB, welcome to the nook owner thread! I thought you decided already to boot your nook from an CM 7 card. Make it or buy the one with double boot,meaning that once you insert the card in the slot you leave it there and you can boot from CM7 or stock. So if you want to play with b&n games you'll boot from stock but if you want stuff from the market,google or Amazon, you boot from the card......easy, to boot at least....to make the card is another story! :-D

Samsung Galaxy Note

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I am still trying to figure out what it is I am trying to figure out. :) You are saying I can install CM7 on the 32 gb card and boot from there, but still have the option to boot from stock?

JP, thanks for that info. That sounds like the way to do it. My daughter gave me her username and password for BN to check out the wish list.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Here,JB...I got the description from the guy who sells the card, in case my English is not so English....it happens sometimes! :) This card is actually a triple boot one , so you can switch from cm7 to ics to nook software. I know it might be difficult to grasp: cm7,Cm9 and stock nook are just three different roms..it's like three different rooms in your house....you want to eat you use the kitchen, you want to sleep, you " boot " on your bedroom and so on..
Samsung Galaxy Note

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1339618589945.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1339618589945.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 624
Last edited: