Onda V701 will not allow play store or sign in to gmail or browse google apps

strikemaster

Nov 2, 2012
Hi,

Purchased my new Onda V701 2 weeks ago and just now, thanks to this forum, now have an English manual to get started. It seems I can do all things with this tablet, EXCEPT the main thing ... download and install Apps. This is really strange because it's as if the tablet has a brain of it's own (maybe a virus from the seller) because even though it has the Play Store icon, it will not allow any use of it. And even stranger is... I can use the browser without any error, but it will not allow me to browse to any google website or let me log into Gmail. It's as if it has a security stop in place to prevent anything to do with Google which is ironic considering the OS is google. This is what I have done so far.

Attempted fixes....

1. Set up 2 gmail accounts (the second just to see if it would help with this tablet)
  2. Cleared cache and forced stop many many times.
  3. Reset tablet via settings.
  4. Deleted accounts and re-made them.
  5. A few other things I forget :(

Wont let me....
  1. Log into play store (dont even get a prompt for user and password) and get "timed out message"
  2. Log into my Gmail account via web browser
  3. Surf any page that is affiliated with Google .. eg: The App/market
  4. Add a new google account via the tablet. No matter what user name you enter it replys... this user not available. For example, the last one I tried was ... strikemaster211950 ... which includes my DOB.
So unless I can fix this, my tablet is almost rendered useless. I have tried downloading Apps from my computer but I get the message... " you have not used this to download apps before" (or something like that)

I have seen a bit around the forums with similar problems but none as severe as mine and no fixes worked. As a special note I might addd that on our local news a few weeks ago they warned of electronic stuff coming out of China with trojans secretly installed to spy on us. This is not fiction...its a fact. I hope thats not my case here.

Other than all the above, I find this Onda tablet very good with a 5 star review score if not for my personal problems with Apps. Any help, even if you think it's not worth posting...could help me.

Thanks... Mike

Sassinak

Aug 3, 2012
Same here. Locked out of my google account on my Onda vi30w dual core. Cant even access google search page from the browser(!!) Reset it, and now reflashed it with best working firmware, but no dice. Customer service helped me once, but not now. :-(

strikemaster

Nov 2, 2012
Same here. Locked out of my google account on my Onda vi30w dual core. Cant even access google search page from the browser(!!) Reset it, and now reflashed it with best working firmware, but no dice. Customer service helped me once, but not now. :-(

Hi Sass, When you say "locked out"... precisely what do you mean? Tell me, when you try to log into your gmail account on your Onda, do you at least get a popup window requesting User name and Password? For me, I dont even get that. This is the most worrying part... not even a request. This is a bit suss don't you think? All my friends with androidf say they get this window...so why not with my Onda?

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Good find! I'd be really pissed if my google urls were getting redirected without my knowledge.

romasz

Nov 3, 2012
I too have this problem with Onda V712 and would like someone to go through the process of changing the hosts file..step by step as I am new to this...

THanks Frank

FIXED! [Fixed] Problem sigining into google account - SlateDroid.com

Check (and delete) your /etc/hosts file: it contains hundreds of redirections for google sites, and facebook, and whatnot.
replace it with just 127.0.0.1 localhosts.

What is going on here, Onda ?

note: (You may want to save that suspicious file after all, as proof)

strikemaster

Nov 2, 2012
I too have this problem with Onda V712 and would like someone to go through the process of changing the hosts file..step by step as I am new to this...

THanks Frank

Yeah me too. I have no idea how to do this. Help someone !!!

And thanks for the fix Sass (I hope)

strikemaster

Nov 2, 2012
Hi just put a thread on http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...01-ics-4-0-3-play-store-etc-walk-through.html gets rid of all the chinese apps and runs Play Store, will work with v712 just use your firmware.

I read your walk through iiDiabolusZ... and thanks a million. I hope it works but I am having a slightly different experience. I already have the Play Store icon in my apps folder, but it refuses to grant me permission to log in. I will try your fix and post results back here as soon as I can. Within the next 2 days.

Thanks again for your detailed walk through.

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
I read your walk through iiDiabolusZ... and thanks a million. I hope it works but I am having a slightly different experience. I already have the Play Store icon in my apps folder, but it refuses to grant me permission to log in. I will try your fix and post results back here as soon as I can. Within the next 2 days.

Thanks again for your detailed walk through.

It will do, when i first got the tablet it had play store on but i couldnt download anything i then tried to install a new Play Store it would go to open then close, but now its fine only thing is it still wont let me use Crome or Maps from the store but i did install them by using Root Explorer, you just need the .apk file, but every other app and games work amazing. Let me no how you get on.

Last edited: