OUYA Android Gaming Console Still On Track for March 2013; OS Switched to Jelly Bean

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
OUYA-with-controller.jpeg

For folks who were interested in how things were going for the OUYA Android gaming console, you will happy to learn that the device is still on track and scheduled for a March 2013 launch. The console is now in EVT (Engineering Verification Testing) phase, while December will see the first software developer kits (ODK) reaching early pledgers. Additionally, the company confirmed that they will be going with Jelly Bean instead of Ice Cream Sandwich, which makes the device even more enticing! Here's a quote with a few more details,

Developers interested in making their work available on OUYA consoles can even start their magic if they can’t take the wait any longer. All you’ll need to do that is a regular Tegra 3-powered Android tablet with Jelly Bean, as well as a quick glance on the set of instructions available here.

Developing OUYA games should be “very similar to developing standard Android games”, however you’ll have to keep track of a few limitations and conditions. You can go crazy and make use of full screens and 1080p resolutions, but don’t plan on using familiar back, menu or volume buttons. The touchpad will only support single touch, while push notifications will not find a good home on the consoles.

As for payments, the console’s developers are still determined to make “all games” free to download, although in-app purchases will be allowed. That might distress a couple of folks, but hey, you can’t have it all. Also, let’s be fair – we all love free games, but having only such content would have severely limited the console’s potential.

Sound of in this thread if you are a developer who is interested in the OUYA.

Source: AndroidAuthority

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
Hmm... I don't like the idea of forcing developers to make the games free. I think this will hinder the console's game development.

reddragon72

Jun 6, 2012
Going with a "free" game setup is going to kill this platform before it ever gets a chance. There are not many folks out there that like the "pay to play more" games. I think demo's should be mandatory or at least highly recommended, but free with in game purchases... nope not this gamer.