Overwhelmed! What's the Best Tablet?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
After looking at the Asus it is just slightly worse then the Galaxy, in my opinion. Mostly because it lacks a High Def screen and that is a feature I would want.

Thanks,
Kayci

The Asus and the Galaxy Tab have the same sreen resolution - 1280x800

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Jun 29, 2011
After looking at the Asus it is just slightly worse then the Galaxy, in my opinion. Mostly because it lacks a High Def screen and that is a feature I would want.

Thanks,
Kayci

Looking as in in person or as in reading reviews? I ask because each persons definition of best can be skewed by personal preference.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011

Thanks,
Kayci

With the others on this one. I went into a Best Buy and did a head-to-head, even after checking everything online I could.

Xoom didn't Xoom for me and the Galaxy was just stardust, but the TF was really good inside. I'm more for performance than how the case looks; in that respect the Transformer is a clear winner.

And with the Transformer, you have the microHD slot and MicroSD slot on-tablet, rather than needing an adapter. Always a good choice when doing the connectivity thing.

Plus, as has been noted ad nauseum online, the TF also has the interlocking keyboard that gives you USB slots, integrated extra battery and a SD card slot, but ends up with a total price around the same as a barebones Xoom or Galaxy.

Basically, if you're shopping around for a tablet, nothing beats actually going hands-on to decide.

ReuvenNY

Jul 11, 2011
I just recently purchased the Lenovo ThinkPad and love it. Check out the specifications and reviews. It has a full size USB port, full side SD card port, HDMI and Netflix certified app and many more features. Also it has a pen for making had written notes, drawings etc.

kkolaas90

Oct 14, 2011
Thanks guys! You sure are convincing! What I ment on the Galaxy being better was just based on a specs comparison. I do want a performer and looks are my main concern either. I just want the top of the line when it comes to performance and bells and whistles! I honestly just want the best of the best! In reguards to the screens Galaxy has an LCD Hi Def screen as the Asus is just marked as a screen, maybe I missed something that you guys can further explain! Also just googling and the Transformer 2 has a "release date" as in it will be announced Nov. 7th. Who knows what will change for sure, except for the new Tegra 3!

Thanks As Always,
Kayci

PS
Does the Asus really look that bad compared to the Galaxy, as someone mentioned earlier? I haven't looked at either one in person.

Last edited:

kkolaas90

Oct 14, 2011
Another thing does the Asus have all the bells and whistles like front facing cam, rear cam with flash etc? Also I want the high def playback and video recording and i want to see it on a high def screen. If it is high def how high? 720p 1080p?

Thanks for all the help
Kayci

hunterp101

Sep 12, 2011
Another thing does the Asus have all the bells and whistles like front facing cam, rear cam with flash etc? Also I want the high def playback and video recording and i want to see it on a high def screen. If it is high def how high? 720p 1080p?

Thanks for all the help
Kayci

The Asus records in 720p and has a front facing 2MP camera as well as a rear facing 5MP camera. The display is the same retina display used on Apple's products. The quality is as good as the Samsung but a little different. The Galaxy Tab has warmer colors and the Asus colors appear more true in my opinion.

Also, with the Samsung you need to buy every add on separately. With the Asus all you need to do is buy the keyboard and you get every add on plus an extra power source. I looked at both and decided to go with the Acer because in my opinion it's just a much better device.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Samsung is AWFUL as far as updates go. I have a Galaxy S phone and the update timetable as well as process was a joke.

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011
the asus records in 720p and has a front facing 2mp camera as well as a rear facing 5mp camera. The display is the same retina display used on apple's products. The quality is as good as the samsung but a little different. The galaxy tab has warmer colors and the asus colors appear more true in my opinion.

Also, with the samsung you need to buy every add on separately. With the asus all you need to do is buy the keyboard and you get every add on plus an extra power source. I looked at both and decided to go with the acer because in my opinion it's just a much better device.

The other thing to keep in mind is that samsung is awful as far as updates go. I have a galaxy s phone and the update timetable as well as process was a joke.

word. ;)

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
The Asus records in 720p and has a front facing 2MP camera as well as a rear facing 5MP camera. The display is the same retina display used on Apple's products. The quality is as good as the Samsung but a little different. The Galaxy Tab has warmer colors and the Asus colors appear more true in my opinion.

Also, with the Samsung you need to buy every add on separately. With the Asus all you need to do is buy the keyboard and you get every add on plus an extra power source. I looked at both and decided to go with the Acer because in my opinion it's just a much better device.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Samsung is AWFUL as far as updates go. I have a Galaxy S phone and the update timetable as well as process was a joke.
A few things;

1. The ASUS is NOT the same Retina display used in iPhone 4/4S and the iPod Touch 4th/5th Generation. It's PPI is lower, which is in effect the perceived sharpness of the screen. The resolution is 1280x800, which is actually considerably higher than the Retina display iPhone and iPod Touch, but the size is much larger meaning the PPI is lower (around 150 compared to over 300 in the iPod/iPhone). It is also quite a bit higher than the iPad's 1024x768 resolution. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 has the exact same screen resolution as the Transformer, though, and the same PPI.

2. The GTab does have oversaturated colors; but basically every other tablet (including the Transformer) has undersaturated colors. I think this is done to increase battery life; it's complicated. The Samsung has less screen reflectance than the Transformer, too, so it's better under direct sunlight. The Transformer is quite reflective. Also, it actually has the purest whites of any tablet - by quite a large margin.

The Transformer does have better camera's MP-wise, but I think the GTab's camera's are higher quality (not personal experience, but from what I hear). The camera does not have an LED flash on both tablets.

However, what everyone brings out here is correct - the Transformer does have all the extra ports (MicroSD up to 32GB (on-tablet), Mini-HDMI (on-tablet), 2 USB ports and a full-size SD card slot (both on dock)). They make itmuch more flexible in that way. It's also $100 (or more) cheaper (without the dock, though; most offer it as a combo for $100 more). I own it myself and it works great; really good tablet - but I have used the GTab as well (not owned) and it is a solid tablet. The build is great; very solid, and it is thin. The Transformer is 4-5mm thicker, to the best of my knowledge, and it does have sharp edges (I know, I know - but it does). Not razor-sharp, but noticeable.

ASUS has been amazing with updates, though, pushing them out within 2 weeks (and this is in Canada) wirelessly. The Transformer has been guaranteed to get Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) as well.

However, I wouldn't buy it now...no way.

Yeah. That's the Transformer Prime.

8.3mm thick (to put that in perspective, the iPad 2 is 8.8mm thick).
MicroSD. Mini-HDMI.
Keyboard Dock.
USB.

And...just...beautiful-ness. Brushed metal finish on the tablet and dock. It's got the Tegra 3, too; fitting all that into such a shockingly good package is amazing.
Official annoucement supposedly is expected to come November 9th, as said by ASUS' CEO. It was displayed at the AsiaD converence by the CEO himself.

I got the original, and this is just...well, everything I dislike about it is solved here. Looks amazing so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
There are actually 2 models of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, or so I've been told, one designated with an n in the model number, and one with a v which apparently has an 8mp back camera. Haven't really verified this. Anyway, as has been stated, Asus provides firmwaye updates fast and has indeed guaranteed ICS, and although I am in no hurry to replace my Transformer when I do Asus will definately be the first company I consider. I will also look closely at their other products as well.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

kkolaas90

Oct 14, 2011
Hey everyoe back after alittle break! I am definatley WAITING for the Transformer Prime or GTab with the Tegra 3. Now to me it's just down to which (which yes I know the Transformer Prime is "out" now and nothing yet for a second gen GTab. The Transformer Prime is looking like the best "solution" to my "problem".

havensed

Oct 18, 2011
I think you should at the new 10.1 Toshiba Thrive. Its amazing as far as I am concerned.....lots of storage features.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

kkolaas90

Oct 14, 2011
Havensed it looks good but it still has just the Tegra 2, I decided to wait for the Tegra 3. Thanks though.

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
I own an Asus Transformer which I really love. While I would recommend the transformer, the update to the transformer, the transformer Prime is due out soon. It will be the first tablet running the latest version on android, Ice Cream Sandwich. Supposedly will be out in November, so I would wait and get that (make sure you get the keyboard dock also). The Asus Transformer Prime is reallys supposed to be a game changer; slimmer, faster, more powerful than anything currently on the market. I've been an Asus fan for many years, using their motherboards and video cards in my pc. Asus has always been very good with updates and they have been good with updating the transformer so far. I've has no issues with my transformer.
I chose the transformerover the Galaxy tab because the transformer had more features even without the dock including a minisd slot. The keyboard dock adds a 2 usb ports, a full sie sd shot and a battery that boosts the time up to 14 hours of heavy use. I have 32mb on board, but I also have a 32mb sd and 32mb microsd installed. So far, every usb device I've connected works. I don't even carry my phone charger anymore because I use my keyboard dock to keep my phone charged. I got an early version of the transformer that did not have the 3g module, but I was able to teter my phone to the transformer with no problems. I noticed that movies don't stream as good as the could over 3g on my phone or transformer, but when I upgraded my phone to a 4g, both the phone and transformer stream movies fine.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited: