Patent Office Goes Off the Deep-End; Awards Apple with Patent for Rounded Rectangle

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
godzilla-facepalm.jpeg

When you see news like this, it just makes you wonder if you are living in a whole different dimension than other people. Apparently, there is a dimension where logic and reason are replaced by idiocy and madness. The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) recently awarded a patent to Apple for literally a rounded rectangle. (Feel free to facepalm repeatedly now.)

D607286_patent_figure.png

The specifics of the patent relate to the iPad's "ornamental" design feature encapsulated in US Patent D670,286 for a "Portable display device." Here's a quote with some additional detail,

The '286 patent awarded on Tuesday appears to give Apple the exact patent the Samsung and Apple critics have erroneously claimed that the '889 patent was. The patent includes a number of drawings of the original iPad design, with most of its uniquely identifying features in dashed lines. As stated in the patent description, "broken lines in the Figures show portions of the portable display device which form no part of the claimed design."

The only unbroken line in all the figures is the outline of the flat, rounded rectangular front face of the device. All the other identifiable features, such as the speaker grille, round home button, display size, Dock connector, or even its curved back, are not covered by this design patent.

It's important to note that it is unlikely this patent will actually make much difference for Apple in the courtroom, because there are almost no competitors creating devices that are direct duplicates of Apple's design. Still, the fact that an actual thinking human being made this decision says sad things about the survival of our species...

Source: ArsTechnica

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I claim the patent of rectangles and squares with non-rounded corners. I also claim the patents of straight edges and curved edges as well as flat surfaces and curved surfaces. You can all start paying me now or see me in court later :D

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I hereby claim patent on the circle, to include the wheel, gear, sprocket, cog, idler wheel and capstan wheel.

Spacely and Cogsworth... PAY ATTENTION!

:p

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry you will have to license the curved edge from me first since a circle is simply a uniformly curved edge that meets itself ;)

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Sorry... it is the other way around, as a circle is a complete element unto itself and is functional without supporting elements, unlike a curve which is useless (except for, perhaps a bowl) without lines, angles, etc.

You MAY claim the semi-circle, but that would be exclusive of the complete circle, that being distinct from two semi-circles attached.
:rolleyes:

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
... or I'll see you in court...

Shall we say Nassau, Bahamas,

or

Island of Oahu, Hawaii? :p

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I also reserve the venues of the Mediterranean and Oceana.