Phone calls on an android tablet

cruentus

Jan 1, 2012
I do not yet own an android tablet.
I have been searching the internet and your site for information on android tablets.

I've found this tablet comparison table on wikipedia to be a useful starting point:
Comparison of tablet computers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So far, I have not found a source that definatively states if a tablet can be used to make regular phone calls.

In my searching I found this video showing that the 7" Galaxy tab can be used in exactly the same way as a phone.

Tablet specifications are given which states if they are capable of 3G and HSDPA. However, they don't list for definate if they can make phonecalls. I realise this use may seem very unnecessary to most of you but please believe that I have several uses in mind where skype or voip would not be appropriate and let me decide for myself if it's a factor in my tablet choice. One potential use for a tablet I'm interested in is using it to receive calls through my car's bluetooth handsfree.

Can anyone say for certain which tablets can be used for regular cellular phonecalls?

Last edited by a moderator:

cruentus

Jan 1, 2012
I managed to find an answer to this which I'm positing here for people searching in future.

From laoya here: [Q] Making phone calls with the galaxy tab 10.1v?? - xda-developers

The android 3.0 is only for tablet, no phones at all, so this OS is not designed for mobile phones, so all android 3.0 tablet cannot make a phone call, as well as moto Xoom.

That explains why I've been reading conflicting reports on the ability to make phone calls and why the 7" galaxy tab can do so but the 10.1 can't. I believe I'll be waiting to ensure I get a tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich which I assume will have call functions.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Thank you very much for posting your research! Very helpful.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
some tablets can be used as phones but many just use the android software that was originally made for phones rather than pc's this is why many have phone apps but cant use them .