Pleased Velocity Cruz Micro Reader Owner

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I bought a Velocity Cruz Micro Reader after not being satisfied with a cheap (sub $100) reader that I bought. I paid too much for this ($189) but that is my fault. I wanted it NOW instead of waiting for the inevitable price drop.

As a book reader it is AWESOME. I have used Borders, Kindle and Nook apps as well as the Aldiko reader and they all work well. OliveTree Bible program also works very well.

It works reasonably well for web surfing and facebooking. For a 7" screen it does remarkably well.

I like the feel of the device. It is well made and solid feeling. I have not noticed it being heavy as some have complained. Compared to my Asus t91mt its a lightweight.

I wish it had more system ram. I upped the internal storage to an 8gig micro SD and have a 32gig SD card, but the 256meg internal memory is a real limitation for me.

All in all I really like it.

Cen5

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
My gf has the micro cruz tablet, has more internal storage, I think. Ill have to check it out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android Tablet Forum App

stgardner

Dec 8, 2010
I'm considering the Cruz, especially because of the current sale at Best Buys. For your internal memory upgrade, what micro SD did you use; brand, model, class, speed? Also, did you determine if there was an upper limit to the size of the micro SD you could install?

Lastly, has anyone determined what CPU is used in this?

Thanks

stgardner

stgardner

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I did some searching and found EasyStore's that are class 2. If that is what you are using and it works well, that's great. What kind of card was originally in the Cruz?

I stopped over at Frys Electronics and had a chance to play with the Cruz reader and tablet. Here is what I noticed.

The touch of the capacitive screen of the tablet is clearly superior and the resistive screen of the reader seemed somewhat insensitive. Perhaps, it is because of demo abuse or old firmware. The Coby 7015 was much more responsive.

I do like the look of 800X600 resolution better than 800X480, however, if you'll be playing 16X9 videos you'll lose a bit. The home icon onscreen at the edge seems to require more force to activate. Perhaps, there is less give in the screen for the resistance. Also, the icons are smaller, so if you have fat fingers, you'll need to be careful.

The demo units needed some serious cleaning of finger smudges. I think a lot of people came in to try them out after eating some KFC. A stylus might be the best way to go for resistive screens.

Lastly, the reader's G-sensor is only 2 directions, not a full 360 degrees. Not a great issue if you can remember which way to turn it, but I suspect that it won't handle 3D games. Can anyone confirm?

The sale is on until Saturday at Best Buy's, so I can think about it some more.

tlspencer

Dec 30, 2010
I use the eraser end of a pencil as a stylus for my reader... works like a charm! The real key is taking the time to calibrate it, and do it over and over until you get "excellent" to come up instead of just "Good". I ordered mine the day after Christmas from Tiger Direct, $119. It is perfect for what I wanted and I did not have any unreasonable expectations as to what this thing could do. It is NOT going to please anyone looking for something comparable to an iPad or the like. I've had a Sony eReader for several years, it's an excellent replacement for that. And I love the WiFi, such as it is. I have a netbook and a notebook, did not need another computer with full capabilities, this reader fit the bill perfectly.

irishpride

May 3, 2010
For anyone who wants the velocity, don't get it. Spend the extra $75 and get a nook color, it is 10X the device, without any of the issues. Take this from a disappointed former owner of one.

Sent From My GalaxyS

radioman52

Nov 28, 2010
For anyone who wants the velocity, don't get it. Spend the extra $75 and get a nook color, it is 10X the device, without any of the issues. Take this from a disappointed former owner of one.
Sent From My GalaxyS

Sorry to hear that you where so disappointed with your Cruz Reader.
On the other hand this $99 post new year BB sale reader with the addition of the JGM rooted and de-bloated FW which includes the App2sd script has become the Hidden Gem even running at 533 MHz it puts some of the "high price" models to shame.
Any way enjoy the Nook, one day someone will find a way to make it a real tablet.
Sent from my $99.95 Cruz Reader 103V3

Ami

Jan 24, 2011
Sent From My GalaxyS

You sound a lot like my friend Jacquie. She first tried the Velocity Reader, didn't like it, returned it and also got the Nook Color and is very happy with that. As for myself, I love my new Cruz Reader. It takes a bit more TLC but I don't really mind that.

~Ami

bgthunda

Feb 22, 2011
Hey I found a formats update called macho cruz. I downloaded and was pleased to find that it worked very well and came with android marketplace predownloaded. However, after updating I couldn't connect to wifi. I wouldn't recognize my network. So I downloaded the original updated firmware upgrade posted on velocity. Has any one tried this?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

bgthunda

Feb 22, 2011
Hopefully you can help me. I used macho cruz firm

ware update for my r103 and cannot connect to wifi. Was. is supposed to clear existing data before upgrading? However I downloaded to existing firmware update from velocity support. Its a shame that it wouldn't recognize my wifi networks and thoughts or recommendations on my issue? Thank you

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App