Power Port

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
One of the only concerns I've had about the VTAB has been the micro USB power port. Before I purchased it at Sam's, their demo wouldn't work because the power port went bad. Now, mine is very loose and the cable has to be jammed up for the unit to charge. I've tried several different cables that work with other Micro-usb ports on my Kindle and phone - they all are loose, so I think the problem is internal. Any one else have this problem? What did you do about it? Thanks in advance!

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
I have heard of others concerned based on demo units but not sure how many have had the actual problem. Mine has been fine so far (almost 3 months of use)

bkaler

Oct 13, 2011
it happened to me a couple weeks back and the vtab refused to charge. I could not discern any notable damage other than it wouldn't charge anymore. I was relatively rough with it (only because I have a droid incredible and many other devices that use this charging method) but it only lasted about 2 weeks. I will say I wasn't negligent, I just treated it like my other devices that are over 2 years old and have no signs of damage and this happened.

I did take my issue to vizio and they issued a replacement unit, but I'm being very careful with it's replacement currently and I actually won't use it if it's charging now because it's quite loose (also seems to depend on the micro-usb cable used, my incredible's charging cable fits very loosely, the cable the vtab came with is quite a snug fit however).

JoelWUpchurch

Nov 30, 2011
Yes, I had a problem and had to return my first unit to Costco. I purchased a replacement and also bought a right angle micro USB cable to avoid future problems.

That sounds like a good idea. I think any sort of vertical force is hard on flat type sockets and the way the cable sticks out puts too much leverage on the socket. All you need is some moron to lean on the cable with their thumb and you could be SOL. In fact, I think I'll order the one foot cable and use a USB extension cable to connect it, so I minimize the number of cycles on the socket. I figure I can leave the cable plugged in most of the time and clip it out of the way. I've have USB and HDMI sockets that have died on me.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com UUSBHAUB1RA 1 Feet Micro USB Cable - A to Right Angle Micro B: Electronics

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The right angle cable is a good idea gphoton and thanks for the link to one Joel.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Good news! Vizio is going to replace my tablet as well. And, I'm going to get one of those right-angle cables!

montyzuma

Dec 25, 2011
I think having the power port on the bottom is such a bad place, you are just asking for trouble. My kids will always want to use it when it's plugged in. My friend at Sam's Club said a lot are being returned because of this.

I thought a right angle plug was a great idea, and ordered some for the 3 vtabs my family has. I went through the above link, and bought 4 of the six foot versions. I was very disappointed, because none of the four could maintain the connection. They would blink on and off at the slightest movement, even when standing still. They matched up very well physically.

I am going to look for another company...has anyone found one that works?

tec10

Jan 31, 2012
The USB port is surface mounted and will break loose with vertical force. Best to not use in portrait mode while charging or plug in. Wish they had a power jack instead.

Automate

Nov 15, 2011
I have had the USB port go bad on two VTABs. The first lasted about a month. The port became very loose. The 2nd only lasted 3 days and the socket was not loose. VTAB would not charge or connect to PC with USB.

Looking for good right angle connector cable for my 3rd VTAB.

JoelWUpchurch

Nov 30, 2011
The USB port is surface mounted and will break loose with vertical force. Best to not use in portrait mode while charging or plug in. Wish they had a power jack instead.

My experience with laptops are that the powerports are surface mounted also and do break off. It happens often enough that I found a company that specializes in this kind of repair.

dougb73

Feb 1, 2012
The power port on my VTAB crapped out after 1 month. The unit was a refurb from woot and was "babied" because I already heard of the power port problem. Sad that an otherwise fantastic product has a fatal design flaw. Vizio is replacing it with another refurb... So has anyone found a cable that will help with this problem yet?

xkchief

Dec 8, 2011
To make the micro easier to plug in I painted a spot of white on the top, with this done it much easier to plug in !

Dhammer01

Nov 25, 2011
Well I have had to return my 2nd VTAB to COSTCO for the powerport issue.On my second one I even bought the right angled mini usb however, again the connector came loose and would not charge untill you wiggled it around. I think that has about done it for me as far as getting another one until either the next generation of the 8" Tab arrives and the powerport connection had been remidied or the 10" Tab arrives and blows me away.
I was really having alot of fun with this tablet but since this is a major defect in it's design I am backing away.
I hope all who have this Tablet enjoy it and do not have the issue with the Powerport connection...Be sure to baby it.