Pre-Order Your Google/Asus Nexus 7 Tablet Today on Google Play Store for $199.99!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
google-nexus7-preorder.png

We just wanted to reiterate that you can now purchase the Asus-made Google Nexus 7 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean tablet on the Google Play Store right now! The 8GB version is just $199.99, and the 16GB version is just $249.99. If you order one right away, they have a limited time only offer that gives you a $25 credit to spend on Google Play, as well as some great free content, including your own copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Here's a link below to the Play Store to grab yours!

Source: Google Play Store - Asus/Google Nexus 7 Tablet and Nexus 7 Website

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I'd be pre-ordering one now if only it had a microsd slot..... :( It looks great otherwise.

wonderscout

May 30, 2012
I have to agree - the lack of a microSD slot is probably a deal breaker for me. Which is Sad, since I've been looking forward to this device for a while. I'm really happy with the projected battery life. I was pleasantly surprised that they kept the GPS. HDMI out would also have been nice, but not a deal breaker for me. I guess I'll have to keep waiting, and hope one of the other Nexus branded devices to come out this year picks up the slack.

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I guess they are counting on cloud storage :)

Yeah, that's almost certainly the reason they left it out.

I bought my wife a Kindle Fire on release day and she's not even close to running out of storage room. She's more the type of (mainstream) buyer that Google is likely to be targetting for the Nexus tablet.

roblox84

Apr 10, 2012
Yeah, that's almost certainly the reason they left it out.

I bought my wife a Kindle Fire on release day and she's not even close to running out of storage room. She's more the type of (mainstream) buyer that Google is likely to be targetting for the Nexus tablet.

I think 16gb is a very good amount of space. I only had a 16gb card in my last tablet and I was able to fit 6-7 movies on it or a couple of seasons of tv shows. Obviously these weren't 1080p or something ridiculous like that.

I wanted to ask, with this google cloud thing for extra storage, am I able to just upload music and games to it that I downloaded? Or does it have to be things purchased from google?

wonderscout

May 30, 2012
I have to agree - the lack of a microSD slot is probably a deal breaker for me.
In thinking more about this, does ICS/JB allow a USB device such as a thumb drive to be accessed if connected to the micro USB slot, or will that slot only work for connecting to a PC? While not my favorite solution, this may be an acceptable alternative for me. If I could keep a collection of videos and movies I wanted on thumb drives or SD/TF cards with adapters - The rest of the specs are pretty good.

As for HDMI, it wasn't for home use so much, but would be nice for running a projector presentation so I didn't have to haul out my laptop - Especially when I finally get myself a pico projector.

Also, how well does ICS/JB do for running Gingerbread applications that are no longer supported and thus not updated for the newer OSes?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
In thinking more about this, does ICS/JB allow a USB device such as a thumb drive to be accessed if connected to the micro USB slot, or will that slot only work for connecting to a PC? While not my favorite solution, this may be an acceptable alternative for me. If I could keep a collection of videos and movies I wanted on thumb drives or SD/TF cards with adapters - The rest of the specs are pretty good.

Yes, Android has a usb host most and the hardware will most likely support it (most hardware does) so usb sticks and other usb devices should work fine with the right adapter.

As for HDMI, it wasn't for home use so much, but would be nice for running a projector presentation so I didn't have to haul out my laptop - Especially when I finally get myself a pico projector.
There may be other ways to accomplish this such as DNLA type apps that will allow streaming output.

Also, how well does ICS/JB do for running Gingerbread applications that are no longer supported and thus not updated for the newer OSes?

This is fine. You can run older apps, it is the other way around that is an issue. Apps designed for newer versions of Android may not work on the older versions.

wonderscout

May 30, 2012
Yes, Android has a usb host most and the hardware will most likely support it (most hardware does) so usb sticks and other usb devices should work fine with the right adapter.

Is there anyone who has one of the early releases of the Nexus 7 that can confirm that a thumb drive connected to the micro usb port (via appropriate adapters) is readable and that media on the drive is available to video and music players, and/or other apps? If so, I think I'm ready to order one.