Pre-purchase questions

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I've been looking to buy an Android tablet and have focused on the Acer A500. While I'm close to buying one I still have a little more research to do before I actually make the purchase. Then I found this forum and have gotten a lot of information. But I have a few more questions and was hoping to get some more advise.

1. First and foremost, was anyone considering waiting until the Toshiba tablet comes out. The main advantage of the Toshiba is the replaceable battery and it takes a full size SD card rather than the Micro SD. Some of the rumors had it coming out in April, but now the rumors are saying June. It is unknown as to whether the screen is any better or worse than the Acer.

2. I thought I saw on some video review of the A500 that it had Skype. I know it has Google Talk, or something like that, but does it have Skype. If so is it just a phone app that can run on a tablet or is it a real tablet app?

3. I know it comes with some kind of ebook reader, but can it handle Kindle ebooks? If I were to buy a Kindle ebook from Amazon, would it work on the A500.

4. I saw a mention somewhere of an Acer A501 coming out "next month." Does anyone know what the differences are and if "next month" is real?

Well, I think that's all my questions for now. Thanks very much for your help!

Gerry

russell5

Apr 29, 2011
sorry can't answer all your questions but here's I know.
It does not have skype. Skypre with video chat for android has not been officially released yet just anounced. I assume once it comes out you can install it.
I'm not sure if the built ebook reader app will handle kindle books but amazon has an app for android. Sorry not sure how well it works on honeycomb thought.

wmunn

Apr 25, 2011
Hi ALL,

I've been looking to buy an Android tablet and have focused on the Acer A500. While I'm close to buying one I still have a little more research to do before I actually make the purchase. Then I found this forum and have gotten a lot of information. But I have a few more questions and was hoping to get some more advise.

1. First and foremost, was anyone considering waiting until the Toshiba tablet comes out. The main advantage of the Toshiba is the replaceable battery and it takes a full size SD card rather than the Micro SD. Some of the rumors had it coming out in April, but now the rumors are saying June. It is unknown as to whether the screen is any better or worse than the Acer.

2. I thought I saw on some video review of the A500 that it had Skype. I know it has Google Talk, or something like that, but does it have Skype. If so is it just a phone app that can run on a tablet or is it a real tablet app?

3. I know it comes with some kind of ebook reader, but can it handle Kindle ebooks? If I were to buy a Kindle ebook from Amazon, would it work on the A500.

4. I saw a mention somewhere of an Acer A501 coming out "next month." Does anyone know what the differences are and if "next month" is real?

Well, I think that's all my questions for now. Thanks very much for your help!

Gerry

1. I was interested in buying a device right now, not waiting. I went with what I thought was best and available. That being said, full sized SD would be nice, but I don't have a lot of full sized sd cards around anyways, and the few I do, are already being used for a purpose.

2. Skype is no deal breaker, and will be available eventually.

3. Kindle books are readily viewed using the kindle app in the marketplace.

4. The A501 reference is likely referring to telco sponsored A500 devices with SIM card capability for cell service on the tablet.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You can bet that Toshiba will be $150 more than the a150. And the specs will be the same.

I have used skype from the market. It works, but no video yet.

Google is just now pushing video chat to the masses via a plugin for the web based gmail and Google talk. This means Skypes days are numbered.
The version of Google talk on honeycomb supports this already. It works fine. Don't wait for skype.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
The A501 is to to be carried by ATT, carrier sponsored (3g).

The Kindle app (and nook app and Amazon Cloud app) work great on the A500.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

pentool

May 1, 2011
I bought mine from BestBuy 2 days ago. It IS an A500. However, when you go into Settings > About Tablet, the Model number says "A500". Then when you select "Device Info", it does show that the Device ID is A501.

Whatever this means...

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
It looks like they're all (somewhat) preconfigured to be A501. However, ours does not have a Sim card slot. There's body colored tape there where the holder should be.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

Thanks for all your input to my questions! I'm getting nearer and nearer to going to BB and just buy one!!! Still want to do a little more research and this forum is now my number one site to visit every time I turn on my PC.

I'm also interested in the thread on the case specially made for the A500. Its a little pricy but it looks like its got cutouts for all the hard buttons and ports. Someone ordered one and is supposed to have it on Mon and will be posting his comments.

So, I may soon join the ranks of a A500 owner!!

Thanks again,
Gerry

kaspr00

May 1, 2011
You should just go and get it now :) .seriously this is a great tablet and is my first tablet And first android. Loving it! I know you will too :)

kaspr00

May 1, 2011
I believe the return window is only 14 days for tablets.

Indeed. I work at best buy and tablets, computers, mp3 players and cameras are only 14 days. Keep your receipt!!!!!! Please god keep it

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Got my tablet 2 days ago. Yesterday I had to do something in the middle of working with it so I put it on the top shelf of my bookshelf, on top of a stack of books. Thought it was safe.

While I was in the other room, one of my cats got up on the book shelf and knocked the tablet off. I measured the fall to be 4 feet 7 inches onto a wooden floor.

Nothing. It still works like a champ.

I heard the tablet hit the floor from another room in the house. I got that sick feeling in my stomach as the cat ran past me.

I looked at everything, case is intact, programs work, nothing.

This fall would have killed any laptop or maybe even my cellphone.

Maybe I was lucky, or maybe this thing is stronger than I thought.

Ken

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
You should just go and get it now :) .seriously this is a great tablet and is my first tablet And first android. Loving it! I know you will too :)

Just go buy it and return it within 30 days if you dont like it :)

Hi ALL,

I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger! Possibly even this week! Although I probably don't have much need for the GPS I'm still a little concerned that some people are having problems with it. I eagerly browse this forum a few times each day for more info.

Also, I kind of figured that the return window at BB for this type of item was not 30 days and it seems to be 14 days. Still 2 weeks should be enough to check it out!!!

Gerry