Predictive Spelling & Dictionary Solved!!!!

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
So one thing that sux about these cheapo cobys is that it never seems to have a damn dictionary, which means also the predictive spelling doesnt work. After searching a while I found the files needed. Now the method I saw posted called for me to just use a root file explorer to do everything but I couldnt get one of the apks to install so I ended just have to use adb install LatinImeGoogle.apk to get that particular apk to go into system/app. If you wish to try using just the files explorer, the method calls for you to take the LatinImeGoogle.apk in your tablets system/app directory and rename it to LatinImeGoogle.apk.bak and then copy over the LatinImeGoogle.apk listed here to your system/app folder. For some reason, I couldnt copy that apk over, sometimes I ran into read only errors, sometimes I ran into no space left errors. So this is what I did and it works, any input on how to make this process easier is appreciated.
The files to download for this can be found here Auto-Correct/Dictionary Fix for ICS Roms! - xda-developers as well as a howto. I am putting what I did below because I ran into problems when I followed this method and had to improvise.

First I copied over the file LatinImeDictionarypack.apk to my tablets system/app folder, this seems to transfer fine, it is relatively small.
Second I tried to copy over LatinImeGoogle.apk , both ES file and root explorer failed, so I tried to use ADB to push the file there, error returns with no enough space, so finally I just did
Code:
adb install LatinImeGoogle.apk
This then worked, I rebooted and now dictionary and spelling correction works. I hope this helps people out there who got used to androids predictive spelling & dictionary on their phones and then got mad cause their new tablet didnt have that feature. If the rom makers out there could include this in their future builds that would make it easier on the non techies. I actually accidentally deleted the LatinIMeGoogle.apk before I tried transferring the new one so If someone uses the method in the XDA forum post please report that it was successful. Anyway Enjoy being spoiled by spelling correction, I was once a amazing speller but google search spelling correction ruined me on that.

All credit to zZDave_Stud on XDA for posting the files

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If Google Play is already installed on the tablet, an alternate approach is to download and install Jellybean Keyboard. I put it on my roommate's 9742 and while she doesn't use predictive text, she appreciates the popups whenever a button is pressed.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Good job, ziggyzag!
I used the XDA method using ES Explorer, and it worked.
Tablet: iDeaUSA CT702 / YG A777

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Natey2 said:
Good job, ziggyzag!
I used the XDA method using ES Explorer, and it worked.
Tablet: iDeaUSA CT702 / YG A777

Im assuming you didnt run into any permission problems. So don't delete LatineImegooge.apk first, it will complicate matters.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Those were 2 new files for me, so they did not replace any existing files: $uploadfromtaptalk1347130117434.jpg

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
I am using vampires mobiz rom on a 7042, and I installed latest gapps , LatinImeGoogle.apk was already present, dictionary packs were not.

Last edited: