Price Confirmed for Motorola Xoom - $799 Unsubsidized Verizon, $600 WiFi Only Model

MickyD

Oct 7, 2010
I don't know what the screen rez is, or the processor. But I sure am fond of my Droid phone (on VZ), and I'm pretty much certain I want a 7" Android tablet. Right now (esp. after hearing those price estimates), the Archos 70 Internet Tablet is looking kinda good! Then again, the B&N color Nook, running Android also looks tempting!

PS: On my latest Android phone from VZ, I added a $20 option to create a hotspot -- (for my tablet to come).

Swingman

Feb 10, 2011
xoom-vs-ipad1 › AndroidGuys

As you can see, the specs on the xoom is much better than the original ipad. The ipad 2 will close the gap a little but hard to know how much until they release the specs.

As for price, the xoom wifi (32gb) is the same price as the ipad wifi (32gb). I'd say that makes the xoom wifi appear to be a pretty good deal and competitively priced.

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
600 is a better price.

Not when you can buy a WiFi iPad for $100 less.

I'm not addressing this at fellow tech-geeks who can talk about single- versus double-core. I'm talking about the average consumer for whom "iPad" already is synonymous with "tablet." If given the choice to go with a proven success with tons of apps and support, or a new, unproven product with much less of either for $100 more, which one do you seriously think they'll pick?

I mean it...unless you can sell an Android tablet totally equivalent to the lowest-priced iPad for at least $100 less, not $100 more, than the latter's price, it has zero chance of success in today's (or, probably, any other) market.

Feb 16, 2011
well well :( it's true for the wifi. We need 1 month of activation with Verizon or something : http://www.bestbuy.com/xoom
No 600$ version for now.. but I think it will be the same.

Grr!! How can I do to make a pre-order ... ? :( I can't subscribe to Verizon if I'm from Canada ...

Swingman

Feb 10, 2011
Stinks about the 1 month data activation requirement. However, it's still impossible for the wifi-only to be the same in that regard. I'd bet the house on that.

The whole data activation requirement is most likely Verizon's decision given that they are the ones that financially benefit from that arrangement. Outside of likely negotiating the release date delay, Verizon isn't going to have anything else to do with the wifi-only version. No 3g/4g card = no wireless carriers = no possibility of data activation

As for pre-ordering, it appears to be in-store only. you could try calling the closest US best buy or driving there if close enough. Might be out of luck.

Swingman

Feb 10, 2011
Not when you can buy a WiFi iPad for $100 less.

I'm not addressing this at fellow tech-geeks who can talk about single- versus double-core. I'm talking about the average consumer for whom "iPad" already is synonymous with "tablet." If given the choice to go with a proven success with tons of apps and support, or a new, unproven product with much less of either for $100 more, which one do you seriously think they'll pick?

I mean it...unless you can sell an Android tablet totally equivalent to the lowest-priced iPad for at least $100 less, not $100 more, than the latter's price, it has zero chance of success in today's (or, probably, any other) market.

Probably right that ipad will have better sales, even if it's an inferior product. Xoom probably would still have trouble keeping up if the price was $500.

Could they cut down the specs enough on the xoom to make $500 profitable and if so would it be more/less profitable than the current $600 plan?

Lowering the price would obviously increase interest but depending on how much worse the specs looked, it might not be as much difference in demand as one might expect. People comfortable with apple products or people wanting the proven product will choose ipad regardless. Xoom just has to figure out what option will be the most profitable for them.

Biggest thing for me is if they can match battery life. The specs/features look really nice but if the battery life isn't close to the Ipads then it will struggle.

Feb 16, 2011
Stinks about the 1 month data activation requirement. However, it's still impossible for the wifi-only to be the same in that regard. I'd bet the house on that.

The whole data activation requirement is most likely Verizon's decision given that they are the ones that financially benefit from that arrangement. Outside of likely negotiating the release date delay, Verizon isn't going to have anything else to do with the wifi-only version. No 3g/4g card = no wireless carriers = no possibility of data activation

As for pre-ordering, it appears to be in-store only. you could try calling the closest US best buy or driving there if close enough. Might be out of luck.

Thanks for your answer.
Otherwise, if I must to make a activation, do you think it's possible without a verizon's number? or how do he works? I guess than everybody don't have a verizon number to buy a Xoom...

Swingman

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks for your answer.
Otherwise, if I must to make a activation, do you think it's possible without a verizon's number? or how do he works? I guess than everybody don't have a verizon number to buy a Xoom...

It should be safe to assume that your phone doesn't need to be with verizon. you would just have a bill/account for your xoom data plan.