Questions about Rooting Nook Color

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
I have a new NC running the 1.2 op sys. So, am I correct that at this time, there is no auto-nooter? I need to go with the manual nooter, right?

Second, any suggestions on buying a micro SD card? I read it needs to be at least 128 MB's and Class 6. Anything else? Is there a good place to get these at a good price? Do brands matter?

Also, do I need to get another card to back up the system in case I need to go back to un-rooted? If so, what kind of card for that?

Anything else I'm missing?

And once I get it rooted, where do I go to get other apps?

And last, we are way behind the Jones and don't have wi-fi at home--just have one computer, so it's a cord. What would I need to get wifi and could I turn it off?--I'm big on not having excess waves going through my body all day, even when I sleep! Just think that has to be unhealthy. About how much would adding wi-fi to my home cost? Keep in mind I'd have to find a way to have my computer connected still by the cord or by the wi-fi.

Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Lime let's take these one at a time.

I have a new NC running the 1.2 op sys. So, am I correct that at this time, there is no auto-nooter? I need to go with the manual nooter, right?

Second, any suggestions on buying a micro SD card? I read it needs to be at least 128 MB's and Class 6. Anything else? Is there a good place to get these at a good price? Do brands matter?

Rooting 1.2 does require "manual nooter" but really it is mostly automated.

Check this thread out it has some information about SD cards and setting up a bootable SD card that will run a custom ROM called CM7. Generally speaking SanDisk SD cadrs class 4 or 6 are the best in the Nook. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

Also, do I need to get another card to back up the system in case I need to go back to un-rooted? If so, what kind of card for that?

You can reuse a card used to do a nooter since it won't be good for anything once the process is done. That being said it is probably a good idea to have two cards. One you can use for back up and media and another card you can use for restoration and recovery.

Anything else I'm missing?

And once I get it rooted, where do I go to get other apps?

Once rooted you will have an Android Market app that will be added as part of the process. You should get a gmail account if you don't have one and use that to register your Nook at Barnes & Noble then also use that account once rooted for Market access.

And last, we are way behind the Jones and don't have wi-fi at home--just have one computer, so it's a cord. What would I need to get wifi and could I turn it off?--I'm big on not having excess waves going through my body all day, even when I sleep! Just think that has to be unhealthy. About how much would adding wi-fi to my home cost? Keep in mind I'd have to find a way to have my computer connected still by the cord or by the wi-fi.

Thanks.

You can get basic wifi routers for cheap. Check Craigslist or ebay and you can probaly find them for $5-$10. Most will have an option so that you can plug in a PC (or you can get a splitter) so that you can use both the pc and the wifi with one cable from the modem. You would be able to turn the wifi on and off at will if you are concerned with radiation.

Definately give the bootable card in the link above a try first and see what you think before rooting. If will allow you to keep a stock or rooted nook on internal memory and boot into CM7 by booting with the card in. Just power down and remove the card to go back to your normal Nook.

JP

Last edited:

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
Hi Lime let's take these one at a time.

Rooting 1.2 does require "manual nooter" but really it is mostly automated.

Check this thread out it has some information about SD cards and setting up a bootable SD card that will run a custom ROM called CM7. Generally speaking SanDisk SD cadrs class 4 or 6 are the best in the Nook. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

You can reuse a card used to do a nooter since it won't be good for anything once the process is done. That being said it is probably a good idea to have two cards. One you can use for back up and media and another card you can use for restoration and recovery.

Once rooted you will have an Android Market app that will be added as part of the process. You should get a gmail account if you don't have one and use that to register your Nook at Barnes & Noble then also use that account once rooted for Market access.

You can get basic wifi routers for cheap. Check Craigslist or ebay and you can probaly find them for $5-$10. Most will have an option so that you can plug in a PC (or you can get a splitter) so that you can use both the pc and the wifi with one cable from the modem. You would be able to turn the wifi on and off at will if you are concerned with radiation.

Definately give the bootable card in the link above a try first and see what you think before rooting. If will allow you to keep a stock or rooted nook on internal memory and boot into CM7 by booting with the card in. Just power down and remove the card to go back to your normal Nook.

JP

Thanks for all the great info!

What's the advantage of CM7?