Recovery Flash of AMID Tablets 971r & 972xs

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I would suggest if your tablet is running ok, visit the update thread and do the update as it puts all the files on your internal SD and then you can recover the tablet easily any time if it's messed up or bricked.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/bauhn-tablets/47804-updating-system-amid-971r-972xs.html

I have not actually recovery flashed my tablets, but on both models, have gone as far as being ready to choose a file. If it works differently to what I describe here, please let me know so I can edit the guide, but this should get you close enough to get it sorted.

Below is a link for the firmware update zip files you would normally download to the tablet from Tempo Australia during the update process.
It's a link to the directory on their FTP server.
1r for the single core 971r
2x for the dual core 972xs

http://59.154.20.230 - /

Unfortunately, the files were too large to upload from my own PC to here. I don't have a fixed IP address so cannot host them reliably.
I have converted this to a WORD doc and attached to the post so it is easy to download and print.

FOR AMID 972XS (971R is slightly different)

Download the correct 2x zip file for your tablet model, to your PC, Linux box or Mac.
UnZip and have a look in the directory. There are 2 zipped directories and a file.
Don't unzip the contents any further at this point. You need to copy these files to the root of your SD card for the tablet.
Insert SD in tablet, then put the tablet into recovery mode.

Recovery mode is very easy, hold down both volume buttons and then press and hold power until the light comes on, then release power but keep the volume buttons in until the green Android recovery animation appears, release both buttons and it will then bring up the following menu.

Android system recovery <3e>

Android system recovery utility

reboot system now
apply update from sd card
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache
wipe media partition
set efuse item
pixcir calibration

Choose to "apply update from sd card". Navigate to amid_g04ref-ota-eng.potti.zip and press power button to select file and start the process.

Volume buttons allow you to navigate up and down the choices and power button is select.

I'm not sure if this is the original firmware, or updated, so once rebooted and running, check if the tablet has flash 10.2 installed. If so, go to the update thread and update the tablet, or enter recovery mode again and try the patch.zip

FOR AMID 971R (972XS is slightly different)

Download the correct 1r zip file for your tablet model, to your PC, Linux box or Mac.
UnZip and have a look in the directory. There are 2 zipped directories inside.
Don't unzip the contents any further at this point. You need to copy these zip files to the root of your SD card for the tablet.
Insert SD in tablet, then put the tablet into recovery mode.

Recovery mode is very easy, hold down both volume buttons and then press and hold power until the light comes on, then release power but keep the volume buttons in until the ICS tablet splash screen shows, release both buttons, then the green Android recovery animation appears, it will then bring up the following menu.

Android system recovery <3e>

Android system recovery utility

reboot system now
apply update from sd card
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache
wipe media partition
set efuse item
pixcir calibration

Choose to "apply update from sd card". Navigate to f04ref-ota-eng.potti.zip and press "volume up" button to select file and start the process.

Power button allows you to navigate up, volume down button navigates down and volume up is select.

I'm not sure if this is the original firmware, or updated, so once rebooted and running, check if the tablet has flash 10.2 installed. If so, go to the update thread and update the tablet, or enter recovery mode again and try the patch.zip

Attachments

• $Recovery flash of AMID tablets.doc
    31 KB · Views: 1,693
Last edited:

senus

Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Robbo, this helped me un-brick my 972xs.

In my case i downloaded the update file from tempo and extracted the 3 files to the root directory of a microSd card. Then I 3 buttoned into recovery and it automaticaly did a wipe data / factory reset and flashed the update from the microSD.

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
Awesome!

Glad this has already helped someone :p

I expect it will be a common thing as people will try to mod the OS, or root it and then ruin it not knowing what not to touch.

connorjolley

Dec 16, 2012
What have I done wrong?

Mine is the 972XS. I went to the FTP, downloaded AMID-972XS_Build79774.zip, saved it to a micro SD, put the SD in the tablet but now when in recovery when I go to 'apply update from SD card" it just says:

Choose package to install:
/sdcard

../

Does this mean the tablet isn't mounting the SD? I'm pretty sure it said exactly the same when there was no SD inserted...

Or should I have unzipped the .potti file first?

Any help MUCH appreciated!

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this Robbo. I've tried to locate the 971R files but the site seems to be locked out (or files relocated).

Do you (or anyone else who followed this for the 971R) still have the zip files?

Cheers!
shaunofthedead

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
The new tablet is running Jellybean. I have noted that the update for 972XS was removed, so I think maybe there could be a Jellybean update being prepared for the older tablets.

I hope so, it would be nice if everything worked......

Kratoklastes

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this Robbo. I've tried to locate the 971R files but the site seems to be locked out (or files relocated).

Do you (or anyone else who followed this for the 971R) still have the zip files?

Cheers!
shaunofthedead

Yeah, same issue here - WinSCP fails to login anonymously and using the URL in a browser gives a fail.

Apparently if you go through the manufacturer's update procedure it stores the appropriate zipfile on your tab... I haven't done that yet so can't confirm: I don't need to run the update since I bought my 971R refurbed, and it came with ICS 4.0.3 already installed (not bad for $70, yo!)

CrazyAndroid

Mar 28, 2017
All the links here are down from the supplier's updates, but I managed to get my old tablet going again thanks to this:

Bauhn Amid 971r any rom (recovery,ofw or custom)

and the updates:

ROM Aldi (Bauhn) tablet AMID –971R | [Official]-[Updated] add the 04/04/2014 on Needrom

You will need to register from email to download the zip files, instructions with links.

These are for the 971r which is the tablet that was falsely advertised a 2-core back in the day, but is only a single core

Best of luck with your tablet!