Remove Or Block Baidu

shinnen

Aug 24, 2018
Hi,
I have baidu search engine (or brower, I'm not sure which) on my Allwinner A23. I would like to remove or block it, whichever I can do. I have rooted the device, but don't see baidu listed in the apps.
Thanks,
... john

shinnen

Aug 24, 2018
Hi,
Just to let you know. I have installed link2SD and removed the browser. I 'think' it has done what I wanted. Link2SD shows a lot of apps installed that I have no idea about.
..... john

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You don't specify the brand of tablet you have, but some of them, especially if they come from China, will have a browser that defaults to Baidu. If it doesn't have an option to use another search engine, simply installing a different browser like Chrome or Firefox will resolve the problem. That said, blocking a given website isn't difficult. Here's the most common way to do it, although other methods also exist.

1. Root your device (you've already done this).
2. Install AdAway.
3. Open AdAway.
4. Grant AdAway root permissions.
5. Navigate to AdAway's blacklist.
6. Add "baidu.com" to the blacklist.
7. Return to AdAway's main screen.
8. Select "Enable Ad Blocking".
9. When AdAway completes its task, reboot.

shinnen

Aug 24, 2018
Hi Traveller,
Thanks for helping me ... again. Unfortunately I didn't get your message in time, and installed Link2SD, which allowed me to uninstall the Browser (Baidu). Now when I go to google and click on a search item, it tells me that there's no app to open the URL. Did uninstalling the browser cause this?
Then I reset the data, which worked fine, leaving the root intact, but the browser icon is still not visible.
Is the lack of a browser the reason I'm getting the 'no app to open URL' error?
Thanks,
..... john

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Yep. You don't have a browser at all now, so you need to either put the one you removed back where it belongs, or download one.

shinnen

Aug 24, 2018
Hi Traveller,
I thought that the data reset would re-install the browser, but if it did, I can't see it. What browser do you recommend? This is an Allwinner A23, so something basic would be best.
..... john

shinnen

Aug 24, 2018
Thanks again Traveller. I'll try one of the one's from the list you provided. This thing only has 512mb of ram, so Chrome may be too slow.
I appreciate the help.
..... john