Removing system apk' $

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
Altought we already know that removing this apk's from the system os would allow us to have a better performance on the tablet, this would be the following ones:

-Telephone.apk
-Telephony provider.apk
-Bluetooth.apk

But what about removing some other .apk's? Like hdmi.apk (for the express one model that doesnt come with hdmi) and few others?

So it would be great to know morw info is someone knows regarding it?

Regards jv90

Sent from my Sytabex7 Tablet

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Altought we already know that removing this apk's from the system os would allow us to have a better performance on the tablet, this would be the following ones:

-Telephone.apk
-Telephony provider.apk
-Bluetooth.apk

But what about removing some other .apk's? Like hdmi.apk (for the express one model that doesnt come with hdmi) and few others?

So it would be great to know morw info is someone knows regarding it?

Regards jv90

Warning: Too much deleting can lead to mistakes potentially bricking the device.

Use this information at your own risk.
Can versus could versus do you really want to is subjective.

Before attempting any modifications ensure that the tablet can be factory reset "three finger method", obtain the "hwver", a current InfoTM Update Wrap (*.ius) file, download the InfoTM Update Wrap tools (IUW.exe) and know how to use them.

This is the /system/app folder from a tablet updated with 11.2.1.5.2.0_beta4
Code:
           [B]bytes   apk name[/B]
           141,873 AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
            17,989 ApplicationsProvider.apk
           551,687 Browser.apk - [COLOR=#0000cd]< Could be deleted? [/COLOR]If replaced with another browser such as Skyfire or Dolphin
            75,625 Calculator.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Probably could be deleted but never tried[/COLOR]
            33,760 CalendarWidget.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted and is always one of the first to go![/COLOR]
           313,854 Camera.apk - (Irritating that it's only really a screenshot application)
            63,806 CertInstaller.apk
           906,330 Contacts.apk
           129,247 ContactsProvider.apk
            11,391 DefaultContainerService.apk
           264,439 DeskClock.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]and is always the second one to go![/COLOR]
            71,069 DownloadProvider.apk
            18,663 DrmProvider.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted (If not using DRM'd music files)[/COLOR]
         2,602,262 droidreader-0.5.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR]
           871,154 Email.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR] (Generic email reader)
            70,481 FileManager.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted also known as OI Filemanager[/COLOR]
           371,779 Gallery.apk
         1,621,393 Gmail.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR] (If not using Gmail or don't want future acccess to Google Market)
           728,822 GoogleServicesFramework.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR] (If don't want future acccess to Google Market)
            15,272 HDMIService.apk [COLOR=#0000ff]< On a EX7 with no HDMI port, probably[/COLOR]
           550,017 HelenBrowser.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted but replace with another "File explorer"[/COLOR]
            11,995 HTMLViewer.apk
         2,493,819 Laputa3.0.3.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR]
           485,116 LatinIME.apk
         1,591,711 Launcher1.apk [COLOR=#ff0000]< Only if replaced and set as default to another Launcher like Zeam, LauncherPro[/COLOR]
            45,217 MediaProvider.apk
           414,875 Music.apk
            72,099 PackageInstaller.apk
         1,307,590 Phone.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR]
            15,933 PicoTts.apk [COLOR=#0000ff]< Has been deleted in the past but can't remember[/COLOR]
            71,840 Protips.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR]
             3,608 Provision.apk
           212,455 QuickSearchBox.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Deleted once replaced with newer version in Google Experience tests[/COLOR]
         1,007,911 sam4.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR]
            16,194 Screenshot.apk - (Paired with Camera.apk to create screenshots on devices without camera hardware)
         2,520,036 Settings.apk [COLOR=#0000ff]< Can be replaced with default application from SDK. Obtain some features but lose others and must be paired with SettingsProvider.apk from SDK.[/COLOR]
            36,706 SettingsProvider.apk [COLOR=#0000ff]< Can be replaced with default application from SDK but must be paired with Settings.apk from SDK.[/COLOR]
            64,297 SoundRecorder.apk
            44,588 TelephonyProvider.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR]
            38,473 Term.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted[/COLOR] - Install Android Terminal Emulator instead.
            13,241 TheatreModeService.apk
            23,117 TtsService.apk
             9,880 UserDictionaryProvider.apk
           925,985 VideoPlayer.apk
            24,426 VpnServices.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted if VPN is not needed[/COLOR]
         2,252,884 WeatherForecast.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted and it the third to go! [/COLOR]
             9,154 WiFiSetting.apk  [COLOR=#0000cd]< Could be deleted if don't want shortcut to WiFi would require going through Settings[/COLOR]
           688,263 YouTube.apk [COLOR=#0000cd]< Can be deleted but seems to be the only version to funtion.[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
Thanks again cfrokit for your prompt response regarding my enquire,

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I have been wondering if browser.apk could be deleted, because I noticed that when I run SkyFire and go to my task killer it always shows the browser.apk running too.
so if I can delete browser.apk I think my net experience might improve.

Zippoku

Jun 11, 2011
I can confirm it, you can rename or delete the browser.apk. Im using Opera Mini and Maxthon too !

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
What about hdmi services.apk? For the express model that comes whitout the hdmi port

Last edited:

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
There's a thread here somewhere called Essential Files that I started and has a list of files I renamed to see if it would break the system. I've since deleted all of those files and the system is running fine. I think the list CFR posted has a few additional ones that I'll have to peek at removing.

A few questions regarding the applications list above.

Camera.apk & Screenshot.apk - Since the TABEX7 doesn't have a camera, these can be removed right? What if you wanted to connect and external camera through the USB dongle, such as a webcam or even a digital camera? Would the camera.apk be needed?

I know Contacts.apk can be deleted, but ContactsProvider.apk has to remain. I don't really use my tab for email (would if I could tether to my Behold II) so I'm not worried to much about an address book. Has anyone else tried loading a different contacts list?

Can the Gallery.apk be deleted and replaced with something else?

I've removed both the FileManager and the HelenBrowser. I have EStrongs and RootExplorer, though both of those are in the data/app directory, I haven't tried moving them to the system/app directory. I did notice that after removing the originals, that EStrongs seemed to have lost it's ability to look at zip files, but I need to try that again to confirm.

The Wifi.apk can be removed and not affect Wifi abilities? Only thing about it is that you have to go to the settings screen? If that's the case I'll try removing it since I normally go to the settings screen anyhow.

Since I have the TABEX7 without the HDMI port, and I don't have a HD tv anyhow, I will try renaming the HDMIService.apk and post what happens. I know that I've had a few messages referencing 'HD' so it's possible that even without the HDMI port, the service is still needed. If it's needed in the way I think it is... I may have to reflash after renaming it. *crosses fingers*

Here's a question. With the Settings.apk and the SettingsProvider.apk, you say that you gain some features, but lose others. Can you be more specific? What's lost? What's gained?

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
I see, hmmmm..... What about theatermodeservices.apk?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
There's a thread here somewhere called Essential Files that I started and has a list of files I renamed to see if it would break the system. I've since deleted all of those files and the system is running fine. I think the list CFR posted has a few additional ones that I'll have to peek at removing.

Rrok007, sorry I try and recall if something has been posted and refer to that thread instead of repeating the same information. Using the Search Forum would has found your post http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/search.php?searchid=809510 where we discussed this topic

A few questions regarding the applications list above.

Camera.apk & Screenshot.apk - Since the TABEX7 doesn't have a camera, these can be removed right? What if you wanted to connect and external camera through the USB dongle, such as a webcam or even a digital camera? Would the camera.apk be needed?
My guess is these two applications are paired to provide the Screenshot functionality which is the "Camera icon" on the menu bar. If you don't plan on ever "taking a picture" of what's displayed on the tablets screen then they could be deleted.
I know Contacts.apk can be deleted, but ContactsProvider.apk has to remain. I don't really use my tab for email (would if I could tether to my Behold II) so I'm not worried to much about an address book. Has anyone else tried loading a different contacts list?
Can your Behold II host an Ad Hoc wifi connection? If so, there a patched file that will allow the tablet to see Ad Hoc networks thus allowing the tablet to obtain an IP and utilize the Host internet connection.

Can the Gallery.apk be deleted and replaced with something else?
Don't know.
I've removed both the FileManager and the HelenBrowser. I have EStrongs and RootExplorer, though both of those are in the data/app directory, I haven't tried moving them to the system/app directory. I did notice that after removing the originals, that EStrongs seemed to have lost it's ability to look at zip files, but I need to try that again to confirm.
I noticed this as well with RootExplorer and traced it back to the microSD card. Without an SD card in the tablet, files could not be unpacked thus viewed. Once a properly formatted SD card was inserted the functionality returned.
The Wifi.apk can be removed and not affect Wifi abilities? Only thing about it is that you have to go to the settings screen? If that's the case I'll try removing it since I normally go to the settings screen anyhow.
To test, just add to .bak file extension to the existing application without removing it and test to confirm before deleting.

Since I have the TABEX7 without the HDMI port, and I don't have a HD tv anyhow, I will try renaming the HDMIService.apk and post what happens. I know that I've had a few messages referencing 'HD' so it's possible that even without the HDMI port, the service is still needed. If it's needed in the way I think it is... I may have to reflash after renaming it. *crosses fingers*
Either rename or add the .bak file extension to test. Several posts discuss clearing /data/dalvik-cache folder as it maintains some application information. Once the folder is deleted it is rebuilt on the next reboot. I first saw this instruction in adding Google Market, not sure if it pertains but it makes sense that an application may need to be cleaned up if manually deleted.
Here's a question. With the Settings.apk and the SettingsProvider.apk, you say that you gain some features, but lose others. Can you be more specific? What's lost? What's gained?
It's been a while since that was tested while searching for an update method. What I recall was the System Update no longer pointed to infoTM but a generic method which failed. Phone settings appeared but since this is a tablet they were useless. You could toggle Mock Locations and some other development settings. If time permits load the SDK and create a virtual device and view the Settings to see all of the common options. infoTM has removed or blocked access to ones that either don't pertain or they don't wish to code to support.

I see, hmmmm..... What about theatermodeservices.apk?
Good question, does it go with HDMI or is it related to media such as a photo slide show or movie player. Try adding the file extension .bak without deleting the application to test.

As always, if you can "three finger" factory reset anything deleted will be restored to factory after reset since we don't have a custom update file. All of this investigation will make it easier to decide what or what not to include in a custom ROM for performance or functionality.

Last edited:

djstar

Sep 14, 2011
ok i had a problem with my archos 7 home tablet i use to use this tablet normally and then i said let me upgrade the firmware to android gengerbeard 2.2.1 now im having problem with the tablet im not happy with the android i wanna take it back to the old firmware and i can't when im connecting the tablet to a PC its not showing me any message as "MOUNT" i try'd everything no matter what the PC its not seeing the tablet please guys help

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
hmmm; but you are in a Sylvania tablet forum, not an Archos forum, and I truly understand what you are asking for, on our model we can do it, cause we already have the knowledge and os files to burn whatever image we want; but on the Archos? I really don't know, there has to be some way for sure

Sent from my Sytabex7 Tablet using android forum