Replacement for my Imito IM7s

jabss

Dec 25, 2010
Hello there!

Unfortunately I broke my imito IM7s screen.
I already contacted the online store where I bought it (lightinthebox) and still waiting for their answer, but I sincerely doubt they will have a cost-effective solution.

So, since I'll have to spend $$$, I'm already considering a new purchase and would like to ask some opinions about a replacement.

I'll be looking for a tablet with the following characteristics:

- 10' Screen
- Capacitive screen
- Camera
- Wifi 802.11 a/b/g
- Accelerometer/compass
- Minumum Android 2.2
- uSD and USB slots
- no need for GPS neither data/3G
- Decent processor speed (I know that is subjective)

Anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Joaoabs

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Probably somehow get an Advent Vega from the UK

Also branded the POV Mobii Tegra. Model is P10AN01.

jabss

Dec 25, 2010
Hi,

Did a quick browse in the web and it looks good. Thanks for the tip!
Where can I buy it? What would be a reasonable price for it?

Thanks,
Joaoabs

jabss

Dec 25, 2010
Have you got it? What's the user experience? Is it capacitive touchscreen with multitouch?

Thx,
Jabss

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Have you got it? What's the user experience? Is it capacitive touchscreen with multitouch?

Thx,
Jabss

Sorry. That was a spam post you were replying to.

Tegra 2 -> Malata Zpad T2 or Viewsonic gTablet

Those are the ones I haven't mentioned

lucky

Mar 14, 2011
hello Jabss, i just broke my imito IM7s screen too, did u get any replacement for the LCD touch screen already? if yes, where i can find it?

Darkasha

Mar 18, 2011
My iMito has had one huge problem with it since I purchased it. And that is the power charger. The charger pin point is too long. I've tried to charge it with a similar pin (though shorter) (risky I know but I was desperate) by using a nokia phone charger, however the output is way too low to charge it. I have calculated it would take over 50 hours to get it to 100% charge. Does anyone know where I can buy a charger for the iMito? I've searched and searched but to no avail. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. It was supposed to be a lovely surprise for my daughter on her birthday, but alas it's been a nightmare.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Cut the connector off the 1.5A charger and splice the shorter connector to the transformer. Make sure you observe the correct polarity (or check for a full bridge rectifier on the tablet's circuit board).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jabss

Dec 25, 2010
Hello,

It was kind of nightmare but finally I have my imito with the screen back, three months (and 73€) after!
As I said in the previous post, I have asked the seller, Light In The Box (LITB) for a replacement part. I have explained that I needed a replacement for the screen. I didn't elaborate that much, I was expecting that they would ask for furhter details or at least to ask for some money... However, without any questions, they just said they would send it right away. It sounded too good to be true, but anything I would get would be better than what I had...

Part I
So they have sent a new screen via DHL, with a declared value of $120USD. This got stucked in customs and I would had to pay around 145€ to get it (60€ to DHL - bloodsuckers - and 85€ for customs). Of course I refused and contacted LITB in order to reach a solution, like sending it via EMS/normal post and with a declared value of $20USD (and declared as "spare parts"). It would be cheapper for them and for me!

Part II
They accepted my suggestion and after one month I got it. It didn't even got stucked in customs! Good, I thought!
When finally I was trying to mount it, I realised that the screen is divided in two parts: the screen that actually shows the images and and extenal glass that acts as input (the resistive window frame where we use the stylus pen). What I had broke was the outside part, and unfortunatelly what they have sent was the inside part! Ouch!
I took some pictures of the broken part and explained the situation to LITB. They said it would be OK. I just had to send it back (filling a return form) and then they would ship me the correct part. So I did it, (had to pay 73€ to send it via EMS back to china - That hurts!).

Part III
LITB sent the suppostly correct part via DHL. I contacted them saying something like "don't you guys learn? If I have to pay that much again I'll not accept the package!". Like usual, the message we get from these guys is "don't worry, you'll not pay anything, let's wait and see". After a couple of days, DHL contacted me in order to deliver a package agaist a payment of 145€. I refused it and they said it would be destroyed rather than being sent back to the origin. Don't know if it was true, but I don't care!

Part IV
Contacted LITB once more asking for the correct part via the correct shipping method, similar to the one described in PART I. In all of these contacts it's important do say everything as it would be the first time and with pictures, like talking to a six year-old kid, or things can be easily missunderstood. For two times they claimed that they don't send anything via EMS/Normal post, only via DHL. I had to get a bit rude and explain that I paid 73€ as proof of good will and would be expecting some respect, and make them aware that I knew they were lying (they had sent me a couple weeks before a package via EMS!).
One other possibility they mentioned was for me to send the tablet back and they would repair themselves. Of course this would be a "bad move" because I would have to pay customs again when I would receive it back (I would be receiving it like a brand new item)...

Part V
They finally have sent the part via normal post. It took about a month to get it here, but finally I got it!
I have replaced it myself and finally it's working as before. I had bought an advent vega meanwhile and had forgot how bad his Imito was - small and resisitive screen, no market, no flash, and allways acting as it is a phone - searching for mobile network and draining batteries... I'll give it to my wife :)

Final word:
If you brake something in your tablet, open it carefully in advance in order to identify exactly the part you need to replace. Sending pictures is always a good idea, since communication with these chinese retailers is still very difficult.
When asking for a replacement always ask to be sent with a minor declared value (and item description as "spare parts"), and if possible via a non-private carrier (EMS or normal post). It's the best way to get it without costing more than the original item.