Request for How To: Browser

silicaroach

Aug 25, 2010
Preamble: I am a complete Android/mobile newbie. I have a Gentouch 78 with the latest Augen update but not rooted (yet). I have RTF'ed manual, googled, and searched/posted forums.

In another post Swould333 helped me 'discover' the notification bar and how you can make it drop down. Seems obvious? To a total newbie it isn't. The manual doesn't cover that. Plus, after the upgrade, some things disappear (though thankfully others appear eg. calibration). So I thought I'd ask some questions and maybe I could later post the answers as a FAQ or HOW TO? Anyways:

a) launching my browser it comes up in Catalan. I would rather it come up in English. I infer from the manual that Settings ->Local &text is where I should go to set that up. That option does not appear to exist anymore on my tablet. Is there somewhere that I can retrieve it from?

b) how do I set defaults for my browser? esp. homepage, font or is that possible?

teknojnky

Aug 20, 2010
after you have updated to the v3 from augen, you may need to perform a factory default to clear any old configuration and data.

this will of course wipe any apps or data on the device (but not the sdcard)

after the factory default reboots, it should startup with the setup wizard letting you select the language and log into your google account.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Or better yet instead of doing a factory default if you have rooted the device then use CacheMate with PowerClear to scrub all those rooted cache files clean. Still to use CacheMate the unit has to be rooted. Then if you don't have the rooted GT78 then you could do a factory default. Which is basically deleting the accounts.db.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
O
Preamble: I am a complete Android/mobile newbie. I have a Gentouch 78 with the latest Augen update but not rooted (yet). I have RTF'ed manual, googled, and searched/posted forums.

In another post Swould333 helped me 'discover' the notification bar and how you can make it drop down. Seems obvious? To a total newbie it isn't. The manual doesn't cover that. Plus, after the upgrade, some things disappear (though thankfully others appear eg. calibration). So I thought I'd ask some questions and maybe I could later post the answers as a FAQ or HOW TO? Anyways:

a) launching my browser it comes up in Catalan. I would rather it come up in English. I infer from the manual that Settings ->Local &text is where I should go to set that up. That option does not appear to exist anymore on my tablet. Is there somewhere that I can retrieve it from?

b) how do I set defaults for my browser? esp. homepage, font or is that possible?

the language setting are under a heading of "language and keyboard" or at least on my droid.. i don't have my gen with me.. thought i'd stick that out in case they changed it in the new update....

ok after some investigation.... you set the general tablets language and the like under the "locale" menu under "language and keyboard.. but if i'm reading you correctly you're looking for just the browser settings.. correct?

if that's what you're trying to accomplish i believe it's in the browser settings menu... press the menu key on the back.. or the icon in the notification bar that looks like a circle with an arrow pointing down... then the "more" key in the pop up menu.. then the option for "text encoding".. you'll want to select "latin" of course.... there are several other options in the browser seetings menu here including to set the default homepage...

also this is a direct note to anyone that is interested in possibly being able to play limited flash video.. if you're using the web browser Skyfire, you can find it in the market or on a mass download site... you can enter the text "about:debug" in the address bar and it will enable aditional java debugging settings in the browser settings menu..., doing this would enable those added settings.. and one of them is a tab called "UAString".... it gives you the options to mimic either android,desktop or iphone... this is important because the skyfire browser has ability to play SOME flash video when using the Skyfire browser on android2.1 ... setting the "UAString" to "desktop" would help to be able to play additional content...

and you can do the same comand in the default browser to enable similar java debuging settings..... i'm sure someone with more codeing experience than i can appreciatite that more than me finding it just a curiosity...

ok now that i've finished my diatribe... did that help you at all...lol

Last edited:

silicaroach

Aug 25, 2010
Thank you again for the quick reply. I discovered the menu key functionality (but not the circle with arrow) this afternoon during a break. Again, not intuitive ... but I'm starting to get the idea :) I do not have a much choice under locale: just 'English' which is fine ... but curious.

Also found this site this evening which has good info: Home - Augen Gentouch78 For Dummies

Cheers.