Rooted Coby MID1042 Play Store and Amazon App Installed

Rtcrazie-2

Sep 18, 2014
I want to thank Traveller1701 for Index and Root Utility Thread.
Did the root and system dump as described, work as stated. I did not do the Clockwork Mod. I did download the 20120429 Google Apps package. After unzipping Gapps - signed.. to a USB drive, I unplugged charger from tablet, and opened ES File Explorer, under Tools made sure to give Root permission. Restarted tablet, opened ES File Explorer again, attached USB drive. Went to Gapps unzipped folder, opened system/app folder selected all but Gallery, Genie, Quicksearch and GoogleCalendar. Then hit copy, under Local tab, selected / Device, opened system/app folder, hit paste. Allowed superuser, when done copying, unmounted USB, closed ES File Explorer, and restarted again. During boot-up, after the android screen, there was a popup saying updating android. When done connected to Wifi, opened Apps, Clicked Play Store App, Signed in, and checked update automatically. Done--- after all updates, Amazon App Store downloaded and installed successfully first try. Am now enjoying all my Apps now....

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'm curious why you chose to stick with the stock recovery, as your process created far more work for you than was necessary. Installing CWM, then installing the GApps package through the recovery is far simpler than extracting files, bulk copying those files to the appropriate directory, and then setting permissions.

You should have installed CWM. Not only do you get the benefit of knowing that everything will be installed to the correct places, but you also get the benefit of being able to do nandroid backups on the tablet. With the Generation 3 tablets being underpowered for the software, on rare occasions I've had my 9742 spontaneously reset itself to stock, or worse, enter into an irreversible bootloop. The nandroid backup gets me back up and running when I encounter these occasions.

The good news for you is that Google moved most of the apps in the GApps package to the Play Store, so the apps will work properly when updated by the Play Store. Maps is the app most likely to not function correctly if you uninstall the Maps update, as there are support files in the /system/etc and /system/framework directories that the GApps version of Maps requires to function.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Case in point: last week I was testing a new audio amp out in my shed. I used my 9742 as input via the headphone jack, but I got impatient and plugged it in before the tab was completely up and running. Tablet crashed, then bootlooped. With a stock recovery it would have been a lot of work, if possible at all, to restore it. Since I had CWM (Vampirefo's upright recovery for 9742) It was just a few button-clicks and about 15 minutes; back to where it was a couple weeks ago when I last shot a nandroid. As far as I'm concerned, a custom recovery is not optional, it's a necessary precaution. Don't jump out of an airplane without a spare parachute!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Especially with Coby being out of business. With Coby gone there is no support except what is here. Installing CWM should be a foregone conclusion.

Rtcrazie-2

Sep 18, 2014
I will try the CWM again, it did work on another 1042. Just didn't take on new one.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Follow Traveller1701's guide, do your dump first, you should have no problems. It's a warm fuzzy to have that nandroid backup handy even if you never use it. With my experience with Coby, you probably will.