Rooted Nook Color alternative keyboards

dom

Jan 17, 2011
Has anyone been successful in getting gingerbread keyboard (or any other keyboard) to work on a rooted NOOK COLOR.
I've used Absolute System Root Tools (i was not able to purchase the UK Root Explorer). It allowed me to view and change properties, which i did according to another post. I rebooted but when I choose 'gingerbread keyboard' no keyboard at all pops up.
Maybe i am wasting time trying if it is not possible.
Thanks again for any insights
Dom

chad7472

Mar 17, 2011
Has anyone been successful in getting gingerbread keyboard (or any other keyboard) to work on a rooted NOOK COLOR.
I've used Absolute System Root Tools (i was not able to purchase the UK Root Explorer). It allowed me to view and change properties, which i did according to another post. I rebooted but when I choose 'gingerbread keyboard' no keyboard at all pops up.
Maybe i am wasting time trying if it is not possible.
Thanks again for any insights
Dom

I am in the same boat as you. I was hoping to install a Slider/SWYPE keyboard to make my QuickOffice documents go faster but have had no luck whatsoever. Anyone who has had some luck would be a savior.

Thanks,

Chad

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Here is the fix to the Gingerbread keyboard http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-keyboard-rooted-nc-b-n-versions-only.html. Actaully what I did was find the download of the apk and clicked to download from Dolphin browser on the nook. It then said I already had a copy and asked me if I wanted to run or replace. I chose run and that solved the problem without having to navigate to the file with a file application.

Other keyboards have had varying degrees of success for installation.

chad7472

Mar 17, 2011
I followed these instructions from another thread (see instructions in quote below), and it worked for me. Some instructions tell you that you have to install ADB (NookColor Replace the Default Keyboard - nookDevs), but that (for me) was unnecessary. Here's what worked. I now have the Gingerbread Keyboard, Better Keyboard, and most importantly - Slide IT Keyboard (makes creating all those QuickOffice documents so much faster on my NC) all working perfectly.

It doesn't work off the bat with the autonooter, i think it comes with aa broken API.

I had to fix this by hand.

Here is what i did.
1) Search XDA for instructions and the correct package. (You can skip this step)
2) Buy "Root Explorer" a must have thx SCION.
3) Install the APK.
4) it will be placed in the /data/app directory. Move the installed app "net.thinkdifferent.inputmethod.Latin.apk" to the /system/app. Directory
5) change permission to 644 or in root explore. User has read/write, the rest have read.
6) restart system.

Note in step 4 you will have to make the file system read/write to copy the file to the system. It is easy to do with root explorer.
Last edited by =X=; 01-22-2011 at 09:22 AM.

I hope this helps if you haven't come across those instructions yet.

Thanks,

Chad