Rooting the 7022 and wifi tethering

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hi jpauley Is the method you put up on tethering the only way to do it so far on the 7022?

If it's an ad-hoc network, then yes. But not all tethering use ad-hoc networks, for example tethering from iPhone iOS4.x works as well as using Connectify from PC.

afterlife2

Sep 24, 2011
I guess I'll have to do some reading on tethering, but once it's done does it mean if I'm out and about with my Coby 7022 I can get free WI-FI basically anywhere? Sorry for my Naivete on this. :(

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I guess I'll have to do some reading on tethering, but once it's done does it mean if I'm out and about with my Coby 7022 I can get free WI-FI basically anywhere? Sorry for my Naivete on this. :(
I can't give you a definitive answer because I haven't tried using ad-hoc yet. What I know is that it's not available in the stock firmware (at least not in Froyo), you can enable it, but from what I have seen so far, if you do it may cause problems with "normal" WiFi, so you have to keep 2 versions of the file and enable them accordingly to your needs.

afterlife2

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks IFom What about the app EasyTether? Would it work too on the coby 7022?

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks IFom What about the app EasyTether? Would it work too on the coby 7022?

From what I saw in Market, EasyTether is a program used in Android phones to share its connection with a computer using USB, it's not the same thing we are discussing here... :(

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
ok ive got them to both connect ok without renaming any files but my question is i want the tablet to try to search for home wifi first before trying to conenct to my phone. the way this is set up in these directions it searches for phone first then after a few seconds when the tether is not on it will recan for the home wifi. id like to check for home first but no matter how i move settings around and prioritys it wont work, if i list home network first it wont connect to my phone it just shows not in range. any ideas?

MCA

Oct 1, 2011
Hi jpauley! I'm new to the tablet market and was happy to find your instructions. I try to copy to the KYROS7022-8K-recovery.....to my microssd car and I get a message that the file doesn't exist. Has the link been removed? I've had my 7022 for a few weeks now and trying to figure out how to root, do backups, etc. and my head is spinning with all the information! Can you help me? Thanks!

Here is how I completed the rooting:
  1. Make sure you have a micro SD card installed in the microSD slot of you tablet.

Download dump-recovery-signed.zip from http://androtab.info/files/telechips/dump-recovery/dump-recovery-signed.zip and KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip from http://androtab.info/files/telechips/cm7/20110821/KYROS7022-8K/KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip and su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip from Superuser to your home PC
  2. Connect your tablet to you home pc using the cable that came with your tablet and select “Turn on USB storage”
  3. You will now have 2 new removable disks on your home pc. The external SD card is the higher one.
  4. Copy dump-recovery-signed.zip as update.zip to the external SD card
  5. Select “Turn off USB storage” on your tablet and disconnect the usb cable
  6. On your tablet go to settings/About device/System updates/Install system update and select from SD card àStock recovery will be dumped as dumped_recovery.img and /proc/mtd will be copied as dumped_proc_mtd.txt on top(root) of SD card. Keep them in safe place.
  7. Once your tablet has completed the steps above Connect your tablet to you home pc using the cable that came with your tablet and select “Turn on USB storage” again.
  8. Copy KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip as update.zip and su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip to the external SD card
  9. Select “Turn off USB storage” on your tablet and disconnect the usb cable
  10. On your tablet go to settings/About device/System updates/Install system update and select from SD card.
  11. Once your tablet has completed the steps above you will now have clockwork Mod Recovery 4
  12. We will now create a backup of your existing tablet and install super user.
  13. Boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery 4 by doing the following:
  14. Power off you tablet
  15. Hold the silver back button and the power button until you see the clockwork mod recover message.
The keys are used as follows Menu=move, Home=select and back=back
  1. Use the move key to go down to backup and restore and press home
  2. Press Home to complete your backup, this will take a few minutes.
  3. Press menu to go down to Install zip from SD card and then press Home
  4. Press home on “choose zip from sdcard”
  5. Press menu until you select su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and press home
  6. On the main menu press home on reboot system now
  7. You now have super user and it gives you a root access

MCA

Oct 1, 2011
Hi again! I found a few downloads that worked and then I followed your instructions. I have ClockworkMod and backed up and installed super user. Thank you!

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
ok ive got them to both connect ok without renaming any files but my question is i want the tablet to try to search for home wifi first before trying to conenct to my phone. the way this is set up in these directions it searches for phone first then after a few seconds when the tether is not on it will recan for the home wifi. id like to check for home first but no matter how i move settings around and prioritys it wont work, if i list home network first it wont connect to my phone it just shows not in range. any ideas?

I wanted to do the same but never could get it to work. You can click on your home network if you do not want to wait.

Cavefrog

May 19, 2011
If your phone is rooted, install this on it.
Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
The latest version supports infrastructure as well as ad hoc networking and is picked up fine by the Coby's. Netd(master) mode is the one I'm using. It's still in beta and reboots my phone when untethering. Since it's not an officially supported phone, I can live with that :)

maybe thats why i was so confused with the term put the update zip over the root of the sd card, i wasnt sure if they were talking about the internal sd card or a external one

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
If your phone is rooted, install this on it.
Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
The latest version supports infrastructure as well as ad hoc networking and is picked up fine by the Coby's. Netd(master) mode is the one I'm using. It's still in beta and reboots my phone when untethering. Since it's not an officially supported phone, I can live with that :)

This depends on the phone that you have. I am using an older rooted droid Eris and know that only certain wireless Tether programs will work for this decice.

afterlife2

Sep 24, 2011