Rooting the Pocketbook IQ (need help, no USB Debugging)

Icewyng

Dec 11, 2010
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

I am trying to root my Pocketbook IQ and have done a lot of reading lately and still cannot figure out how to try to root it.

First, I have installed ADB and Eclipse on computer (which runs Linux Mint 64-bit) and I am able to issue commands to the emulator. Also, I have created the rules files for USB under the etc/udev/rules.d/ .

Now, the Applications/Development/Usb debugging option is missing from my Android device. I see there is a DevTools icon and that you can use set a debug tool but there are none in there.

I see the device with lsusb (18d1) but I cannot communicate with it.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about rooting it?

Thanks,

Icewyng

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Specs look similar to Pandigital? Check with that first.

Then maybe look up exploid on xda

Something like this:
Root for X10 mini (pro) | android.doshaska.net

Get a terminal emulator:
Download Better Terminal Emulator Magic 1.5 for Android Free - Gain access to the Linux internals of your Android device using Better Terminal Emulator Magic. - Softpedia

You need to transfer the files to your device and attempt to execute the script on the device itself.

To achieve permanent root after you get a root shell, you need to push the su binary (checking the permissions), as well as Superuser.apk

Icewyng

Dec 11, 2010
Specs look similar to Pandigital? Check with that first.

Then maybe look up exploid on xda

Something like this:
Root for X10 mini (pro) | android.doshaska.net

Get a terminal emulator:
Download Better Terminal Emulator Magic 1.5 for Android Free - Gain access to the Linux internals of your Android device using Better Terminal Emulator Magic. - Softpedia

You need to transfer the files to your device and attempt to execute the script on the device itself.

To achieve permanent root after you get a root shell, you need to push the su binary (checking the permissions), as well as Superuser.apk

I will have to look into those.

Do you think it would be possible, since it is the same hardware, to flash my IQ with one of the White PDN software?

The biggest barrier right now is really not having USB debugging and not being able to use ADB.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I would not just use the firmware from another device until I can backup my current firmware.

tsvamp

Feb 22, 2011
I gave my dad this tab for Christmas there is no need to root as it gives you root access out of the box. To remove annoying apps all I had to do was load root uninstaller on it and I was good to go.