[Rumor] Apple Forces Supplier (Pegatron) to Dump Asus' Ultrabooks Production

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
asus-ux31-zenbook-ultrabook-and-macbook-air.jpg

Here's a story that is not directly Android related, but we knew that many of our users would want to know about this story, and it seemed like a great opportunity to share our new sister-site: UltrabookForum.net. If this rumor turns out to be true, Apple has now sunk to a new low. Apparently, there are some insider sources that are saying Apple went to their primary supplier (the company Pegatron) of Apple Macbook Air products, and gave them an ultimatum. Supposedly, Apple told Pegatron that they would either have to dump Asus' new Zenbook ultrabooks or they would lose Apple as a customer for the Macbook Air and more. Pegatron has since complied with that demand from Apple.

The insider source further elaborated that Apple is irritated that the Asus Zenbook looks similar to their Macbook Air. It would seem that instead of trying to fight that particular battle in the courts like they do with smartphones and tablets, Apple decided to use gestapo strong-arm tactics with their partners. Pegatron won some iPhone contracts last year, and are trying to coax Apple into some iPad 3 contacts as well, so its not surprising that they opted to fold to Apple's demands and dump Asus. At the end of March, Asus Zenbook production will likely cease at Pegatron and continue at their competitors Compal or Wistron. Interestingly, Asus actually knows about this and is supposedly staying low-key about it, in an effort to be "flexible" with their supply chain. That seems rather magnanimous of them, but perhaps the issue isn't as big of a deal for them as the media might make it out to be.

Assuming that these rumors are accurate, this situation brings up a few obvious questions. One, if this strong-arm route continues to be useful for Apple, will they start to pull the same thing with other supply chain manufacturers? Two, if they do... could a backlash from their own manufacturers be very far behind, and/or could they eventually open themselves up for an international anti-competitive lawsuit?

Finally, when you look at the two ultrabooks together, you might scratch your head and wonder why Apple thinks it looks too similar to their product. So, just because it is thin, light, and metallic that makes it too similar? Share your thoughts.

If you are interested in ultrabooks, check out our sister-site @ UltrabookForum.net

Source: UltrabookForums.net via SlashGear
Image Source: Pocket-Lint.com

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
haha, apple is being pushed from all directions. but i have to admit, those laptops are nearly identical

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
haha, apple is being pushed from all directions. but i have to admit, those laptops are nearly identical

You wanna know something funny though? That's what they look like from one angle. Here's what they look like from another:

asus-ux31-zenbook-ultrabook-and-macbook-air-2.jpg

This is another picture from the same source of the previous pic. I doubt that anyone could confuse these products with one another in an actual store. Kinda puts things "in perspective" when you change the perspective, huh? Just food for thought. :)

J

jimbo7630

The layout of the sockets in the first picture are totally dissimilar.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
So it would seem that Apple is the Microsoft of the 21st century, from an 800 lb gorilla standpoint.
Every time a computer appears on TV, film, etc, it seems to sport the fruity logo. How come?

Microsoft has been rather subdued, compared to their 90's World Dominance days.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Apple is sinking to a new level of it's bully tactics. Not only dose apple look the other way when it comes to worker rights, but they also want to bully their competition too. What they really need to be doing is developing new innovative products and looking after workers rights, if they are to preserve and enhance their market share and reputation. Right now they are at an all time low, in my book.....

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
Apple is sinking to a new level of it's bully tactics. Not only dose apple look the other way when it comes to worker rights, but they also want to bully their competition too. What they really need to be doing is developing new innovative products and looking after workers rights, if they are to preserve and enhance their market share and reputation. Right now they are at an all time low, in my book.....

I think this is a typical behavior from a company that dominates a certain part of the market. Instead of just innovation, their simplest route is to protect what they have and unfortunately its too easy for them to bully. Not the first company to do it and defo not the last

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
I think this is a typical behavior from a company that dominates a certain part of the market. Instead of just innovation, their simplest route is to protect what they have and unfortunately its too easy for them to bully. Not the first company to do it and defo not the last

Sad but true.