Safely removing from computer

mtwd

Apr 27, 2011
I connect my Galaxy tab to the computer as a mass storage device, when I attempt to remove it, I get a message saying Windows is unable to stop the device. I have checked the running processes and services and nothing should be holding on to it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be fixed?

jbjtkbw00

May 2, 2011
On the tablet itself, you should mount and unmount from there. This guarantees you stop the tablet from communicating with the pc and you can just unplug from the computer at that point. When I perform this function, I don't even get the option to remove from my system tray. The option to mount as a USB mass storage device appears on my tablet as soon as I connect it to the pc and after I select mass storage, it gives me the mounting option.

piercer

May 2, 2011
It is actually a lot better if you disconnect your tab using the unmount button on the mass storage user interface. In this case, it is more advisable to make sure that your device disconnects from the computer and not the other way around. If you are not that confident with this, you can try connecting using Kies but that permits for really slow transfer rates.

mtwd

Apr 27, 2011
I do mount and unmount from the device, the instructions however say turn it off on the PC before unmounting. This works fine for my SE Xperia but not my Galaxy. I may just get one of those micro SD card readers and remove the SD card to transfer files, that way I know I'm not going to lose any data by not safely removing the device.