Setting up dual boot.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
I can't seem to find a step-by-step procedure to get my NC to dual boot w/CM7 on SD card & Manual-Nootered 4.5.18 (1.2) on eMMC. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
I am currently using CM7 via size-agnostic SD card setup. Can I use this existing image & add the dual boot capability, or do I have to start from scratch with a new image?

Thanks for your understanding. I really did search for this answer.
redface.gif

kev

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
bugeyed,

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You currently have CM7 on bootable SD and rooted 1.2 on eMMC and want to instead make eMMC dual boot with both CM7 and rooted 1.2 is that correct? In that case the link bike2002 provided should help.

If you are trying to create a dual boot SD card I am not sure that is possible given the way the boot process works on the nook.

JP

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
bugeyed,

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You currently have CM7 on bootable SD and rooted 1.2 on eMMC and want to instead make eMMC dual boot with both CM7 and rooted 1.2 is that correct? In that case the link bike2002 provided should help.

If you are trying to create a dual boot SD card I am not sure that is possible given the way the boot process works on the nook.

JP
You are correct about my current config. & I would like to do a dual boot with this config. I will explore my options with this in mind. Maybe you are correct & it's not possible. May be why I am having trouble finding instructions. :eek:

Thanks,
kev

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
As far as I know you can dual boot with both CM7 and rooted 1.2. It will be the same as now you just won't have to mess with the SD card to do it.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for all the responses. I may not have been clear on what I want to do. Let me try again.
I would like to be able to boot my NC & choose whether I want to run CM7 from the SD card, or rooted 1.2 on eMMC. I am not ready to do away with the B&N OS, as there are a few things that frankly work better, like the Nook reader (I have trouble finding side-loaded books). I am sure it won't be long before I install a custom ROM on eMMC, but am waiting for a new "stable" release. Strange, but there have been 15 Nightlies since the last "stable". Haven't been keeping up with what is happening there. Did a bunch of stuff get broken? Anyway, I would just like to not have to pop out the SD card to boot into B&N. I have been able to keep the SD card in the slot & close the door & keep it from falling out when in the case, but that's not really safe.

Cheers,
kev

bike2002

May 5, 2011
If I understand you correctly, you want a hack to the power-on/boot/re-boot process to allow you to select to boot from the microSD or from emmc.
Sounds like a good project for the xda team.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
If I understand you correctly, you want a hack to the power-on/boot/re-boot process to allow you to select to boot from the microSD or from emmc.
Sounds like a good project for the xda team.
Well, I guess so. I would not want to enable anything that interrupts the normal boot order in case it breaks something & makes the NC brickable. Since the NC tries to boot from the SD card first I was thinking maybe I could boot into recovery & then allow booting from the eMMC. I am probably showing my ignorance about how Android works, but initially I thought people were doing this & I just wasn't finding the right info to git-er-dun.
Oh well, as CM7 improves it is less likely that I will want to use B&N ROM anyway.
Thanks,
kev