Shopping for Tablet...

CRC268

Jun 7, 2012
Alright so I am going to get my dad a tablet for Father's Day and would like to get some feedback from you guys:

Here is what I am looking for:

4G would be nice but WiFi is certainly fine
Android 4.0 is nice or at least something that will be receiving Android 4.0
HD Screen or close to it
Fast, Quality Processor and good amount of RAM - Dual Core or Quad Core :)
Bluetooth
USB port is always nice (if they make tablets with them)

I will add to this list if I think of more

I know he was talking about the smaller Galaxy Tab, but it just seems too small, when it comes down to it he just doesn't want to spend the money on the larger tablets

Possibilities:

iPad 3 - I am an Android guy myself and have a lot of experience with rooting, modding, tweaking Android phones (iPad is quite a bit more than I want to pay too)
Samsung Galaxy Tab

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum CRC

Your requests are just vague enough to give you a ton of possibilities. ;) j/k

Being that I'm 66 I personally can't get much from anything smaller than 10" but that's me and my old eyes, but something to think about. Samsung does make quite a variety of pretty nice tablets. (The iPad is good for someone who doesn't want or need to customize anything so it might be OK for your Dad but you wouldn't have much fun). I suggest imo that you stick with picking a Samsung or ASUS, (they have a very popular TF300T that does not have USB on the tab but does have microSD and if you ever decide on the keyboard/dock it has a full size USB and SD card. Toshiba makes a few nice ones as does Acer.

At the moment the ASUS tablets all have 4.0.3 ICS and some value added like backup without a root and a few other things. (in case you hadn't guessed I'm a little partial but I do know a lot of tablet owners being that I'm in the computer business, so I can be).

You may need to find a store that has a good tablet selection and get hands on to see what suites you and what you think your Dad would like.

CRC268

Jun 7, 2012
Welcome to the forum CRC

Your requests are just vague enough to give you a ton of possibilities. ;) j/k

Being that I'm 66 I personally can't get much from anything smaller than 10" but that's me and my old eyes, but something to think about. Samsung does make quite a variety of pretty nice tablets. (The iPad is good for someone who doesn't want or need to customize anything so it might be OK for your Dad but you wouldn't have much fun). I suggest imo that you stick with picking a Samsung or ASUS, (they have a very popular TF300T that does not have USB on the tab but does have microSD and if you ever decide on the keyboard/dock it has a full size USB and SD card. Toshiba makes a few nice ones as does Acer.

At the moment the ASUS tablets all have 4.0.3 ICS and some value added like backup without a root and a few other things. (in case you hadn't guessed I'm a little partial but I do know a lot of tablet owners being that I'm in the computer business, so I can be).

You may need to find a store that has a good tablet selection and get hands on to see what suites you and what you think your Dad would like.

I like the Asus TF300T, I have been looking at that as well, thanks for the info! What are some other tablets in that price range and lower?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I like the Asus TF300T, I have been looking at that as well, thanks for the info! What are some other tablets in that price range and lower?

This forum has vendors selling tablets that are far lower in price than the TF300T but of the main stream tablets with 1280*800 HD, at 10" that $379 US is pretty hard to beat. Then there is the option for the dock and an additional 6 hours or so of run time as an option.

Toshiba has some nice tabs I didn't mention. If you have a Fry's store near you they have the biggest selection of tablets I've seen anywhere that you can actually put your hands on, at least the one near me in Atlanta does.

CRC268

Jun 7, 2012
This forum has vendors selling tablets that are far lower in price than the TF300T but of the main stream tablets with 1280*800 HD, at 10" that $379 US is pretty hard to beat. Then there is the option for the dock and an additional 6 hours or so of run time as an option.

Toshiba has some nice tabs I didn't mention. If you have a Fry's store near you they have the biggest selection of tablets I've seen anywhere that you can actually put your hands on, at least the one near me in Atlanta does.

Alright well maybe I will go with that Asus and yea we got a Fry's Electronics here...little far away but not too bad

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Alright so I am going to get my dad a tablet for Father's Day and would like to get some feedback from you guys:

HD Screen or close to it
Bluetooth

I know he was talking about the smaller Galaxy Tab, but it just seems too small, when it comes down to it he just doesn't want to spend the money on the larger tablets

Possibilities:

iPad 3 - I am an Android guy myself and have a lot of experience with rooting, modding, tweaking Android phones (iPad is quite a bit more than I want to pay too)
Samsung Galaxy Tab

Hi CRC268, welcome to the forum,
Based on your requirements, i would recommend the Cube U30GT for you, it's comes with RK3066 dual core, High resolution(1280 x 800px) IPS screen, android 4.0.4, Dual camera, Built-in bluetooth... i think it will be a good present for Father's Day. Good luck! :)

CRC268

Jun 7, 2012
Hi CRC268, welcome to the forum,
Based on your requirements, i would recommend the Cube U30GT for you, it's comes with RK3066 dual core, High resolution(1280 x 800px) IPS screen, android 4.0.4, Dual camera, Built-in bluetooth... i think it will be a good present for Father's Day. Good luck! :)

I have seen this around...but never heard of the brand...I plan on rooting the tablet whatever it may be. I would probably be more comfortable with a "mainstream" device that I am familiar with like Asus though

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011

HD Screen or close to it
Bluetooth

Possibilities:

Samsung Galaxy Tab

hi there, this tab is making waves in the chinese tablet markets. its high specs for the money are hard to beat. cube is a well known brand in china & sell many tablets abroad. it has dual-core cpu bluetooth hi-res ips capacitive screen & plenty of memory.
i'm not sure but many chinese tabs come pre-rooted. hers is a link to a supporting vendor on this forum with a good reputation for service & quality tabs. i have bought from them myself & have had no problems at all with them. they may be able to tell you if its rooted or not. well worth checking out as they offer several shipping options including free shipping or dhl if you want a speedier delivery.

Cube U30GT Dual Core Tablet PC RK3066 Android 4.0 10.1inch Cube U30GT Dual Core Tablet PC RK3066 Android 4.0 10.1inch [UT30D] - $269.99 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electronics Goods