Should i buy the 10-inch iRobot APad running on 1.6?

gleonard

Nov 11, 2010
hi guys im new here. currently in shanghai, and came across this 10-inch irobot apad. rather tempting, considering it's going for about US$180. however, it's running on android 1.6, and i know froyo has been out and about for a while. im not too sure if this version can be updated, and hence is seeking some advice from you dudes here. hope i can get a reply soon cos im flying home next week!!

gleonard

Nov 11, 2010
hmm. but can it be upgraded to 2.2? any rom that i can upgrade the machine to? i don't mind some DIY.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i would say it is likely the hardware is older generation (that's why it runs android 1.6) so good possibility it will not run newer android version

hmm. but can it be upgraded to 2.2? any rom that i can upgrade the machine to? i don't mind some DIY.

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
hi guys im new here. currently in shanghai, and came across this 10-inch irobot apad. rather tempting, considering it's going for about US$180. however, it's running on android 1.6, and i know froyo has been out and about for a while. im not too sure if this version can be updated, and hence is seeking some advice from you dudes here. hope i can get a reply soon cos im flying home next week!!

for that price you should be able to get the zenithink zt-180 running android 2.1. you can try the PC Mall: 721 ZhangYang Road there is also another similar setup across the street they are near i believe the metro line 2 century avenue station. or go to the stores at the shanghai science and technology museum.

gleonard

Nov 11, 2010
thanks to hoben02, i got the zenith epad 10.2 inch from pcmall! and folks, it costs only 1200RMB, so don't pay anything more than that. also, ask for a free screen protector!

ok. now that i got the tablet, does anyone know what i should do next? it came with a rooted android 2.1 running on update 20101012 and the kernel version is 2.6.32.9 usbandroid#1608. is there a newer firmware i can upgrade to? oh, the build number is 1000ET-eng 2.1-update 20101012.

thanks people! you guys rock!!!

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
uhhh- i would think you know what you want it for before you buy it :) i would suggest download apps from the market - depends on what you like to do - for me i downloaded widgets for a variety of news sites such as new scientist, huffingtonpost, usatoday and cnet, downloaded nook - installed truphone to make phone calls and facebook and twitter.

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
out of curiousity did you try getting them to go lower. anyways sounds like you have android market preinstalled on that version

gleonard

Nov 11, 2010
sorry for the slow reply! was back to work, so had little time to check the forum.

yes, marketplace is preinstalled and it works fine. the default launcher is ADW. funnily, the screen doesn't turn off in standby mode. i can still see the time and status bar. is there anyway to get it off completely?

as for pricing, i tried to push for 1000RMB, but the shopowner didn't relent. 100RMB for me is about 15USD, so that's not a lot. And, it's rooted and all so i'm happy to pay for it.

is there a newer firmware?