Should I get a tablet?

Weapondrift

Mar 26, 2011
Im kind of up in the air on buying a tablet. I already own a HTC Incredible running CM7 RC2 so I am very familier with Android but Im still sceptical. On one hand I want a tablet to use when Im away from home. But everything I can do on the tablet I can do on my phone. I really dont want to buy a tablet just so I can watch Netflix or Hulu. Simply because Id be spending +400$ to do something I could easily do with my phone. On the other hand, I rarely use my laptop at home and when I do use it, depending on how technical I get it will work or choose not to. (for instance it wouldnt let me root my Incredible, so I had to use someone elses computer) Would a tablet be a good replacement? Finally, id like to stay within the 400$ range and Im eyeing the Asus but Im concerned about weight. I know the Xoom has some heft to it similar to that of an ipod. Id like to have something in that weight range if possible. Battery life I can deal with since I can replace the kernel easily.

jpfx

Dec 26, 2010
I would say don't bother based on your comments. You would benefit from a PC that would allow you to install the android SDK and indulge in the more esoteric and often dangerouse hacks. It's probably a configuration issue that is preventing your laptop from doing this ATM. Also if you think the Xoom is hefty then they will all be heavier than you'd like unless you go 8.9 or 7 inch.
There is however a certain amount of comfort involved in doing the stuff you can do with your phone on a tablet; more real estate, less scrolling around of web pages, etc. Certain tasks, reading books for instance are easier. There's a lot of examples like that.
Having the same apps and setup on both phone and tablet make it easier to put the phone down, sit down and grab the tablet.
In three words 'Ease of use', if that is worth it to you is something to consider.

Mar 8, 2011
My first Android device was the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Being 7", this fits easily in a coat pocket (it helps to wear a coat in England) - and also in my trousers pocket when I am out and about. So I always have it with me, like a phone.

The tablet is much more relaxing to use than my phone (recently upgraded from Nokia N900 to Google/Samsung Nexus S), with a higher resolution screen (1024x600 vs 800x480) and bigger soft keyboard.

Tablet advantages: bigger screen, more pixels, easier keyboard, longer battery life, faster memory, 2 year old daughter prefers it.

Phone advantages: fits in shirt pocket, better word suggestions on keyboard, better camera, 5 year old daughter prefers it.

FWIW, I'm looking to upgrade both later this year to the following:
Tablet - dual core A9 with NEON, (either 7" or 10"), with a better camera
Phone - dual core A9 with NEON

Last edited: