Should We Abandon Google Voice For Hangouts?

Music

Feb 5, 2011
My tablet with Android 5 has both hangouts and Google Voice. Hangouts has a capability for video calls, and a layout that is a little more indicative of who said what.

But when you look at the Hangouts screen, there is a little description under a text message that says something like "Thu 10:15 AM via Google Voice". Which is doing the actual work? It makes you think that you could uninstall Google Voice and just have Hangouts handle all the text & video communications?

jackharvest

Jul 20, 2012
I would love to abandon Google Voice, but google hangouts makes is VERY difficult (if not impossible) to search through previous history of texts. There is no search function, and when you utilize google voice for your business, and a client from 4 weeks ago texts you again, you need to be able to search back -- and only Google Voice allows this right now.

Another gripe, is I haven't found a way to (on the PC version) search for a person in your contacts [by name], select them, and then CHOOSE sms instead of a hangout message.

*sigh*. Guess I'll continue to use both.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Onne thing you might need to bout Hangouts is that you can get it to SMS only mode for messages you send to people that have simpler devices. Otherwise, it sends in MMS mode, which looks all screwy on the older devices (little boxes and weird symbols.)