Skype Video Call: Where are we exactly?

mlvalente

Jan 5, 2012
It works, but you can only rotate the camera BEFORE the other party answers the call..... Once the video call is connected, the option goes away. Silly, but there you have it. Works in both orientations.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

It works even after the video call is on. Just tap on the bottom of the video image and then a menu tab shows up.
On the right side you'll have the video icon. Click on it and you'll be able to turn off your video or rotate your video image.
Continue clicking the rotate button until your image becomes OK. Works like a charm.

Klingercrazy

Dec 7, 2011
Sign in -> go to "menu" -> "settings" -> scroll down to "video calls" -> check box next to "enable rotation & zoom" - works on newest skype version 2.6.0.95

vtabuser

Jan 20, 2012
OK I think I have this figured this out, as the rotate and zoom option was not showing up for me either. I went into application settings, forced closed skype, cleared cache, and cleared data. After that I launched skype, signed in, and when it told me my device was not yet supported and asked me if I wanted to enable video calling, I hit cancel. I then went into skpes settings to enable video calling, and to option was there! Hope this helps.

southsound

Dec 3, 2011
Excellent! This works. Awesome considering this and the sister post in the other Skype thread are your first posts. I can't wait to see what other gems you will pass on to a hungry audience. Thank you.

vtabuser

Jan 20, 2012
Excellent! This works. Awesome considering this and the sister post in the other Skype thread are your first posts. I can't wait to see what other gems you will pass on to a hungry audience. Thank you.

No problem at all, just had some free time on my hands and that was an issue that was bugging me. I hope when they roll out the next update with honeycomb they will fix some of the bugs with this thing like the code search not working right in the remote app. All in all I have been really happy with this tab for what I paid for it, especially considering I used to drink the Apple flavored kool-aid(This is my first experience with an android device). When my Iphone 4 dies it will most likely be replaced by something running android.

stevation

Feb 17, 2012
OK I think I have this figured this out, as the rotate and zoom option was not showing up for me either. I went into application settings, forced closed skype, cleared cache, and cleared data. After that I launched skype, signed in, and when it told me my device was not yet supported and asked me if I wanted to enable video calling, I hit cancel. I then went into skpes settings to enable video calling, and to option was there! Hope this helps.

I did as you described above, and I was able to enable rotating and zooming, but I can't figure out how to make the image rotate? It automatically rotates as I turn the tablet, but there isn't any menu item that allows me to rotate either the incoming or outgoing video. I'm using Skype 2.7.0.907. I'm new to Android, so perhaps there's some gesture to rotate the screen that I don't know about?

Last edited:

dannyd88

Dec 17, 2011
When you start a video call there should be a little video camera icon. I think it's on the bottom right. You have to touch it before your call is picked up. It will give you the option to rotate screen. I don't remember exactly because once you get it to fit correctly the first time the setting gets saved and you don't have to do it again.
So yeah, thanks so much for the tip OP. Worked perfect for me. Can't believe I'm doing free wireless video chat on this inexpensive little tablet. I find something new to do with this vtab every day. Love it.

stevation

Feb 17, 2012
Thanks Danny, but it's not there. I've tried doing it while a call is ringing. I can only see the regular camera icon on the bottom left that chooses which camera (but of course this device only has a front camera, so the button doesn't do anything else). Was it a different camera icon than that one? Do I have to figure out how to get the older app before they released the newest version? I have 2.7.0.907, which I downloaded today, and I think it's a brand new release. What version do you have?

stevation

Feb 17, 2012
Awesome, I just fixed it! I had to go find the previous version of the Skype app -- I downloaded 2.6.0.95, and now it works. Apparently, they released the new version yesterday, and they broke this feature, at least for the VTAB. I was a little nervous downloading the earlier version from a site that I didn't know if I could trust, but it worked.