Lepan TC970 and video calls

kamora187

Dec 7, 2011
hello,
I am new to the site and was not able to find any info on video calls with the TC970, I see mention of people doing it but I have tried and cannot get it to work with skype, oovoo or Tango. I have upgraded the firmware and still nothing. When I attempt a video call the audio is a total mess just loud noises and no voices as all just sounds like feedback. There is zero video when attempting the call. I have tried this on two different TC970s as I also purchased one for my parents and the same exact thing happens. I was hoping someone out there might have some ideas as to getting this to work, do I need another app for this or is there a setting that needs to be adjusted? I have tested this on both of my networks, (6mb and 12mb) so network should not be an option, and skype on my pc works great on both nets. Is this working for anyone?

Thank you!

Travis

ion54

Nov 22, 2011
hello,
I am new to the site and was not able to find any info on video calls with the TC970, I see mention of people doing it but I have tried and cannot get it to work with skype, oovoo or Tango. I have upgraded the firmware and still nothing. When I attempt a video call the audio is a total mess just loud noises and no voices as all just sounds like feedback. There is zero video when attempting the call. I have tried this on two different TC970s as I also purchased one for my parents and the same exact thing happens. I was hoping someone out there might have some ideas as to getting this to work, do I need another app for this or is there a setting that needs to be adjusted? I have tested this on both of my networks, (6mb and 12mb) so network should not be an option, and skype on my pc works great on both nets. Is this working for anyone?

Thank you!

Travis

Travis,

Check for skype for Froyo. I know there is a version that works on TC970, with video. Go to XDA-develpers forums and do a search for Le Pan TC970 and read the posts.

Dec 8, 2011
I like everything else about my Lepan Tablet, but this is very disappointing. Why have the camera if you can't use it??? I had hoped to keep in touch with my family via video conferencing, which was the primary reason to buy the tablets. I'll probably keep them anyway, other than this problem they can do everything my friends IPAD can do and for 1/3 the cost. I got 4 lepan tablets for about the price of 1 high end IPAD2. They should make nice christmas presents.

To Le Pan Inc, if you are listening: It would be worth tons of good will to your customers to put one of your software engineers on this problem. All that is needed is a fix to allow this functionality. I'll bet if you sent one Software engineer to Tango or Fring or Skype for 2 weeks they could bang out a bandaid solution before christmas eve. If it helps I'll pay $25 per tablet for the patch, and I'll bet most users would too.

kamora187

Dec 7, 2011
ion54, Thanks I will check that out.
LepanTabletUser, I agree completely! that was the main reason that I purchased 2 of them, to video call with my parents so they could chat with the grandkids. I have heard of people doing it but I am starting to wonder if that was a black ops marketing ploy by Lepan? Other than that issue it is a great tablet!

Thanks,
Travis

Dec 8, 2011
Success! well mostly. I got it to work with Tango between two TC970 tablets and between a tablet and my PC. The downside is the video is not spectacular and the audio has this horrible feedback. The Mic is obviously hearing the speakers. I will try again using headphones and see if it works better. One note about tango: if you signup under your phone number on your desktop and then on your tablet, it will complain that you are not who you say you are. Just sign up directly on the tablet, use a different phone number for the PC.

derekjlucas

Dec 7, 2011
I raised Skype Video support with Le Pan product support and they responded very quickly with the following - I plan to try it out soon.

"The official version of Skype that is released on the Android market does not support the TC970. However there is a tweaked version made by an independent developer that supports a front facing camera.
xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] Skype Video for Froyo (and GB)
Make sure you enable "Use preview surface" under the tweaks menu.
It is a little glitchy on first establishing the video call, but if you fiddle with it, by pushing on the screen, and hitting the back button, it clears up."

I have been using Skype without video and I do find that there is feedback. If you use a headset it works fine.

Last edited:

kamora187

Dec 7, 2011
I got the same note,
No problem installing it but I do not see a tweaks menu anywhere??? I have yet to test but will let you know what I find, if you found the tweaks menu let me know where?
Thanks,
Travis

I raised Skype Video support with Le Pan product support and they responded very quickly with the following - I plan to try it out soon.

"The official version of Skype that is released on the Android market does not support the TC970. However there is a tweaked version made by an independent developer that supports a front facing camera.
xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] Skype Video for Froyo (and GB)
Make sure you enable "Use preview surface" under the tweaks menu.
It is a little glitchy on first establishing the video call, but if you fiddle with it, by pushing on the screen, and hitting the back button, it clears up."

I have been using Skype without video and I do find that there is feedback. If you use a headset it works fine.

theman7676

Dec 11, 2011
did someone finally figure out which skype to use and does it work well? (with video?)
will be nice to be able to use

antab

Dec 9, 2011
The version of skype linked to in the post above works! I've been working on this for two weeks trying to find a working video call solution. This is working, finally! I've tested video calls between the Le Pan and an iPhone 4. The video from the Le Pan's camera shows up perfectly fine on the iPhone 4, yet on the Le Pan the screen flashes for 20 - 30 seconds and then finally clears up and works perfectly thereafter. I am so happy to get this working. This is an awesome tablet!

Download com.skype.raider2-1.2.apk and install!

derekjlucas

Dec 7, 2011
I got the same note,
No problem installing it but I do not see a tweaks menu anywhere??? I have yet to test but will let you know what I find, if you found the tweaks menu let me know where?
Thanks,
Travis

To get to the Tweaks menu press the Menu button after you log in (on the initial screen) and you will see it on the right hand side. I tried the custom version, it works and as stated elsewhere in this thread if you wait 10 - 20 secs it stabilizes.

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
Exciting news! The newest version of Skype works on the Le Pan! Be sure to uninstall the old version completely first, and then install the newest version from the market.

The video will "bug out" for 20-30 seconds (the other person doesn't see this though), and then you are good to go.

I prefer to have the video quality set to "low", as I find Skype seems to overcompensate for the small camera in the tablet, seems lower quality than 'Low' quality!

Audio is decent - I will try it with a headset one of these days and see if it's any better.

jodyberry

Dec 13, 2011
How long ago did the new version come out? Because I tried it about 3 or 4 days ago with no success.

I also tried version 1.2 with no success also.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

Exciting news! The newest version of Skype works on the Le Pan! Be sure to uninstall the old version completely first, and then install the newest version from the market.

The video will "bug out" for 20-30 seconds (the other person doesn't see this though), and then you are good to go.

I prefer to have the video quality set to "low", as I find Skype seems to overcompensate for the small camera in the tablet, seems lower quality than 'Low' quality!

Audio is decent - I will try it with a headset one of these days and see if it's any better.

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
How long ago did the new version come out? Because I tried it about 3 or 4 days ago with no success.

I also tried version 1.2 with no success also.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

The new version hit the market Monday afternoon I believe?

Sent from my TC970 (Wi-Fi) using Tapatalk

prisgwilt

Dec 13, 2011
ok, complete newbie... down loaded and unzipped the file to my computer... but how do you install it??

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
ok, complete newbie... down loaded and unzipped the file to my computer... but how do you install it??

You need to go through your Market app on your tablet and download and install the app from there.