Smartq K7 battery level stuck at 100%

lexprie

Jan 20, 2013
Hello. I am a new user and I hope i am writing into the correct forum.
I just got my new SmartQ K7 chinese tablet (Cortex A9-based).

The problem is that it always shows battery level as 100%. When the battery gets empty, it just switches off without warning. When I connect charger then, it shows 100% again, but keeps on charging until the battery is fully charged (still always showing 100% during this).
The battery gets warm when charging and then gets colder later, so I beleive that the charging process is controlled correctly by the circuit, and the problem is only in reporting the charge level to the OS.
I tried deleting batterystats.bin, flashing the newest firmware, wiping data and cache partitions and battery stats via CWM, disassembling the unit and unsoldering the battery. Nothing helps.

I searched but found no common solution for my device or any similar one. The same problem is common for Ainol Novo tablets, and there is a well-known solution to writie certain bytes into some files in /sys/devices/i2c-2. Unfortunately my device doesn't have this branch on the filesystem.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next?

I beleive replacing the battery cannot help me, as the battery controlling circuit is on the mainboard, not inside the battery. Am I right?

D

Dawnstar

Hello. I am a new user and I hope i am writing into the correct forum.
I just got my new SmartQ K7 chinese tablet (Cortex A9-based).

The problem is that it always shows battery level as 100%. When the battery gets empty, it just switches off without warning. When I connect charger then, it shows 100% again, but keeps on charging until the battery is fully charged (still always showing 100% during this).
The battery gets warm when charging and then gets colder later, so I beleive that the charging process is controlled correctly by the circuit, and the problem is only in reporting the charge level to the OS.
I tried deleting batterystats.bin, flashing the newest firmware, wiping data and cache partitions and battery stats via CWM, disassembling the unit and unsoldering the battery. Nothing helps.

I searched but found no common solution for my device or any similar one. The same problem is common for Ainol Novo tablets, and there is a well-known solution to writie certain bytes into some files in /sys/devices/i2c-2. Unfortunately my device doesn't have this branch on the filesystem.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next?

I beleive replacing the battery cannot help me, as the battery controlling circuit is on the mainboard, not inside the battery. Am I right?

This is the most common problems with some Chinese tablets, so clam down
You only need to charge your tablet for two hours and it gets a little warn at times (But not hot), If you playing 3D games? It would run out of power within 1h 30mins on some tabs and Yes it can turn off without warning if the battery is low, I have a Battery app from google play it warns me if my battery is running low and when i plug in the charger it's tells me it's charging try it on your tablet or it could be the firmware need to be updated in your case,

That is all i can do to help you at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

lexprie

Jan 20, 2013
This is the most common problems with some Chinese tablets, so clam down
I have a Battery app from google play it warns me if my battery is running low and when i plug in the charger it's tells me it's charging try it on your tablet or it could be the firmware need to be updated in your case,
That is all i can do at this time.

Thank you for the answer, but I already wrote that I have updated the firmware with no effect.
Also I tried different apps that display battery level, voltage etc, and all of them constantly show 100% and 4299 mV.
The only thing the OS and apps can tell is if the battery is being currently charged or discharged.
I am even afraid that if I leave my device with charger plugged in for a long time, the battery may overcharge and explode. I hope there is a protection circuit that works independently of the charge control circuit, but I am not sure.
Does anyone know this?

D

Dawnstar

=lexprie;268241 Thank you for the answer, but I already wrote that I have updated the firmware with no effect.
Also I tried different apps that display battery level, voltage etc, and all of them constantly show 100% and 4299 mV.
The only thing the OS and apps can tell is if the battery is being currently charged or discharged.
I am even afraid that if I leave my device with charger plugged in for a long time, the battery may overcharge and explode. I hope there is a protection circuit that works independently of the charge control circuit, but I am not sure.
Does anyone know this?

I must have missed that part about (firmware) and (apps) All can say is don't keep it on the charger all the time i wouldn't risk it have you tried changing the charger it self that could the problem you are having there are many good chargers on the market for a tablet Don't use the one that came with your tab or any cheap usb cables.

Something to learn

Many Chinese branded devices are of low quality than Western branded tablets so you have to choose carefully. Poorer quality devices have panel gaps, sockets not straight and creaking cases.My recommendation is to stick to the large and well known Chinese brands, for example Ainol, Onda, Zenithink, who are more experienced at working to the West's higher standards. Choosing well known brands will also ensure availability of firmware updates, drivers and a user ecosystem to help troubleshoot problems.

When buying a device, check it includes an AC adapter for your country.

Last edited by a moderator:

lexprie

Jan 20, 2013
have you tried changing the charger it self that could the problem you are having there are many good chargers on the market for a tablet Don't use the one that came with your tab or any cheap usb cables.

The same thing happens when charging via USB with my branded Motorola charger and a good cable.

Many Chinese branded devices are of low quality than Western branded tablets so you have to choose carefully. Poorer quality devices have panel gaps, sockets not straight and creaking cases.My recommendation is to stick to the large and well known Chinese brands, for example Ainol, Onda, Zenithink, who are more experienced at working to the West's higher standards. Choosing well known brands will also ensure availability of firmware updates, drivers and a user ecosystem to help troubleshoot problems.

Before buying I studied forums and figured out that Ainols (particulary Fire/Flame which I firstly considered to buy) have much more problems than SmartQ. Touch screen failures, accidental clicks from the speaker, overheating... Even my 100% battery problem is very common for Ainols, while it seems that I am the only unlucky guy in the universe who faced this problem with SmartQ. Оn the other hand, the solution for Ainols is already found and for SmartQ it's not.

Anyway, next time I buy Samsung :)

Last edited: