SmartQ TEN..>Any impressions?

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
I noticed the SmartQ TEN a few days ago and I am just interested what you guys think of it...Is it a tablet that I should buy or not? I know it comes with Android 2.2...but the specs are nice and I hope it will get android 3.0. If it will get an update to 3.0 this looks like a really good tablet with really nice price/performance ratio.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
SmartQ is usually overpriced. I would be surprised if this was priced lower than $350USD, and it is not worth that much money.

Last edited:

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
well...it does have an Cortex A9 CPU and 512MBRAM...Also the IPS screen seems really nice. If this will get Android 3.0 it will be far cheaper than the XOOM. Also...it is 330$ at merimobiles. And like I said...if this will get upgrade to 3.0 it is well worth it.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The cheapest rate Merimobiles ships at is $18, which adds up to $348US. But considering the Merimobiles markup, my estimate was off about $50-$100US.

I didn't translate the benchmarks by Shanzhaiben, because I didn't find them too meaningful.

Amlogic is a single-core A9 at 800MHz. Specs (wikipedia) has the Cortex A9 up to 25% more efficient per MHz than the Cortex A8 theoretically. That means it will perform as well as a 1GHz Cortex A8, if you put that into context.

Amlogic SoC is selling as cheap as Cortex A8 (cheaper in some instances) in China right now. Stuff like this: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...cortex-a9-mali-gpu-android-2-2-tablet-pc.html shows exactly how cheap. The SmartQ adds an IPS display and a cheap touchscreen for $150.

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Well...talk about coincidence. Just yesterday I received my long-awaited email from Notion Ink. I will be buying an Adam:D

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The Merimobiles listing is weird, because the SmartQ Ten supposedly has not even started shipping yet. According to Shanzhaiben, SmartQ Ten has a Chinese retail price of 1899RMB ($290USD equivalent). So again Merimobiles is doing a ~+$50USD on the local retail price before shipping, which is okay.

The Notion Ink should be alright. Don't bother with the Chinese shanzhai units unless you want to deal with it...

jimmyzou

Jan 14, 2011
I noticed the SmartQ TEN a few days ago and I am just interested what you guys think of it...Is it a tablet that I should buy or not? I know it comes with Android 2.2...but the specs are nice and I hope it will get android 3.0. If it will get an update to 3.0 this looks like a really good tablet with really nice price/performance ratio.

In terms of Android 3.0, I don't think it's go to happen on SmartQ TEN, they are known as lacking of new OS support for old product

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
In terms of Android 3.0, I don't think it's go to happen on SmartQ TEN, they are known as lacking of new OS support for old product

That is sad...this could really be a nice tablet if it would have good support...but right now it does not matter for me since I won't be chageing my mind and will get the Adam. Just waiting for the actual email from notionink.

trampjuice

May 21, 2011
That is sad...this could really be a nice tablet if it would have good support...but right now it does not matter for me since I won't be chageing my mind and will get the Adam. Just waiting for the actual email from notionink.

Latest posts on the SmartQ MID unofficial forum are quite happy with it - its new firmware gives stable flash in web, good pdf and good gaming experiances. Full marketplace. Great standby. hours of use etc.. I know the price to hardware cost is being slated i.e. You are paying $150 extra 'for a screen' and IPS (more viewing angles), there is no HDMI (even though the circuit for this is part there... unconnected), and no 3G etc...But - its almost like saying why pay $150 extra for a 44 inch TV over a 12" TV - the hardware is the same inside!

Frankly, if you want to view pdfs without scrolling all over the screen, you need 4:3 ratio - basically you need a 'IPad clone' of a hires 4:3 ratio screen - AND THERE IS VERY LITTLE OUT THERE - its all 16:9 1024x600 gamerz movie world etc.., so well done for SmartQ for catering for the more seroius market. Most of these companies are chasing the same market, and will have less of a profit, while the smaller but still substantial reader market has been neglected. Thanks to that, there is more profit to be made by companies like SmartQ.

It might be better and more functional to buy a pmp + PDF reader like the hires 4:3 CUBE H1000 for $130 and then a decent 7" tablet HDTV/HDMI Out for $200 or under, but I have just bought a SmartQ TEN for $330 from electroworld.cn because I like the 9.7" IPad size of the device.

I don't know if the device will be rooted to Android 3 - but given the kind of forum interest the SmartQ followers have in the hardware and software of the device I am sure it will follow.

Last edited:

trampjuice

May 21, 2011
Just to adjust my orig. post - the Smart Ten doesn't quite have stable flash in web. Yet. Its all a bit ropey apparently. Ca only hope this will be fixed by a sw upgrade.

trampjuice

May 21, 2011

Review of the SmartQ Ten. Looks like any device which supports Android 3.0 needs a 1280x760 display minimum (as well as 512MB Mem & 1Ghz CPU). But the main minimum is the display - seems a little silly to me as other OS's simply scale to whatever display Res the user wants. The 1024x768 display of the SmartQ Ten is the only limiting factor. Since Android is basically a skin on Linux and its code will be opensource AFAIK, I am sure it can be adapted if it's just a screen size issue.

Last edited by a moderator: