Sony S? How good is it ?

Cathaoir99

Dec 7, 2011
Hey guys,
Got a good deal on the Sony S, i got the 16gb tablet and two years coverage for £340. I choose this over the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, which was really hard cause i really liked the Asus. I cant get it until christmas, so how good is the Sony S? Would you have personally chose it over the Eee Pad?
Just looking for some key advantages that the tablet has :)

Thanks in advance
:D

joey596

Dec 12, 2011
I take it your choosing the sony over the asus transformer prime? Im in the same situation, I dont want to wait on rumors of when it will come out and massive prices, Ive reached the point now that im going tomorrow and buying the S regardless of the cons (which i have read many) but an IR remote, lightweight and the same resolution as most other 10.1 tablets so it should have quite high pixel density. btw where are you getting two years coverage from? thats really good considering its basically free.

Cathaoir99

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah i was thinking the exact same, since i started reading about the Asus Eee Pad Transformer being the big rival to the iPad ect, i fell in love with it! However ive been reading up on other tablets recently and discovered the Sony S, then today i seen their was a pretty good deal in PcWorld (Hence where i purchased it) and thought i might aswell go for it. To be honest i feel the Prime is going to go for quite a hefty price due to the fact that nearly every tablet of the upper price range have nearly the same specifications, the prime really is going to be something new, especially with the new nvidia quadcore processor. Collectively I think its really going to bring something new and re-energized to tablets, i can always get it this time next year when the prices fall, its really not that big of a deal to me. The PcWorld deals has expired today btw ): I would say go with the Eee Pad or the Sony S!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Asus America apparently stated that the release date of the Prime is December 19, nothing has changed. That said I had the opportunity to play with a Sony Tablet S and it is quite a Tablet, very light yet felt solid. Probably the easiest to hold and use tablet (app 10" range) I have tried. Although I still bought the TF101, mainly for the keyboard/battery dock, I have to admit to being a long time fan of Sony's innovative hardware.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I chose the Sony s over the Acer A500 which I rated above all the other tablets I looked at. Don't remember if Asus was one of those. Be prepared to be amazed!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

GiantRobot

Dec 11, 2011
I've done a fair amount of research. The Sony seems to be a solid tab. The multi media aspect of it has a lot of folks excited. Nice screen, IR functions for universal remote, PS games (with more to come -most likely), Sony music, and movies...The design is unique, etc...

Seems like a good choice.

krompi

Dec 8, 2011
Two weeks ago I have decided to buy a (Android) Tablet. I have choosen the Sony Tablet S (32GB, WLAN-only) and I like to mention this was a good choice.

I added the docking station to charge the battery and use as digital foto album or digital clock. The tab works best in my living room:
- streaming movies and music from my WD NAS (2TB)
- watching movies from Sony Video Store
- Reading web and newspapers (Spiegel, german newspaper with a digital offer)
- Use the remote control for my multimedia devices

I have not encountered any issues with my tab so far. WLAN works fine, the display is great, the remote control is unique, keeping the tab very easy in your hands,... It makes that much fun to use the tab, so that I have discussions with my girlfriend to let me use it.
The tab has no HDMI adapter. In a Sony Store I have seen the DLNA feature to simply move the tab screen to the TV, incredible. Unfortunatley I have a very old TV without DLNA.

I have choosen the WLAN-only version since I have a HTC Desire to connect to the Internet.

So, why not take the Sony Tab if you have a good offer? I believe it's worth the money.

orazio

Dec 13, 2011
Sorry I disagree with you. It wasn't good choice. I bought 2 weeks ago and I don't like it.

I'm not satisfy about the sony.

It is very slow, the browser makes some funny behavior when the internet connection is slow.

The microphone is quite terrible very low volume. So, I cannot use with skype or other similar app.

It is difficult to run even the basic sipdroid for making phone call.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Sounds like you might have a defective device or a bad connection. I have used Skype on mine and it works great! Speakers seem superior to even my laptop and internet is quicker then laptop too.

Cathaoir99

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks everyone for your input and information, i guess im really happy with the choice i made :) As for Orazio, ive done a lot of research on this tablet and this is the first ive heard of those problems?

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Just curious, what is a sipdroid?

Aldroid

Oct 8, 2011
NOT happy with unit. Bought in late October, paid $599.00.
Now 150 off at Sony store.
Body creaking in corner, plastic flex. Waiting for after holidays to send it in. Havent updated the OS yet, sso not having the restart prblem. But.....
Its hard to type on.
Web pages freak out while scrolling (zoom in, zoom out)
Android is a joke.
Apps for tablets?
No HULU.
NO PS3 CONTROL....still..???????

BTW its for sale...

DatsHim

Nov 3, 2011
update and you will get ps3 support. this is a first edition so it has its faults but overall i am very happy with it. i have the 16g and put a 128g card in it.its light weight which is a big plus and the design is the best ask anyone who has held it

Tzarrr

Nov 22, 2011
I bought the Sony Tablet S a month ago and after pretty much intensive use every day, I can report I am very satisfied with it. It's solid, hasn't crashed once, easy to use. The screen is very high quality. The only issue I had at the beginning was some kind of power leak, but it lasted only a day or two and disappeared after.

Please do you a favor and download the Dolphin HD browser for tablets. It's free and will make your browsing experience better on the tablet.

BTW, the speakers work better if you hold the tablet and place your hands behind such as the sound will "reverberate" in your palms towards you. Or the same effect will be achieved if you place the tablet down on a hard surface.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for the heads up on Dolphin. I am currently using Skyfire and like that one a lot.