Sony Tablet S and Android 3.2.1

SonyShawn8

Dec 8, 2011
I received my Sony Tablet S this past Monday 5 December 2011 as a Christmas gift. I opened it up to set it up so it would be ready to go on Christmas day. I processed the upgraded for Android 3.2.1 and have not been happy since. I experience issues where alot of apps "force close" which isn't the most annoying problem (since I have a Droid phone, I'm used to that). Every so often when the Tablet is not on the charger, the backlight of the screen dims to the point where you cannot see anything. It's not off because I can still access different screens, but in order for it to come back to full brightness, I have to press the power button to "sleep" it and then press the power button again to wake it up. Then it's back to full brightness. This happens in all sorts of apps while I'm actively using the Tablet so I know it's not the screen saver timer. I pressed the reset button, but it still does this from time to time. I called Sony Support and was not given any help because they have no idea what the problem is. I've been researching over the net to see if there are similar problems to no avail so I'm posting my own in hopes of finding a solution. I love the Tablet and want to keep it, but this annoying issue is causing me to consider another tablet. Please help!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry to hear about your issue. Was this issue happening before the update or only after? It sounds like it might be hardware related.

Monsterman

Oct 6, 2011
I've had my Sony Tablet for months, done all of the upgrades that are available and so far its been working just as it did from the day I opened the box. I did have some issue with Facebook for a day or so but I think it was on their end and not mine.. As of now everything is working as it should with the latest updates..

SonyShawn8

Dec 8, 2011
Sad thing is that I didn't test it before the update. As soon as I turned it on and went thru setting up the tablet, it prompted me to perform the update. I've contacted the company I purchased it thru...told me I should be hearing from someone within 5-7 days...still have not heard from them (day 6). I called Sony and they said they would set it up to return the tablet for a replacement (hopefully new). Have yet to receive anything from them. Yesterday, there was an update (3.2.1 (ver2)) that I conducted, hoping it would alleviate the issue....sadly it did not. I'm thinking that it's just a defective model. I've researched all over the web and have found nothing similar to my issue.

lhlan

Dec 27, 2011
Yes, it is common across a number of user posts. In fact it became a required fix to Sony among other things such as: power leak during standby.

I sort of "enjoy" this since 3.2.1, and after upgrading to 3.2.1 ver. 2, it did not go away.

I don't believe this is a hardware issue, because there is a quick fix: turn the auto brightness off, then the screen never dims.

bitbanger

Jan 2, 2012
Yes, it is common across a number of user posts. In fact it became a required fix to Sony among other things such as: power leak during standby.

I sort of "enjoy" this since 3.2.1, and after upgrading to 3.2.1 ver. 2, it did not go away.

I don't believe this is a hardware issue, because there is a quick fix: turn the auto brightness off, then the screen never dims.

HI,

I can confirm that it is not a hardware issue. I have the same problem with three other tablets. Only the auto brightness "fix" won't work for me..
During daylight i have no problem but in the evening i can forget skype because the video image on the front camera is much to dark.

Regards.