Sound trouble A500

charlie42s

May 28, 2012
Your problem is probably different from the one reported by oldhamtrader. He reported that his headphone icon was not always on, but switched on and off normally when plugging/unplugging the headphones. Your problem may be a caused by damage or foreign object in the headphone jack, and possibly a defective switch. You could try working the jack/switch with a headphone plug, to see if you can get the icon to change, and the speakers to work.

I visually examined the condition of the jack. It's clean and shows no damage. I guess I could blow some air into the jack, but how could a switch get thrown by itself?

I didn't have this issue until after I updated to Android 4.03. I was probably on Android v2 at that time. This may have happened around the time that Maps started showing up on the switchable apps along with Acer Media, without me invoking them.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I visually examined the condition of the jack. It's clean and shows no damage. I guess I could blow some air into the jack, but how could a switch get thrown by itself?

I didn't have this issue until after I updated to Android 4.03. I was probably on Android v2 at that time. This may have happened around the time that Maps started showing up on the switchable apps along with Acer Media, without me invoking them.
Well Acer Media only become active when the A500 is plugged into the Docking Station. It does it everytime I plug in.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012

Regardless of the type of switch, and whether or not you have used it, it could have dirt, oil or some other dielectric substance in the contacts. Working it a little may clear that.

That's just the most likely possible cause, and what I would check first. There are certainly other problems that could cause this. You could have a short somewhere in the switch path -- e.g., in the switch, in the wiring, or on the board.

It also seems possible that this could be caused by a state issue, where again, working the switch might cause the state to change and resolve the issue.

If the mechanical approach with the jack does not work, then I would try first a hard reset (pinhole, lower right). This merely boots the system similar to power up, but also appears to reset things on the board that the normal power off/on cycle does not.

If that does not work, you also have a soft option called the Factory data reset. This is available under Settings-->Backup & reset. This will wipe all user data from the tablet and puts the tablet in a state as if you had never used it. It will stay on ICS though.

If you use the Factory data reset don't forget to copy any files that you wish to keep to external storage.

After you have tried all of that, and the condition still persists, especially after the hard reset and then the Factory data reset, you may have little choice but to use the warranty if you still have time left on it, or if not, then open the case and see if you can determine the problem that way.

Last edited:

charlie42s

May 28, 2012
Regardless of the type of switch, and whether or not you have used it, it could have dirt, oil or some other dielectric substance in the contacts. Working it a little may clear that.

That's just the most likely possible cause, and what I would check first. There are certainly other problems that could cause this. You could have a short somewhere in the switch path -- e.g., in the switch, in the wiring, or on the board.

It also seems possible that this could be caused by a state issue, where again, working the switch might cause the state to change and resolve the issue.

If the mechanical approach with the jack does not work, then I would try first a hard reset (pinhole, lower right). This merely boots the system similar to power up, but also appears to reset things on the board that the normal power off/on cycle does not.

If that does not work, you also have a soft option called the Factory data reset. This is available under Settings-->Backup & reset. This will wipe all user data from the tablet and puts the tablet in a state as if you had never used it. It will stay on ICS though.

If you use the Factory data reset don't forget to copy any files that you wish to keep to external storage.

After you have tried all of that, and the condition still persists, especially after the hard reset and then the Factory data reset, you may have little choice but to use the warranty if you still have time left on it, or if not, then open the case and see if you can determine the problem that way.

Tried the pinhole reset, same result. Blew air into the jack from my compressor, same result. I downloaded Honeycomb v3, but it wouldn't open the file and would only let me open the page. I would like to unstall ICS and go back Honeycomb. Any advice on how to do this? It's strange, I can only access the list of downloads when I'm actively downloading a file and not from the Downloads App.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Tried the pinhole reset, same result. Blew air into the jack from my compressor, same result.
Did you try the Factory data reset? That is different from the pinhole reset. If the Factory data reset does not resolve this particular problem, it is extremely unlikely that loading some other ROM will fix it either.
I downloaded Honeycomb v3, but it wouldn't open the file and would only let me open the page. I would like to unstall ICS and go back Honeycomb. Any advice on how to do this? It's strange, I can only access the list of downloads when I'm actively downloading a file and not from the Downloads App.
I have thought about that a few times myself, but not for long. That's not a relatively simple task. You'd likely have to root your device to accomplish it, and that will likely void your warranty. If you decide to go that route, you would get better support by loading one of the popular custom ROMs than going back to the stock HC. In either case, that seems very drastic if all you are trying to do is fix the speakers.

Consider this also. In the very near future, almost every a500 will be running ICS, and support options for HC will become very limited. If the device is under waranty, you will have to be running stock ICS to get support from Acer, and there probably won't be much discussion of HC anymore on any of the forums either. I have only been running ICS for little over a month, and I'm already forgetting where all the settings were on HC.

I suggest that you try the Factory data reset. It is very easy, and very fast. You will know within seconds whether or not it solves the problem. If the Factory data reset does not resolve this, you almost certainly have a hardware problem, and because you see the headphone icon on all the time, it is most likely somewhere in the path from the headphone jack switch to the system board.

charlie42s

May 28, 2012
Did you try the Factory data reset? That is different from the pinhole reset. If the Factory data reset does not resolve this particular problem, it is extremely unlikely that loading some other ROM will fix it either.

I have thought about that a few times myself, but not for long. That's not a relatively simple task. You'd likely have to root your device to accomplish it, and that will likely void your warranty. If you decide to go that route, you would get better support by loading one of the popular custom ROMs than going back to the stock HC. In either case, that seems very drastic if all you are trying to do is fix the speakers.

Consider this also. In the very near future, almost every a500 will be running ICS, and support options for HC will become very limited. If the device is under waranty, you will have to be running stock ICS to get support from Acer, and there probably won't be much discussion of HC anymore on any of the forums either. I have only been running ICS for little over a month, and I'm already forgetting where all the settings were on HC.

I suggest that you try the Factory data reset. It is very easy, and very fast. You will know within seconds whether or not it solves the problem. If the Factory data reset does not resolve this, you almost certainly have a hardware problem, and because you see the headphone icon on all the time, it is most likely somewhere in the path from the headphone jack switch to the system board.
ing covers
I'm no longer under warranty. Manana I'll do the factory reset. I have to move data. I'll try to clean the docking port before this. It's more likely to get dirty. If filth is the reason, it's a poor design to leave the ports open, instead of them hav

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
ing covers
I'm no longer under warranty. Manana I'll do the factory reset. I have to move data. I'll try to clean the docking port before this. It's more likely to get dirty. If filth is the reason, it's a poor design to leave the ports open, instead of them hav
I missed seeing that you were using a docking port. Does the a500 work properly when removed from the docking port if you then plug headphones in, wait 5 seconds, and then unplug the headphones? I'm guessing that you probably checked that, but asking just in case.

Again, if that does not help, then Factory data reset still seems the best next step.

charlie42s

May 28, 2012
I missed seeing that you were using a docking port. Does the a500 work properly when removed from the docking port if you then plug headphones in, wait 5 seconds, and then unplug the headphones? I'm guessing that you probably checked that, but asking just in case.

Again, if that does not help, then Factory data reset still seems the best next step.

Sorry for the confusion but I'm not using a docking station. I only have the A500.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Today, I went to a website I haven't been to in a while, initiated a video and it fixed my problem. The headphone icon is gone and the tablet is producing audio. I never reloaded the os, I was lazy.
Fantastic. Great news Charlie. I'm pleased that your problem has been solved.

glazza

Oct 8, 2012
Sorry to ressurect an old thread but i have the same problem as Oldham and im desperate to seek some help/advice.

Sound trouble A510

Was watching a game video on the Nvision App when suddenly my Speakers suddenly stopped working on my A510 i have checked and tried everything i can find but sadly nothing has got my sound back working but if i plug in my Headphones the sound works perfectly. My volume control is all the way up and i have also Tried pinhole reset and factory reset but still the same results no sound unless i use my headfones and im realy worried now and its driving me to despair so any help realy will be most appreciated.

G.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Does the "headphone" icon appear on the status bar? Is it there all the time? Or only when you put the headphone jack in?

Sometimes the switch in the headphone jack gets stuck. The headphone icon would be on all the time.

glazza

Oct 8, 2012
Does the "headphone" icon appear on the status bar? Is it there all the time? Or only when you put the headphone jack in?

Sometimes the switch in the headphone jack gets stuck. The headphone icon would be on all the time.

Hi Douvie

Thanks for your reply its been very difficult to get any help at all on this matter so im truly gratefull :)

Anyways no headfones icon appears in the status bar unles i actualy plug the headfones in so its not there all the time and only when headfones are plugged in.

Thanks.

G.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi Douvie

Thanks for your reply its been very difficult to get any help at all on this matter so im truly gratefull :)

Anyways no headfones icon appears in the status bar unles i actualy plug the headfones in so its not there all the time and only when headfones are plugged in.

Thanks.

G.

Glazza,

The original OP of this thread tried several things - all which seemed not to help. Then he went to a web site in the course of his surfing and, the problem got solved. So I suspect you have a similar problem. Try figure out which web site he went to and that will probably solve your problem. But I'll try get more info.

Oops got that wrong. Try get a hold of Charlie42 - he seem to get the problem fixed.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword12

Jan 31, 2013
well my headphones dont work anymore, and they were fine just 20 miutes before. so i guess my case of no sound is vise versa to yours.