Sprint G-tab Do you need Data plan to use my location and navigation on google map?

newnick

Jan 23, 2011
I am on Sprint Galaxy tab. After I upgraded the recent firmware, i am not able to use my location on google with GPS and wifi on. Is this normal? I am not aware of the problem before the software upgrade becasue I simply did not pay attention to that. Any insight anyone?

Mich1248

Feb 14, 2011
I am on Sprint Galaxy tab. After I upgraded the recent firmware, i am not able to use my location on google with GPS and wifi on. Is this normal? I am not aware of the problem before the software upgrade becasue I simply did not pay attention to that. Any insight anyone?

Mine as well want connect to gps without a data plan now...but I tether my tab yo my Droid X for a couple minutes to find the location then untether and it is good to go..

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010

BTW - May be a REALLY DUMB question but I just have to ask, are you connected to the web via WiFi when you attempt the GPS fix (assume you are but you don't explicitly say it - that's why I'm asking because google can only do place name lookups when its connected to the web either by wifi, phone tether, or direct through 3G data)? Just trying to confirm whether the GPS + Google Maps is only working when connected via 3G (that would be bad) vs. connected online via any means (which would be normal).

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Mine as well want connect to gps without a data plan now...but I tether my tab yo my Droid X for a couple minutes to find the location then untether and it is good to go..

Are you tethering via WiFi, USB, or BT?

newnick

Jan 23, 2011
I was home on wifi (connected to the web). I put the tab on airplane mode. And I turned on GPS when I was trying to use google "my location" which did not work..

Last edited:

specmac

Oct 19, 2010
I was home on wifi (connected to the web). I put the tab on airplane mode. And I turned on GPS when I was trying to use google "my location" which did not work..

This works just fine on my tab. Just have to wait for the GPS to lock on. If the GPS symbol is flashing (not locked) it will not work.

Edit - Oh, by the way, dont put it in airplane mode. Just diactivate Data Network Mode. This just disables the 3g radio.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

newnick

Jan 23, 2011
This works just fine on my tab. Just have to wait for the GPS to lock on. If the GPS symbol is flashing (not locked) it will not work.

Edit - Oh, by the way, dont put it in airplane mode. Just diactivate Data Network Mode. This just disables the 3g radio.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

thank you for your help! It is working now!