Steve Jobs disses 7" tablet form factor - Who else thinks this is full of crap?

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Didn't Jobs try to prevent people from jailbreaking Iphones? Judge ruled it legal, and Android users have a ball with rooting. I think that was more his main concern - some did not like the "benevolent dictatorship" that was imposed. Apple knew what you wanted, made it easy to do it, and could control everything you wanted to do electronically.
MS is going to try that again. PC/laptop tablet and cell all running same OS.

Apple had a problem with Adobe. Everything was fine as long as Adobe products were Mac only. As soon as Adobe put out a Windows version, companies could buy a cheaper high end windows machine and do graphics/design on that.

I saw an article which I can't find now, that Apple is rethinking about a smaller Ipad. Maybe the new management is listening, somewhat.

I find the 7" very handy. Any larger would also be a problem. I was out in Arches NP watching a kid taking photos of Park Avenue on an Ipad. It looked rather klutzy. a 7" might be a little more reasonable with a back camera (Coby only has front - so did the Ipad apparently from the way the kid was using it.)

Grug

Aug 15, 2011
I may be wrong it could go down with the Bill Gates quotes of infamy such as:
"640 K should be enough for anyone"

Bill Gates never said this. He has always denied it and there is no hard evidence that he ever said it. Its one of the many Urban myths.

As for the topic I beleive there is definately a market for 7 inch tablets especially if they are half the price of full size tablets. Christmas time will soon tell with Kindle Fire and other 7 inch tablet sales.

Last edited:

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010
I have a Motorola Atrix, and a 7 inch galaxy tab. Both are great, in their niche. I much prefer surfing on the 7 inch. I have used 10.1 inch netbooks, and feel that they are too kludgy for mobile use. I imagine that even without the keyboard, the 10.1 inch size would be too big for comfortable mobility. I can put the gt in my cargo pocket without problem. Of course, I am an antiapple fanboy, as I do not like the lock down approach Apple has.

stringbob

Oct 24, 2011
My 7" Ideos s7 is disappointing, primarily because the vendor refuses to upgrade the device to 2.2. The other major issue is battery life is pathetic. Why did I buy it? Good question. I usually research the heck outta something b4 I spend. This time, not. It's primary use today is a Pandora player in the kitchen.

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
I have to agree with most of the posters here. The 7" form factor has more advantages for uses outside of home. Plus android os is like windows 95 to windowsXP...easily customised for most users experience.only time will tell if android goes the way of windows products overpriced and the customer looking for the next best thing (beos)

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
I don't think there's really any right or wrong "form factor", to be honest it all boils down to a matter of opinion and/or preference. Perhaps, and I could be WAY off base here, but maybe Steve Jobs thought of the iPad and tablets in general mostly as media consumption devices (audio & video), but the fact is they are used for a LOT more than that and for some people a 7" tablet display is quite suffice. Even when it comes to watching videos a lot of people don't seem to mind watching them on a smaller 7" screen.