Stock Email Application Question.

MozartMan

Dec 4, 2012
Hello everybody.

I just registered on this forum because I bought IdeaTab A2109 on Black Friday and have a question about stock email application (not Gmail app).

I set it up with my Comcast email service. It works fine. But it looks like it doesn't store email messages locally on the tablet. Whenever I delete messages on Comcast webserver these emails disappear from the tablet. Is is supposed to work like that?

For example, on my HTC EVO 3D stock email app stores messages locally. And when I delete them on Comcast server they still present on my EVO phone.

Thanks.

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
Hello everybody.

I just registered on this forum because I bought IdeaTab A2109 on Black Friday and have a question about stock email application (not Gmail app).

I set it up with my Comcast email service. It works fine. But it looks like it doesn't store email messages locally on the tablet. Whenever I delete messages on Comcast webserver these emails disappear from the tablet. Is is supposed to work like that?

I've had 4 Android devices... they've all worked that way. I don't see an option to store messages locally. If that's something you need, try the Play Store... there's a number of alternative email apps. I've heard good things about K-9 Mail, but I've never tried it myself.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
is the server set up as an IMAP or POP3 account?

IMAP syncs the devices with the server, delete on one, deletes on all.
POP3 stores each individually, delete on one, remains on the others.

I personally like IMAP so I know what I read, and also IMAP supports folders so you can file an email into a folder on one device, and it will be in the same folder on all other devices. Also, POP3 can cause issues if it is set up to delete from the server once it downloads on one device as you will never see the email on the other devices.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I've had 4 Android devices... they've all worked that way. I don't see an option to store messages locally. If that's something you need, try the Play Store... there's a number of alternative email apps. I've heard good things about K-9 Mail, but I've never tried it myself.

I used K-9 before, and I just set it up to use for my Yahoo mail (I never liked their app). It seems you can define all sorts of criteria for local mail storage, using Account Settings. Anyway, I was happy with it when I used it, and it looks like it'll suit your needs.

MozartMan

Dec 4, 2012
is the server set up as an IMAP or POP3 account?
I have my Comcast email set up in Outlook (two PCs at home and one PC at work) and on HTC EVO 3D. Outlook settings show that it is POP3 type.
I went through setting in the email app on the tablet. It doesn't show anywhere the type. But I guess it should be POP3. It is also set to Never delete email from server. And I would like to have email messages stored locally on the tablet like I have it on EVO 3D, but it looks like it is not possible. I guess I will have to try K-9 Email.

Thanks for replies everyone.

MozartMan

MozartMan

Dec 4, 2012
Found workaround.
On the tablet, when I delete email messages from Inbox they are moved to the Trash folder. When I delete messages on Comcast server the once that are in the Inbox folder disappear, but the once that are in the Trash folder stay. I will just keep those messages that I need on the tablet in the Trash folder.