Stream media from SAMBA to Android tablet

tardis

Dec 2, 2011
Hi, this is my first post! I'd like to stream media over wi-fi from my Linux PC with SAMBA to my Android tablet (and Android phone with Gingerbread).

Host: Ubuntu with Samba share
Devices: Acer A500 with Honeycomb, (and Tmobile G2 phone with Gingerbread).

I use File Expert on the G2 to access Samba files with no problems. I can copy files to the phone from SAMBA, but can't play/stream from SAMBA. With the A500 I prefer to stream the data from SAMBA instead of copying.

I need to stream mp3, mkv, avi, etc. On the G2 I use MX Video Player and Mobi Player, but will likely buy Dice player to play x.264 video.
I think there may be a File Expert plugin for SAMBA but had no luck finding it.

Thanks! I ordered the Acer A500 and will be getting it in a few days.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Try ES File Explorer. Another option is File Manager HD bit that one may not work on a phone.

Both support streaming to the player of your choice.

tardis

Dec 2, 2011
Try ES File Explorer. Another option is File Manager HD bit that one may not work on a phone.

Both support streaming to the player of your choice.

Thanks! Will try it on my Acer A500 tablet early next week (as soon as UPS delivers!). You're right - File Manager HD doesn't seem to be an option for the phone.

dtrud0h

Dec 6, 2011
Try VLC music player for linux. it allows you to stream over your network and assign an adapter and port to stream from. Then it should be as easy as pointing your android player to the stream. Forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't have my android device yet. I do think I saw somewhere that VLC has been ported to android and overall it's a great music player and video player for that matter, the fact that it can be set up as a streaming server is just icing on the cake. It should be in your distro's repository if it isn't installed by default.