SYTAB10MT boot animation

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
There are plenty of threads out there on changing boot animations. Just wanted to post and let users know that this is possible, and easy, on the SYTAB10MT as well.

In the SYTAB10MT boot sequence you will see three things:
  1. InfoTMIC logo
  2. Sylvania static logo
  3. Animated Sylvania logo
They are pretty easy to tell apart if you're looking. 2 and 3 are meant to look like one thing, but they are not. 2 is a static image, part of the ROM I believe, and 3 is a video.

To replace part 3 with your own animation, you simply create or locate a suitable bootanimation.zip file (there are many out there) and place it in /data/local. I have done it, and it works fine on the SYTAB10MT. To get the file to the right place, I did the soft root (may not be necessary) described in this post, then used the browser to download my file (rename .zip to something the browser will accept, apk works fine), then used RootExplorer to copy the file into place and rename it appropriately back to .ZIP

To make your own bootanimation.zip, create a ZIP file with these things:
  • A folder named "part0"
    • Inside this folder you will place the PNG frames of your animation, sequentially named ("0001.png, 0002.png, 0003.png" etc)
    • The frames I used were 512x256 pixels, Indexed
  • a text file named "desc.txt"
    • Mine has the following two lines:
      • 1024 600 24
      • p 0 0 part0
    • There are great descriptions of desc.txt and its parts online if you want them.
Again, this is not new information, but I wanted to post and verify that it works fine on the SYTAB10MT.

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Have you seen this thread on XDA?

[APP] Bootanimation Utility - 1.1.1 - xda-developers

I haven't messed with it yet, but i might now that people are interested...

Now... do we know what the screen res for all the ID'd models are?
would it be different between the EX7 and the 7LP?
Could that change in a future update to the OS?

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
ok. i tried the manual way of putting the "bootanimation.zip" file in /data/local...
nada... I still get the sylvania logo animation.
I have the EX7. what am I doing wrong?
I even tried the boot animation utility I found on XDA, and that doesn't work either....
so it works on the 10"... does this work on the 7" LP7? Or the EX7? I spent a few hours trying over and over. nothing worked.

Again I say what am I doing wrong?

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
I can't get it to work either, on my EX7
The Bootanimation App instals but crashes sometimes, other times seems to work but nothing happens.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
Bootanim issues on other tablets might deserve their own post, it would help people who are searching for info later.

The modification as described does work on the SYTAB10MT, 10.2" tablet with 1024x600 resolution (though the frames don't have to be full resolution, as you can see in my original post- they scale to fill the screen. You don't have to add any applications or do anything else, you simply place the zip file in /data/local and it loads on the next reboot.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
As I was playing with my own SYTAB10MT bootanimation.zip files from scratch, I noticed that:
  1. I'm not sure RGB worked, but Indexed worked.
  2. I set my ZIP compression level to "store"
When I did things that way, everything worked. When I tried RBG files with zip compression at max, they did not load. I don't know which changed fixed it, but Indexed with Store compression (none) works on the SYTAB10MT.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
In case anyone wants to change their boot animation, here is one that I made up real quick for the SYTAB10MT. It has full-res 1024x600 frames, so it looks decent, if a little boring. You can unzip and preview it before placing the original zip in /data/local on your SYTAB10MT and rebooting.

http://jozhaus.com/files/bootanimation.zip

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I believe that if you look towards the end of this part of the forums, there is another thread on changing the boot animation. I think CFRockit and Xi2Wicked were the main contributors to the thread.