T-Mobile Pay As You Go + $1.49 Web Day Pass + Android T-Mobile My Account App = WIN

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I'm currently in the UK.
I bought a T-mobile Wireless Pointer (huawei 583C) £54.99 which I wanted and it came with a SIM. You are required to top up with £10.00 of credit and you get 30 days of free unlimited mobile broadband which is normally £25.00 and an attached 5GB FUP.
I have hammered my usage without any problem solving far - 11 days in.

So the Pointer cost me £30.00 and I still have £10.00 credit on the account!
Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

mrook15

Dec 26, 2010
I cannot get to a web site for the day web pass. With the wifi off it does not re-direct and the tmobile android my account says it wont work with this device.

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
I cannot get to a web site for the day web pass. With the wifi off it does not re-direct and the tmobile android my account says it wont work with this device.

What type of SIM do you have? Pre Paid or Post Paid? Phone and Data, Phone only, or just Data only?

Can you make phone calls?

Is your tablet rooted?

Is the SIM Card firmly in place? Is it properly inserted?

When you tap on the cellular "chevron" icon, does it pop down and say "T-Mobile"?

Are you on GSM/WCDMA instead of GSM under Wireless Settings?

With WiFi Off, toggle the button labeled "Data Service" found under SETTINGS menu until you see the up and down arrow icons with a Large "E" - this icon should replace where you would normally see the WiFi icon. It isn't until then can you even think about accessing a web browser using mobile "Edge" data service. If ya don't see that "E" up there, your cellular modem is not activated.

As for the "My Account" app not working, I know it won't work while using WiFi, and it suggests that you disable WiFi to continue.

Last edited:

mrook15

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry it took so long to reply. Somehow it finally directed me to the website to buy a day pass and it worked great, thanks.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
I seemed to have trouble doing it when the wifi was on, once off just clicked on the data service icon in communication and no problem.

Must be getting old, the part where you click on the day pass is super tiny.

MrSpeeb

Dec 27, 2010
In case anyone else is in this situation I thought I would document my progress with T-Mobile Webconnect SIM. configuration.

12/29 - Bought Webconnect SIM and $10-7 day/100MB card in T-Mobile store in mall. Set up my.t-mobile.com account. Account shows 0MB used and 100MB remaining. There is an oddity here. Turns out you can't add more time to your account until it expires (either 7 days or 100MB)??? Guess they don't want my $$$.

Anyhow, S7 recognizes the SIM. Displays T-Mobile on the startup screen, etc. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and turn on Data. Edge icon appears. Open browser. Sent to T-Mobile "upsell" screen that says I don't have any credits left in my account. This screen is from a Web site so I know I'm connected to the data network and to the Internet. *** Called support. On hold but not too long. After much discussion convinced Customer Support that I was on a real device (not a Galaxy), had a real account, with a real balance, wasn't using a T-Mobile phone, was using a SIM and not a stick... they reported the problem to engineering and said they would call back tomorrow. No call back. Duh!

After several days of back and forth with customer support and them telling me that engineering was still working on it, I went to a T-Mobile store. Long story short, I swapped my SIM with a SIM in a Galaxy tablet they had in the store. The store tablet worked with my SIM and my S7 worked with the store SIM??? Swapped SIMs back. No change. The S7 still won't go past the T-Mobile upsell screen.

Oddly, an hour later T-Mobile engineering called me. No Really!!! They said they are having this problem with multiple devices and multiple configurations so it is not the S7s and/or Android. Good to know. I ran some test for them while they traced. A lot of HMMMs, AHHHs, etc. but no resolution. It's now 1/4 and I've yet to get by the T-Mobile upsell screen but the engineers say they have a good trace and are off to investigate. Oh, they also assure me they will start the 7day/100MB over when the situation is resolved. I just thought I would let folks know that while there may be a resolution coming, I've been unable to get on the T-Mobile data network.

1/5/11 Update - Just got a call back from Customer Care saying that they heard back from engineering and that the S7 is a "grey" device that is not supported on a pre-paid plan. They want me to move to a monthly plan (of course). I've placed a call to the engineering contact to confirm this position. Hopefully, this is a miscommunication within T-Mobile as there was no indication of this position the last time I talked to engineering.

1/6/11 Update - Just got off the phone with the T-Mobile engineers. They confirm the above. It is not a technical issue but a provisioning policy decision. "Grey devices are not allowed to use a prepaid Webconnect plan. You must be on a monthly plan". The engineers told me they had escalated this to management as they could not understand why they would not take my money when there is no technical reason to not provide service. I'm not holding my breath. On to AT&T and/or Verizon to see if I can find a pay as you go data plan. AT&T Dataconnect will likely be my next try.

Last edited:

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Mr. Speeb- Can't you just get a cheap pay as you go phone, use that imei Number with your account and have them think that is your internet connection device, and switch your chip to to Hs7?

You can even use an old phone with just the imei number as long as no one else uses that phone anymore.

fsramosS7

Jan 6, 2011
I did not have any issue buying a prepaid phone and using the sim on my S7, it took me a while to figure out though. Once I registered the SIM with my S7 Imei, I got on the Tmobile wireless service. After that , I had to reboot (power off and on) the S7 to have it registered in the data wireless network. I opened the browser, and I what I got was a WAP based site. The site did not have the any option to buy the 1 day Web Pass. After a few hours I opened the browser again, and this time I got the option to buy the 1 day Pass, click it and have no issues to buy it, the $1.49 was deducted from what it was left on my prepaid plan. I was able to get online on the 2G T-mobile with no issues except for the low speeds. I ran a few speed tests, and they were between 64 - 100 kbps on the download, and 100 - 1000 kbps on the upload. The speeds were ok for getting notifications, receive emails, browse sites with not much multimedia content, you tube videos worked at times, and I was not able to get in on some secure sites. So after the experience, it is a good deal for sporadic use or for emergencies, and if you do not want to spend the money on a monthly plan. Regarding the low speedsk I think that there is nothing wrong with the phone it is just the way it is on the TMobile 2G network.

Last edited:

MrSpeeb

Dec 27, 2010
I believe using a prepaid phone will work because it is not a "grey" device although I personally have not tested it. I already proved (to myself at least) that a SIM from a T-Mobile device (not grey) will work in the S7 as will a SIM that is not associated with a pre-paid plan. The information/experience I provided below was solely related to the Webconnect Kit SIM and pre-paid/pay-as-you-go plans.

mrook15

Dec 26, 2010
This is what I did! I went to a TM store and bought what they call a retail loose activation kit #v1010 and they did all the work to set up the card and S7. All they needed was the IMEI from the S7 and then I choose a phone number from a few they had. They entire deal cost me 10 usd and it came with $3.34 pre-loaded to get started. The guy that worked there told that there was no way I would be able to get data on my device with the SIM they sold me, just calls and texts. I told him that I already know of people doing it and he stated that it was impossible, so I told him when it worked I would come back and show him(haven't yet).

For some reason when I tried to access the "web day pass" web site by loading my browser with the WiFi off it did not re-direct me to the site like people stated on here, so I was pretty frustrated. I tried several more times and then suddenly for whatever reason it worked. It is very easy to load more minutes for voice directly by a quick text, and as soon as your 24 hours have expired for the web day pass it will direct you back to the website(as long as WiFi is turned off) and not ask you to enter your credit card information again. It is the Edge network but works just fine for what want it for.

One more thing, when your minutes are getting low for voice you will get a recording before it places the call you are making telling you it's time to reload.

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
Not real impresses with t-mobile yet. Bought a SIM Card Starter Kit directly from their website (voice and data - not the data-only one). Couldn't activate it, either online or with first 3 phone reps, because the activation code they sent was invalid. Could barely make out the third rep, the connection was so bad (they ARE a phone company, right?). The third rep actually dropped my call! The second call/fourth rep finally got me activated. I got data services running but couldn't get to any site other then My theT-mobile. No day pass site. Found a direct link to the day pass: m.web2go.com/myaccount/hourpasssubscribe.do. Clicked that and got congratulated that i successfully got a day pass (and they took my $1.50) but STILL can't get to any site but My T -mobile. Getting frustrated...

Wiz

Jan 7, 2011
slightly off topic but related to the web day pass use, and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

could a pre paid t-mobile sim be used in an unlocked huawei e585 mifi device?
I intend to use the device for mobile internet in various countries and this day pass would be perfect.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
It should work in an unlocked phone if it has the right bands. I used my prepaid (pay as you go) sim chip in my unlocked Iphone. It has the correct bands for voice and edge data- not 3g. At the time prepaid couldn't get any data use but now prepaid can get the $1.49 per 24 hr. data. I believe that is the only type of data plan available to prepaid that is reasonable. $30/ mo for 1500 talk/text and 30 mb data. $50/mo gets you unlimited talk, text and 100 mb data. $70/ mo gets you unlimited talk, text, and 2 GB data.

Last edited:

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
UPDATE: DO NOT BUY A T-MOBILE SIM CARD. After reading this thread, talking to a TM sales rep on the phone, and reading the TM pay as u go site carefully i bought a TM sim activation kit from their site. Finally figured out i could only access sites that had "t-mobile" in the URL. Called support again today and she said that was right - pay as u go sim cards do not have data provisioning, you can only go to TM's mobile web content. I told her their sales rep and the web site said different. She looked at the site and agreed that it contained misinformation and i should return the sim. I asked about the minutes i bought and she wasnt sure if I could get a refund on those! Told her I would contact my attorney general about that. A complete rip-off. So, apparently if u buy a go-phone that has data capabilities you can transfer the sim over, but you can't buy just the prepaid sim.

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
UPDATE: DO NOT BUY A T-MOBILE SIM CARD. After reading this thread, talking to a TM sales rep on the phone, and reading the TM pay as u go site carefully i bought a TM sim activation kit from their site. Finally figured out i could only access sites that had "t-mobile" in the URL. Called support again today and she said that was right - pay as u go sim cards do not have data provisioning, you can only go to TM's mobile web content. I told her their sales rep and the web site said different. She looked at the site and agreed that it contained misinformation and i should return the sim. I asked about the minutes i bought and she wasnt sure if I could get a refund on those! Told her I would contact my attorney general about that. A complete rip-off. So, apparently if u buy a go-phone that has data capabilities you can transfer the sim over, but you can't buy just the prepaid sim.

To be successful, as you stated, and as I've suggessted on this very thread, you should buy a Prepaid (Pay As You Go) Phone kit (that includes a phone + SIM). Activate the phone + SIM using the IMEI from the new phone (NOT THE S7). Here, you have a fully activated SIM on their network with their phone. Now what I did, is I splurged and bought a Samsung t369 phone kit. I did this because I know this phone has a built in browser and could support data. This way I knew the SIM was provisioned correctly with Data. Then you place the SIM in the S7. Now it took about a day (maybe less) for the Web Day Pass page to appear on BOTH the t369 and the S7. In fact, I got it to work first on the t369, purchased the pass on the t369, then moved the SIM to the S7. As I've stated here before, you MUST turn WiFi OFF on the S7, and toggle around with the "DATA SERVICE" button (or go into the Wireless Network settings menu) until you see the "E" symbol next to the signal chevrons, meaning EDGE data. Then open the browser on the S7 and navigate to a webpage. It will redirect you to the Web Day Pass WAP page.

Your milage may vary, but this is how I sucessfully did it.