Tablet For Development

caffeineborg

Staff member
Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for setting this up and getting it started.
Q. What is the ideal and available tablet that would be suited best to start programming for?

My thought is to focus on one device that provides the best platform for doing development for. I have Eclipse and the ADT up and running and have delivered code there.
Now, I want to know next steps. Like building a ROM or whole-new release of the running OS on the device. As well as tablet specific development.
Can you add some details for where you would suggest I get this information?

Thanks in advance

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
For development, you might as well stick with an Android phone like the Nexus One for now. That's going to be the upcoming screen resolution for 800x480 devices. The chipsets are going to be a mess compared to phones. There's not a single platform that really stands out in terms of both popularity and usability at the moment. The Galaxy Tab has good potential, but we will have to see how that Android implementation is going to be like.

If you want information on ROMs, start at XDA developers. Get a Nexus One or another Cyanogenmod compatible phone, and you will be guaranteed to find great community support for the device.

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
My thought is to focus on one device that provides the best platform for doing development for. I have Eclipse and the ADT up and running and have delivered code there.
Now, I want to know next steps. Like building a ROM or whole-new release of the running OS on the device. As well as tablet specific development.
Also note that application development and ROM development are 2 completely different beasts. For the former, any tablet will do - The later version of Android the better, of course. Here's where Eclipse and ADT comes in. No matter what tablet someone has, it will be able to run your app as long as it runs the same or later version of Android as the tablet you're using to test your app.
ROM development is device specific, and has more of Linux development to it.