Tablet locked! Don't know password! HELP!

bekwright

Jan 25, 2012
Last week I bought a 7" Craig Android tablet from a surplus store. It works awesome. Today, I decided to pick up a second one for my mom and when I got it home, I found that it had been opened previously and a password had been set. Is there ANY WAY to fix this? Whoever messed with it before probably set up the gmail account too, so am I screwed? No returns at the surplus store either! I tried tapping the touch screen randomly like it said in the instruction book, but nothing. I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere! I'm desperate!

J

jimbo7630

I dunno if a Factory Reset would help, no doubt another more knowledgeable member will advise. Of course, with hindsight, you should have tried it out in the Surplus Store!

bekwright

Jan 25, 2012
It was an Amish surplus store. No electric. The first one worked fine. I didn't anticipate this one to have already been opened. How can I even do a factory reset of I can't get past the password part?

J

jimbo7630

Afraid I'm no expert in resets but there is usually a tiny pinhole which allows a straightened Paper clip to push the really tiny button inside, then there is the so called "Three finger " reset but someone else will have to explain that one.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It was an Amish surplus store. No electric. The first one worked fine. I didn't anticipate this one to have already been opened. How can I even do a factory reset of I can't get past the password part?

You bought a tablet at an Amish surplus store! HaHAHAHAhaHa :D There are many people who would give their arm for a tablet and yet here they are collecting dust on the shelves of Amish surplus stores. Thanks for making my day that is one of the funniest things I have heard in a while.

JP

bekwright

Jan 25, 2012
You bought a tablet at an Amish surplus store! HaHAHAHAhaHa :D There are many people who would give their arm for a tablet and yet here they are collecting dust on the shelves of Amish surplus stores. Thanks for making my day that is one of the funniest things I have heard in a while.

JP
Thank you for laughing at me. I came here looking for help, not to be laughed at. No worries...he's taking it back and switching it with another one

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure he wasn't laughing at you. More the fact of the amish selling electronics at a surplus store. Jp has been very helpful on the forum.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thank you for laughing at me. I came here looking for help, not to be laughed at. No worries...he's taking it back and switching it with another one

Sorry, Blwnv8 is right, I'm not laughing at you but the irony of what you described. As far as solutions did you read jimbo7630's post? Look for a pinhole to reset or see if there is a button combination for your device that will reset it. Those are the basic solutions and you should start with the basics.

JP

lilpoop

Nov 29, 2011
Hi bekwright,

If it is a Craig model 738b, I don't think the reset button will help. It can be "rooted" with a Micro SD card that has a file labeled "update".

Original firmware here : CraigCMP738BOrigRom.img

How to do it? Others have done a lot of work to try & get these tablets functioning at a higher level. "m3red's" thread explains it in much more detail. The thread that I'm referring to can be found

Here : Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

Lastly, I too am amused by the irony of comparing "people who don't use electricity" and "WiFi touch-screen 7-inch tablet". And yes, I do realize that Amish traditions don't require them to impose their restrictions on others; i.e. they can sell electronics to others.

It's just funny as can be to someone like me, who only sees Amish from a distance.

Last edited:

lilymom3

Dec 27, 2011
I have cmp738b with a pattern lock set. I just happened to check what wifi I had the day before and it is not the Realtek (did not see the 8188). So I downloaded the firmware, changed the name to update.img, copied to microsd and usb flashdrive. My problem is it doesn't ask any questions or do anything except go to the patternlock screen. How can I force the firmware to do its thing? btw I also tried connecting usb cable to pc and it doesn't seem to recognize it. Any other suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

BernardM

Jun 12, 2012
I have cmp738b with a pattern lock set. I just happened to check what wifi I had the day before and it is not the Realtek (did not see the 8188). So I downloaded the firmware, changed the name to update.img, copied to microsd and usb flashdrive. My problem is it doesn't ask any questions or do anything except go to the patternlock screen. How can I force the firmware to do its thing? btw I also tried connecting usb cable to pc and it doesn't seem to recognize it. Any other suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Follow the youtube video. It worked for me for the same unit.. Just use the correct ROM image. Tried it three times before it finally worked. The first and second image i used could have been for other Model with RALink Tech not Realtek wireless...

Visit also this link...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...orking-android-market-clean-rom-img-file.html

Last edited by a moderator: