Tablet SSD form factor

gatorback

Jul 9, 2011
I have had a hard time Google-ing the form SSD factor. Are OEMs integrating flash NAND directly on the board or are they boxing memory? It wouldn't surprise if the answer is 'both'. I ask because when I select my first tablet, I would like to have an upgrade path so that I can maintain a 'fleet' of tablets.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
At this time 99%+ use nothing but Flash NAND wave soldered to the MoBo for storage. This is the cheapest model for internal storage. It would be doubtful they would offer an upgrade path for two specific reasons.
1. Cost. Even the new Single Chip SSDs would be far more expensive than Flash NAND
2. Ease of access not available. I know of no Tablet with an easy access to internals. They are generally sealed units.
Upgrade of Storage is limited right now as you know to the SD/MicroSD slot.

There has been talk, but nothing really delivered for mass use.

gatorback

Jul 9, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The Archos A5 series A70 Gen 8 and the A70-G9 are the reason I said 99.9%. They are the exception. And they used normal HD not SSD. All of the Archos HDs are serialized to the MoBo such that you cannot just switch drives easily. It can be done. But note, the serialization is one of the griefs for Archos owners.
BTW: The Iconia you reference are the Intel models not the Android models. As Far as I am aware the A series do not use MSATA.